Did a potential deal for Hopkins unravel?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Crazy stuff man. I still think Hop would have made more money just ridding with the contract he had wit AZ. But time will tell, usually a player gets all butt hurt and takes less, to play else where. He could have balled out this year and got that one last payday next year.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Crazy stuff man. I still think Hop would have made more money just ridding with the contract he had wit AZ. But time will tell, usually a player gets all butt hurt and takes less, to play else where. He could have balled out this year and got that one last payday next year.
See: Badger, Honey

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If the draft compensation is only like a 5th round pick, it's not worth it.

All reports now indicate no one wants Hopkins at a high cap number.
Yes. No one wants him in June. Sharp analysis there.

All reports also indicate that there were offers for him in March and Monti wouldn’t budge from his ask of a second + another asset.

Now he got nothing except that folks on Cardinals Underground saying we lost Hop but gained $22 million in cap relief in 2024.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If the draft compensation is only like a 5th round pick, it's not worth it.

All reports now indicate no one wants Hopkins at a high cap number.
If it's merely Bidwill shelling out cash, sure it is, IMO. If it's Bidwill going "but then I won't have enough money to run the organization," then no, but of course that opens up the topic of all the other cancerous problems in this organization.

I certainly would not be in on it if they wanted the Cards to pay the majority.

Stout

Reaction score

All reports also indicate that there were offers for him in March and Monti wouldn’t budge from his ask of a second + another asset.

Now he got nothing except that folks on Cardinals Underground saying we lost Hop but gained $22 million in cap relief in 2024.
Yup.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

You can spin it however you want, but no one offered a substantial asset for Hopkins.

They offered bleh compensation AND wanted the Cardinals to eat more of his money.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If it's merely Bidwill shelling out cash, sure it is, IMO. If it's Bidwill going "but then I won't have enough money to run the organization," then no, but of course that opens up the topic of all the other cancerous problems in this organization.

I certainly would not be in on it if they wanted the Cards to pay the majority.
Which is what ALL reports indicate.

Stout

Reaction score
You can spin it however you want, but no one offered a substantial asset for Hopkins.

They offered bleh compensation AND wanted the Cardinals to eat more of his money.
More goal post moving. "Substantial asset" my left foot. If we traded him for compensation last week rather than announcing his release, we would've at least garnered something. Perhaps if Monti hadn't misread the market we could've recouped a mid-round pick, but at least a 6th or 7th would be far better and less embarrassing that a nothing burger--in the middle of a rebuild no less.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
More goal post moving. "Substantial asset" my left foot. If we traded him for compensation last week rather than announcing his release, we would've at least garnered something. Perhaps if Monti hadn't misread the market we could've recouped a mid-round pick, but at least a 6th or 7th would be far better and less embarrassing that a nothing burger--in the middle of a rebuild no less.

I think Monti could've gotten a 2024 third before the draft. I don't think that he could've gotten anything at any time after the draft. Cap money had dried up, teams started feeling good about their draft picks.

It's hard to find a way to accommodate a $19 million cap charge if you're not planning for it in advance, especially when the alternative is waiting and maybe getting him for less money.

After mandatory minicamps next week, the entire NFL is going to go on vacation for a month. I expect we'll see Hopkins signed before then, but there's no reason he can't decide to dip out on all that and sign a deal during training camp.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Several teams were interested if the Cards would eat some of the salary. Simply put the Cards decided not to buy another draft pick.
the Breer article said the Cards were willing to eat *some* of the salary... but then the OBJ contract dropped and Hop's price went up

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

the entire thing is worth a read (although for a professional writer, his usage of "they" and "its" creates some confusion over who was ready to do what)

some excerpts for those that dont want to click through:

Arizona’s initial asking price was a second-round pick and another asset, but by the end, it was willing to part with him for a lot less than that. And my sense is it’d have considered picking up a chunk of his salary (obviously the higher the pick, the more it might give) to get, say, a top-100 pick. But, again, there simply wasn’t interest in paying Hopkins top dollar and giving up a Day 2 draft pick for him.

Hopkins’s camp tried to push Arizona to pick up more money, but there was nothing really compelling them to do so without a premium pick attached to the deal. This wasn’t like the Brandin Cooks or Allen Robinson trades, where the Texans and Rams, respectively, were dealing with guaranteed money, and picking some up meant getting to not pay the rest.

Kansas City made progress toward a deal, but things went a little sideways when Odell Beckham Jr. got $15 million in base pay from Baltimore, making Hopkins feel like he should land at least that much, given that Beckham didn’t play last year. The Chiefs wound up giving free-agent left tackle Donovan Smith a deal structured similarly to the offer they made Hopkins, which will make it more difficult for Kansas City to circle back.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Monti could've gotten a 2024 third before the draft. I don't think that he could've gotten anything at any time after the draft. Cap money had dried up, teams started feeling good about their draft picks.

It's hard to find a way to accommodate a $19 million cap charge if you're not planning for it in advance, especially when the alternative is waiting and maybe getting him for less money.

After mandatory minicamps next week, the entire NFL is going to go on vacation for a month. I expect we'll see Hopkins signed before then, but there's no reason he can't decide to dip out on all that and sign a deal during training camp.
You think he could have?

I thought you said he HAD a substantial offer that he turned down

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

"sports" umm ya ok

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose