What's the Very First Song you Remember Liking

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Go back in time, and as a kid can you think of the first hit song you heard that you liked? This should date all of us!

The first song I actually remember and can picture listening to (through a juke box in a soda/burger shop as an 8 yr old kid) was At the Hop by Danny and the Juniors, 1958. I put my own nickel back in the Juke Box right after that so I could hear it once again. (I had to look up the dates to see if that was a few weeks before or after the release of Johnny B Goode by Chuck Berry.)

I don't specifically remember listening to the Platters or Elvis, but am sure I heard at least one of their hits prior to that.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater. On a record I had as a kid.

LOL, I was going to mention that, but then decided it was more of a gimmick for me to consider it a "proper song".

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Someone gave me the 45 and a little portable phonograph. First tune I can remember playing over and over. Probably because it was the only record in my "collection." Still brings up fond memories even though I never really took to Country or Western music.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't remember which song I really liked first but here are three songs that made a strong early impression.

Diamonds and Rust - Joan Baez

Hard Headed Woman - Yusuf / Cat Stevens

Bob Seger - Night Moves

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Hot for Teacher - Van Halen

It's about the best I can remember. I know 1984 was the first cassette that I ever owned as a kid when I was 9. If it's not Hot then it would be Jump or Panama off of it but Hot for Teacher stands out in my head more. Probably due to the video…

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Walk, Don't Run. It seems every local band played it, including my brother's band. It was a catchy instrumental tune that I have also played many times.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's Only Make Believe (1958), Twitty singing a bit like Elvis before Conway went Country. My oldest brother was washing the dishes (with my help) and he could do a credible Elvis so he couldn't resist this song. I tried to mimic him but at 4 years old, it was a bridge too far. And it was still a bridge too far at 20 but I kept on singing - loudly, poorly and often.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alley Oop might be about the 1st. 1960ish. I lived in Phx back then.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave