The Suns' search for a New Coach Thread

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's never that simple. The Suns lack of depth in the middle didn't help.
Saying the Bucks were better is oversimplification. We played a big part of beating ourselves. We made very little adjustments to boot which is one of the main reasons Monty is no longer here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saying the Bucks were better is oversimplification. We played a big part of beating ourselves. We made very little adjustments to boot which is one of the main reasons Monty is no longer here.

The Suns need to fix the here and now. I'm not interested in breaking down that series again.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns need to fix the here and now. I'm not interested in breaking down that series again.
No need. We all know what happened the past 3 seasons around here. That was just one log on the fire.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not saying this is not true but you take the chance he was part of the problem. If he was, you just saddled this team with more of the same problem for the next several years and likely during this window. This team needs fresh blood.
You consider Vogel or god forbid Doc Rivers fresh blood? Doc Rivers is a proven failure.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You consider Vogel or god forbid Doc Rivers fresh blood? Doc Rivers is a proven failure.
Maybe you don't understand the definition of fresh blood? Also, I never advocated for Rivers.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe you don't understand the definition of fresh blood? Also, I never advocated for Rivers.
I do. I just don't understand how you think an assistant with no real control over anything isn't fresh blood. It's pretty clear to me at least Monty is a control freak.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do. I just don't understand how you think an assistant with no real control over anything isn't fresh blood.
That is pure assumption on your part. What if he did have a say? How is that fresh blood? That's why I prefer a new staff. No to mention having a first time HC, learning on the job, how to be a HC doesn't exactly scream title during our window.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That is pure assumption on your part. What if he did have a say? How is that fresh blood? That's why I prefer a new staff. No to mention having a first time HC, learning on the job, how to be a HC doesn't exactly scream title during our window.
If he had say in what was happening than JJ probably knows that. If they do hire him than it probably has a lot to do with both the ideas that they heard from him while he was here or the ideas that he presented in the interview for how he would do things differently to help the team do better. No matter what we are only left to speculate, but we can likely all agree that JJ and Ishbia are privy to things going on in the background that we aren't.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I do. I just don't understand how you think an assistant with no real control over anything isn't fresh blood. It's pretty clear to me at least Monty is a control freak.
If they hire Young I think it confirms that. This is Mat Ishbia’s hire and he likes making splashy moves so he must’ve made one hell of an impression on the owner if they’re going with what will be seen as a lukewarm/boring hire.

I think JJ is just a seat cover that has a good reputation with players around the league. He’s not formulating significant moves.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he had say in what was happening than JJ probably knows that. If they do hire him than it probably has a lot to do with both the ideas that they heard from him while he was here or the ideas that he presented in the interview for how he would do things differently to help the team do better. No matter what we are only left to speculate, but we can likely all agree that JJ and Ishbia are privy to things going on in the background that we aren't.
Depends. I don't think JJ was attending coaching sessions or coach sessions. That to me is where most of that happens. I have never heard of JJ being intimate with the coaching stuff. I have no clue how close or far JJ was to any of this.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Depends. I don't think JJ was attending coaching sessions or coach sessions. That to me is where most of that happens. I have never heard of JJ being intimate with the coaching stuff. I have no clue how close or far JJ was to any of this.
Not sure I agree with that. I'm pretty sure JJ spent a lot of time at the practice facility during the summer and during the season. Couldn't tell you how much of the coaching stuff he was listening to, but I imagine he heard his fair share of it. He also conducted post season talks with the players where he likely would have gotten some feedback about the coaching as well.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

In my opinion, there is no way that JJ doesn't know what's going on under Monty. I cannot imagine me not being aware of different theories/ schools of thought within a group I manage. I intentionally stay out of the weeds, but I am very aware of what's going on. I don't believe there is a way for JJ not to know what's going on.

I don't have a strong opinion on Young, but I would not be surprised if the assistants were banging their head against the wall screaming for Monty to do A, B, and C, and Monty ignoring them. I can see Monty being a control freak and "going with his gut."

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Not sure I agree with that. I'm pretty sure JJ spent a lot of time at the practice facility during the summer and during the season. Couldn't tell you how much of the coaching stuff he was listening to, but I imagine he heard his fair share of it. He also conducted post season talks with the players where he likely would have gotten some feedback about the coaching as well.

Agreed. I am also sure that he talks to the players and hears things.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's different then being involved in day to day coaching sessions. I seriously doubt that ever happens. Keep in mind JJ is also the President of Basketball operations since 2022 which involves day to day business stuff as well. I seriously, doubt James was involved in coaching strategies.

That doesn't mean he was in the dark which is not what I am saying.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's different then being involved in day to day coaching sessions. I seriously doubt that ever happens. Keep in mind JJ is also the President of Basketball operations since 2022 which involves day to day business stuff as well. I seriously, doubt James was involved in coaching strategies.

That doesn't mean he was in the dark which is not what I am saying.
Yeab but he's only held that position for 6 months so I don't think that extra burden had any impact on his opportunities to know what was going on at the coaching level. I'm sure he was aware of much of what was going on but I'd agree he likely had no involvement in coaching strategies.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JJ Reddick and Stephen A. Smith debate Kevin Young for the Suns head coaching position.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is something to watch, if one wants to listen to further discussion about the Suns coaching search.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose