Suns hire Frank Vogel as next head coach

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
If you're going to beat Denver you're going to do it with a lot of defense - part of their game allows them to build a lead and just trade buckets afterwards - watched them do it to Miami last night

That's the thing about the nuggets - they score at will even when Jokic is on the bench

With that being said - I think it's time we all acknowledge the elephant in the locker room and how it disappearing on the court will literally destroy any chances of Vogel having a quality defense

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I like the hire. His name caught my attention when it first surfaced. The Suns don't have the luxury of experimenting. They need someone who can create a vision for leading the team to a title from the moment he signs the contract.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Solid hire! I loved his Indiana teams back in the day. He will take care of the defense for sure. On offense, he is obviously used to coaching stars, but I am not really sure how good he is when it comes to offense. He is better than Monty, but I really don't know just how good he is. Not a sexy hire, but a very solid one. I would like to see a great offensive assistant coach next to Vogel.

Peter Sheldon

Veteran
Reaction score
If you're going to beat Denver you're going to do it with a lot of defense - part of their game allows them to build a lead and just trade buckets afterwards - watched them do it to Miami last night

That's the thing about the nuggets - they score at will even when Jokic is on the bench

With that being said - I think it's time we all acknowledge the elephant in the locker room and how it disappearing on the court will literally destroy any chances of Vogel having a quality defense
Would that elephant have a Bahamian accent?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Why would Vogel agree to that?
If he wasn't going to be the final choice in either Phoenix or Toronto, perhaps he would bank on the Young hire being more tenuous/bigger chance of getting the job? Plus Ishbia is really really rich!

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What a HUGE FAIL with your first move as an owner, you really just traded Monte for Vogel? Frank Vogel? Really?
I do not look forward to the future of this team. The absolute levels of retardation required to replace Monte with Vogel can only come from someone who has no clue what he's doing. Does Costco sell large tubs of Vaseline? Gonna need it.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Takeaways:

6.2 million
Ishbia wanted splash and moved off of Kevin Young
Simmons is taking the L...and you can't spell Bill without 2 L's...lol
1st Suns HC who has previous championship
Book wanted Young
Doc Rivers simultaneously tweeted he was removing himself from contention...lol
It's Young's choice to stay or go

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
What a HUGE FAIL with your first move as an owner, you really just traded Monte for Vogel? Frank Vogel? Really?
I do not look forward to the future of this team. The absolute levels of retardation required to replace Monte with Vogel can only come from someone who has no clue what he's doing. Does Costco sell large tubs of Vaseline? Gonna need it.
1st of all, Ishbia's first move as an owner was to trade away the current bench and future of the team for an aging superstar. 2nd, at least this guy (Vogel) has experience coaching difficult players and having success.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
A little worried about this hire. I don't necessarily think it's a step back, but not sure how much better we can expect to be.

While Vogel has had his teams ranked highly defensively, his offenses have been pretty bad. He has coached one team to top 10 in offense and that wasn't any of the years he was with the Lakers either.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill Simmons scrubbing the egg off.
He has been saying it over and over. Although I would have preferred Nick Nurse this is better than Young. This delay certainly sounded like there was debate in the organization between Young and Vogel. Not sure I would consider this a great hire but at least it's someone new.

Now the front office needs to get him some additional horses.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m happy about this. Preferred nurse but Vogel is a cerebral coach. And he’s architected some great defenses. Will be interested to see who he includes as he builds out his staff.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
So you're trying to tell me that Bill Simmons was ... r-r-r ... uh ... r-raaah, r-rrraahh ... wrong???? Is nothing sacred? At least we still have Flex from New Jersey.
Ha! Agreed. Bill was very confident and I believed it. Crow all around.

My first thought is that we do not have the personnel to play his schemes. Not sure where that takes us but we don't have the defensive horses he wants.

I like him better than Nurse, but would have preferred Young over him at this point.

Let's see what happens i guess.