I’m Not the Only One Who Thinks They’re Tanking

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm not hating on anybody I'm pointing out the obvious, I think this horse has been beat dead enough, time to move on, I'm tired of the tanking talk.
So why mention dark siders? Everybody has beaten this horse to death.

If you're tired of the tanking talk, I think you're in for a long season, because it will be talked about early and often.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
So why mention dark siders? Everybody has beaten this horse to death.

If you're tired of the tanking talk, I think you're in for a long season, because it will be talked about early and often.
I will not use "Dark-Siders" when addressing the rebuilding of the Cardinals, however feel free to call me a Kool-Aid drinkin' optimist!

If the Cardinals are "Tanking" they could have done that with Kliff Kingsbury and saved some dough, they are stripping this team down and rebuilding, cleaning out the cancer from the start!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I will not use "Dark-Siders" when addressing the rebuilding of the Cardinals, however feel free to call me a Kool-Aid drinkin' optimist!

If the Cardinals are "Tanking" they could have done that with Kliff Kingsbury and saved some dough, they are stripping this team down and rebuilding, cleaning out the cancer from the start!
Michael Bidwill is walking away from the franchise?

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a joke to say we aren't purposefully tanking. If we aren't, Monti is just a raving moron.
Cmon brother, ease up. The team was a pile of poop when everyone was healthy. Its time to tear it down and rebuild with better young talent.

Were going to have to take our lumps but it needs to happen

Stout

Reaction score
Cmon brother, ease up. The team was a pile of poop when everyone was healthy. Its time to tear it down and rebuild with better young talent.

Were going to have to take our lumps but it needs to happen
Oh, I didn't say I was opposed to the tank. I want us to tank away in 2023 and have been on record as thinking this.

Stout

Reaction score
well certianly. It shouldnt be that difficult now that the GM who sucked at drafting is not a part of the organization anymore. We can only go up during the Monti era
C'mon man, don't jinx us like that! :)

I think what K9 meant was Monti's already not doing a good enough job infusing this roster with young talent. If you solely build through the draft, it's going to take forever--like, 5 or more seasons--to rebuild the roster. Monti did nothing to infuse this team with young talent in FA. In fact, he made the roster worse in that respect.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
serious question:

is it considered tanking if you decide you would rather save, lets say, 5 roster spots for UDFA or late round picks vs. NFL vets with 3-6 years experience making the league minimum ---

under the theory that you might find 1 or 2 players in the former group that will be part of the team in 2024 and 2025 vs. the latter group that are typically one season and done: but at the cost of having a less win ready roster in 2023.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Cool. So not rooting out the cancer, then. Did you think Kliff was the cancer, or the guy who Michael Bidwill put in charge of the organization?
I'm talking about rebuilding a team, not selling the franchise, maybe cancer was a bad choice of word, just like the word tanking.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
serious question:

is it considered tanking if you decide you would rather save, lets say, 5 roster spots for UDFA or late round picks vs. NFL vets with 3-6 years experience making the league minimum ---

under the theory that you might find 1 or 2 players in the former group that will be part of the team in 2024 and 2025 vs. the latter group that are typically one season and done: but at the cost of having a less win ready roster in 2023.
The last five roster spots are usually in constant churn on every team in the NFL, regardless of their current interests in winning football games. There are 90 players that come to camp; 52 make the final roster. If the Cards are more interested in keeping UDFA Daniel Arias over Andre Baccellia, no one will care.

The tank is really exemplified by:

1) Letting both Byron Murphy and Zach Allen leave and replacing them with a third-round pick who played seven games for Syracuse and cap flexibility, respectively.

2) Releasing your All Pro wide receiver and replacing him with a second-round pick from Stanford who played six games last season and 14 in the past three seasons(!!!!!!!!). His breakout season occurred before anyone knew what COVID 19 was.

3) Deciding that you don't need a center with more than a handful of games starting experience in camp.

4) Looking at your depth chart and deciding you're very fine having Leki Fotu and Rashard Lawrence as your likely starters at DT.

5) Having less than $41 million in guaranteed salary on the books in 2024.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
They are about to rollout a 37-year-old Colt McCoy as their opening day starting QB. Who doesn't think they are tanking?

Well, we actually have two QB's worse than McCoy currently on the roster. McCoy has a small chance of actually beating a mediocre Commanders team. We should start Blough if we want to guarantee the tank success.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Well, we actually have two QB's worse than McCoy currently on the roster. McCoy has a small chance of actually beating a mediocre Commanders team. We should start Blough if we want to guarantee the tank success.
best way to start the tankage might be "seeing something special" in the rookie Tune

let him start the first couple few games only to find out he needs more time especially with no offensive line

Boom

0-3

Or would that be too obvious

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

You need a coach to buy into tank, see Brian Flores.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Tanking is just another name for not fielding a competitive team to benefit from NFL rules, especially regarding draft position.
The difference is intent and it is an important distinction.
We are not likely to field a great team this season nor to win a lot of games. But i agree with Bob...the actual intent is a teardown and rebuild. A frame off restoration...they are taking the military approach of tearing it down in order to control the form as it is rebuilt.
It suxx as a fan. But it is necessary. My only huge concern is Mike. If he remains the meddling bungling idiot he has been made out to be we will not likely see long term benefits.
If thats the case then the process is pointless.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
well certianly. It shouldnt be that difficult now that the GM who sucked at drafting is not a part of the organization anymore. We can only go up during the Monti era
What better young talent are we going with to replace Byron Murphy? Zach Allen? JJ Watt? Hopkins? Justin Pugh? I must have missed that part of the off-season.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
A frame off restoration...they are taking the military approach of tearing it down in order to control the form as it is rebuilt.
This analogy has absolutely nothing to do with building a football team.
But it is necessary.
According to who? People continue to say this ad nauseum without the slightest justification defending it.
My only huge concern is Mike. If he remains the meddling bungling idiot he has been made out to be we will not likely see long term benefits.
It's a fair concern. Very few teams are able to overcome a bad owner, and we have one of the worst.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The difference is intent and it is an important distinction.
We are not likely to field a great team this season nor to win a lot of games. But i agree with Bob...the actual intent is a teardown and rebuild. A frame off restoration...they are taking the military approach of tearing it down in order to control the form as it is rebuilt.
It suxx as a fan. But it is necessary. My only huge concern is Mike. If he remains the meddling bungling idiot he has been made out to be we will not likely see long term benefits.
If thats the case then the process is pointless.
I would argue that if you were tearing it down and rebuilding, there would not be a place for Ertz or Conner or Beachum on this roster. Also, you would have started re-building in free agency vs skipping free agency.

Our offseason is broken down to this.

1 - We let some of our best, young players sign elsewhere.

2 - Participated in the draft, prioritizing 2024 assets.

3 - Cut our best player.

None of this fits the "building" part of "rebuilding".

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You need a coach to buy into tank, see Brian Flores.

I don't know. The Texans didn't have coaches buying into the tank; they had to strip the roster to the bone to keep their team drafting high.

They did such a good job that many here expect the Texans to be one of the five worst teams in the NFL next year.

People keep pointing to Detroit as the alternative model, but that only works if Kyler Murray comes back to life.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose