New Kickoff Rule Questions ?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Does the receiving team have the option to refuse to move the ball forward to the 25 on a fair catch within the 25 yard line? What if they fair catch a ball at the 30 or 40, does it stay there or move back to the 25? What happens if there is a penalty on the kickoff while being fair caught?

You gotta understand, I worry about these things? They keep me up at night.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Does the receiving team have the option to refuse to move the ball forward to the 25 on a fair catch within the 25 yard line? What if they fair catch a ball at the 30 or 40, does it stay there or move back to the 25? What happens if there is a penalty on the kickoff while being fair caught?

If it's fair caught inside the 25, then it's placed at the 25....if it's not fair caught, then it's just a regular return. Anything fair caught outside the 25 would remain where it's fair caught.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

My guess would be if there was a penalty it would be treated like any other on a fair catch.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It would be hilarious when guys are running to try to fair catch a ball they normally would let go just to get the extra yards and cause fumbles(hilarious part)/injuries.

This rule might backfire as it will result in fewer hits, but more crazy situations. Situations where the injury potential actually increases.

I also see guys waiting until the last second to squeeze an advantage. Teams might start trying high and short kickoffs (aim for the 20-25) or squib kicks to get around the rules. Can't fair catch a squib.

I think there will be some crazy stuff that comes out of this, so let's see how this plays out.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
It would be hilarious when guys are running to try to fair catch a ball they normally would let go just to get the extra yards and cause fumbles(hilarious part)/injuries.

This rule might backfire as it will result in fewer hits, but more crazy situations. Situations where the injury potential actually increases.

I also see guys waiting until the last second to squeeze an advantage. Teams might start trying high and short kickoffs (aim for the 20-25) or squib kicks to get around the rules. Can't fair catch a squib.

I think there will be some crazy stuff that comes out of this, so let's see how this plays out.
Do they actually have to field it? Like in College they just raise their hand and head to the sidelines.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think squib kicking will be the new rage. And why not?

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What would be the point of that? The receiving team gets it at the 25 whether the kick went to the 20 or through the end zone.
Because a high and short kickoff where you aim for the line creates uncertainty, and you have to field it or else it's an onside kick.

A guy running up from the 5 or 10 to the 25 to catch something isn't as easy as it sounds. Lots more chances of muffs and you have to actually catch it for it to be a fair catch. Of course if it's a blocker that has to catch it, well again, things will happen occasionally with that.

If the returner lets it bounce crazy stuff happens. Even if you secure it most times, you won't necessarily get it back to the 25.

The difficulty will be getting the lift on shorter tees. It would have been smart for the ST coaches to have lobbied for higher tees as a concession. Maybe it still can in future years, but doubtful since NFL doesn't want these to be plays that do anything now.

Additionally, it might alter the formation of how many and who/what you put back there.

That then of course leaves you open to an actual on-side kick.

Like I said also, squibs are immune to fair catches, so I'd expect alot of them to be squibs.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Because a high and short kickoff where you aim for the line creates uncertainty, and you have to field it or else it's an onside kick.

Don't they still have the rule that if the kickoff goes out of bounds the receiving team gets it at the 40, or something like that? Sounds like a high-risk low-reward play.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't they still have the rule that if the kickoff goes out of bounds the receiving team gets it at the 40, or something like that? Sounds like a high-risk low-reward play.
Yes, but 25 to 40 is less of a penalty differential than a consistent 15-20 (or better) placement under past rules.

Additionally, squibs and high kicks aren't hard to keep out of bounds if you're trying to keep it between the hashes. I think lots of times they're trying for the corner and screw up. You don't even need to kick it as far, as if you can get it to the 10 with a squib that's great. Less power in the kick = more control of it and less chance of error.

Plus this would then be something that's practiced more and taken into consideration when signing a kicker. A new skill attribute to consider.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave