Suns hire Frank Vogel as next head coach

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you're trying to tell me that Bill Simmons was ... r-r-r ... uh ... r-raaah, r-rrraahh ... wrong???? Is nothing sacred? At least we still have Flex from New Jersey.
:lmao:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, Gambo is saying Young could be back. Young is supposed to know offense. Vogel defense. That seems to be a match made in heaven but he might want to move on after not getting the job. Vogel's weakness is said to be offensive execution which is scary considering that the Suns have had major issues breaking down defenses. Seems like they need to get Vogel a strong offensive minded assistant.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm down...just hope it's not like Terry Porter cause he was 'defense' cause that was disgusting. I've always liked Vogel. Wonder if they've told Young he's next if the team does really well?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So, Gambo is saying Young could be back. Young is supposed to know offense. Vogel defense. That seems to be a match made in heaven but he might want to move on after not getting the job. Vogel's weakness is said to be offensive execution which is scary considering that the Suns have had major issues breaking down defenses. Seems like they need to get Vogel a strong offensive minded assistant.
I logged in to write this. IF Ishbia is behind this, as is the guessing by some, I think it's brilliant. You convince Vogel to retain someone that your stars wanted, while addressing weaknesses that possible future coach (Young) may have, such as defense and experience. Vogel's weakness, offense, is the strength of Young. You also are paying the new guy less than the previous coach, and is "affordable" if you need to move on. So Young gets to learn the defensive side from Vogel, coaching experience of a coach who has won during playoffs. Eventually, if the plan works, Young is the hire down the road. Vogel could learn from Young about offense. A win/win situation for both coaches.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Roster construction will be interesting. It starts with what to do with Ayton. Vogel has seen upfront what he can do to teams as he dispatched his Lakers in 2021, so it wouldnt surprise me if he asked to keep him on the team. However, if he decided to trade him away, it'll be nothing but rugged defenders. Terrance Ross aint coming back.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I logged in to write this. IF Ishbia is behind this, as is the guessing by some, I think it's brilliant. You convince Vogel to retain someone that your stars wanted, while addressing weaknesses that possible future coach (Young) may have, such as defense and experience. Vogel's weakness, offense, is the strength of Young. You also are paying the new guy less than the previous coach, and is "affordable" if you need to move on. So Young gets to learn the defensive side from Vogel, coaching experience of a coach who has won during playoffs. Eventually, if the plan works, Young is the hire down the road. Vogel could learn from Young about offense. A win/win situation for both coaches.
Does all this mean that Monty wasn't listening offensive assistant (Young)? Cuz the offense we saw this season and in the playoffs was fugly.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Roster construction will be interesting. It starts with what to do with Ayton. Vogel has seen upfront what he can do to teams as he dispatched his Lakers in 2021, so it wouldnt surprise me if he asked to keep him on the team. However, if he decided to trade him away, it'll be nothing but rugged defenders. Terrance Ross aint coming back.
Terrance Ross
Of course we get the absolute worst post deadline acquisition.

PHI PHX PHAN

Rookie
Reaction score
I think Vogel is the "get it done now" guy and is only liable to be here 3 yrs max. He gets the reigns during the final hoorah of Book and KD. If it hasn't happened after that 3 yr window, then they have Young to take over the rebuild (initially) and begin his resume as an HC.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
What a HUGE FAIL with your first move as an owner, you really just traded Monte for Vogel? Frank Vogel? Really?
I do not look forward to the future of this team. The absolute levels of retardation required to replace Monte with Vogel can only come from someone who has no clue what he's doing. Does Costco sell large tubs of Vaseline? Gonna need it.
Weird reaction.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
So you're trying to tell me that Bill Simmons was ... r-r-r ... uh ... r-raaah, r-rrraahh ... wrong???? Is nothing sacred? At least we still have Flex from New Jersey.
At least he admits it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a HUGE FAIL with your first move as an owner, you really just traded Monte for Vogel? Frank Vogel? Really?
I do not look forward to the future of this team. The absolute levels of retardation required to replace Monte with Vogel can only come from someone who has no clue what he's doing. Does Costco sell large tubs of Vaseline? Gonna need it.

I will wait and see. Certainly, I didn't see this type of coaching change happening.

It feels more lateral, although I think it was time to move on after two playoff collapses with Monty at the helm. I did love Monty as a person.

However, I will continue to cast more question marks about James Jones. What kind of roster was that he assembled for the 2022-23 playoffs?

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We need that defense to stop the Nugs. They are setting up something vicious in Denver barring injury. I do believe the Nuggets and the emphasis on defense is the motivation for this hire.
As for the the nuggets they were held back by injuries the last few years as I remember saying to myself I would hate to play them when and if they get healthy

Fitting the saying we have a mountain to climb, they impress me

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I saw a podcast, Locked on Suns, and Brendon Kleen outlined the different ways Vogel used AD on their championship run. Vogel supposedly have AD doing different defenses to help confuse the opposing teams. The point being, is he doesn't use bigs the same way all the time. Could he do this with Ayton? Or would we trade for a big that makes more sense to Vogel? I guess we will see.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Terrance Ross
Of course we get the absolute worst post deadline acquisition.
He was the worst huh. Who was the best?

As far as I could tell, as usual, just about nobody picked up was very helpful. I guess Kevin Love helped a bit for awhile, but he certainly wouldn't have got us past Denver.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was the worst huh. Who was the best?

As far as I could tell, as usual, just about nobody picked up was very helpful. I guess Kevin Love helped a bit for awhile, but he certainly wouldn't have got us past Denver.

Of the buyouts, the Nuggets grabbed Reggie Jackson. That was a smart move, although the Nuggets have barely played him if at all in the playoffs.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Ross improved quite a bit defensively over the short span on the Suns. His defense was Ok in the Denver series. I blame it on the bad Magic team where he was not asked to play D of any sort.
This Vogel hire gives hope that we can use Okogie and Craig better than Monty did. Okogie particular is an excellent defender who can make the likes of Murray, Doncic and even Zion uncomfortable. Monty gave up on him for offense, which was no match to Denvers.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I saw a podcast, Locked on Suns, and Brendon Kleen outlined the different ways Vogel used AD on their championship run. Vogel supposedly have AD doing different defenses to help confuse the opposing teams. The point being, is he doesn't use bigs the same way all the time. Could he do this with Ayton? Or would we trade for a big that makes more sense to Vogel? I guess we will see.
AD was a generational defender early in his career back to his one season as Kentucky. Defensive mastermind or not I don’t see Vogel reaching Ayton and if Book/KD are sick of him there’s nothing a coach can do.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Of the buyouts, the Nuggets grabbed Reggie Jackson. That was a smart move, although the Nuggets have barely played him if at all in the playoffs.
Because he’s stunk this season. Why are you having such a difficult time accepting this? It’s been pointed out to you repeatedly.