Cardinals announce they have released Hopkins - Signed with Titans

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Hopkins value will bear out when he signs with another team and we see how much that team is willing to pay him for his services. That alone will tell us whether a trade was ever possible with the salary he would come with in a trade.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Hopkins value will bear out when he signs with another team and we see how much that team is willing to pay him for his services. That alone will tell us whether a trade was ever possible with the salary he would come with in a trade.
Salary and years. I have a feeling he'll get a 2 year deal that's really a 1 year deal.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Salary and years. I have a feeling he'll get a 2 year deal that's really a 1 year deal.
He had a 2 year deal that was really a one-year deal here. The only measure is if he gets more money from his new team than he was schedule to make here.

People bending over backwards to excuse monti’s overplaying his hand and not making a deal in March be cray.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
He had a 2 year deal that was really a one-year deal here. The only measure is if he gets more money from his new team than he was schedule to make here.

People bending over backwards to excuse monti’s overplaying his hand and not making a deal in March be cray.
He's thinking he will get more guaranteed long-term money....I think he will be mistaken. Simple as that. Cards weren't going to extend him and give more guaranteed money. Please stop trying to define my point of view.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He's thinking he will get more guaranteed long-term money....I think he will be mistaken. Simple as that. Cards weren't going to extend him and give more guaranteed money. Please stop trying to define my point of view.
Based on what?

That might’ve been true in March, but not in June. Hop knows the score; he’s extremely savvy.

I’m interested to see what he gets now. Does he chase a ring and try to get long-term security in 2024 or try to elevate a team swimming around the fringes and elevate them to playoff contention?

Panthers, Lions, and Colts all could be buyers.

Cards are currently 13th in available 2024 cap space. LOL getting right with the cap to compete for free agents next year.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
So far, no team rushed to sign him when immediately available....

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
What part of "Dhop would not take a salary cut' don't you understand?

The Cards shopped him, and he was given permission to seek a trade, and none would take on his $19.5m stipend in 2023.

The Cards had three options:

1. Keep him in 2023, and punt the final decision to 2024.
2. Cut him and take a $22m 'dead money hit' to get him off the books and add $8m to this season's Cap
3. Pay a portion of his $19.5m salary in 2023 in return for perhaps a mid to late-round pick*

* This approach would likely mean the Cards paying the equivalent of $30m+ Cap hit in 2023.

You're MONTI for a day... what would you have done?
You haven't covered all of the options and have posted a very disingenuous set of options. You have no idea if those were the only 3 options. None whatsoever. What bout the "we passed on trading him straight up for a late-round pick" option? Or another option where we pay a portion of his salary but don't, laughably, take a 30+ million hit to do it?

I know you want to make it a false equivalency where there was literally nothing Monti could have done differently, and woe is Monti, the poor GM is getting picked on by us meanie fans, but, man, that crap's going to fall on deaf ears. We're cutting one of the better WRs in the league for nothing. Monti is rightfully getting roasted for that.

I wanted him gone sooner rather than later because after the tank year and by the time we inch into contention, he won't be "the guy" any longer. As we're being set up to compete in 2025 at the earliest, he's not going to be part of those teams. To get nothing for him, though, when he's still good? Bad management.

Stout

Reaction score
Ok but just realize your spending money this year that you can use next year. That 9 mil can sign a couple of nice players next year, or you have a 3rd round pick.
Posters have literally suggested we'd be able to have a 100 million cap spending spree in FA next offseason. Aside from that being a very bad idea, it means we're going to still have plenty of cap space next offseason. We're already incredible cash misers as the Cards; we don't have to be incredible cap misers too. We're not keeping our powder dry here.

Also, 9 mill is in no way, shape, or form signing a couple of nice players in any year now. That's scrub to backup money nowadays.

Stout

Reaction score
uh no. The McDonough situation came out MONTHS later.

I just presented you with a 100% plausible reason for the situation.
You're right in that this franchise is so inept that they can't see those things coming. If the Cards were so idiotic they didn't know McDonough was liable to come after them, I got nothing for you.

You just presented me with a 100 percent plausible reason Monti made a huge mistake, yes. You're not gaslighting the team out of this one, Krang.

Stout

Reaction score
Uh, no, it won't. There's a huge difference between taking on salary in a trade versus what someone will pay a street FA. The situations are in no way comparable.

Stout

Reaction score
Posters are not allowed to ponder questions now? It wasn't inventing anything.
The question was in direct reply as to why we didn't keep Allen and Murphy. The question was literally saying maybe they were dogging it last year and that's why we didn't keep them. A very, very organization-defending "pondering." What else could he have been positing there? And the poster has upheld that by not clarifying. He doesn't want to clarify because that's exactly what his "pondering question" was alluding to. He just doesn't want to admit it lol

Sorry, I'm not for any defending the organization narrative at this point.

Mark22

VBhoopcoach
Reaction score
The question was in direct reply as to why we didn't keep Allen and Murphy. The question was literally saying maybe they were dogging it last year and that's why we didn't keep them. A very, very organization-defending "pondering." What else could he have been positing there? And the poster has upheld that by not clarifying. He doesn't want to clarify because that's exactly what his "pondering question" was alluding to. He just doesn't want to admit it lol

Sorry, I'm not for any defending the organization narrative at this point.
Here’s some more pondering. In an interview with AZ Sports posted today Allen stated his biggest reason for leaving was to play for Vance Joseph. Hmm

Stout

Reaction score
Here’s some more pondering. In an interview with AZ Sports posted today Allen stated his biggest reason for leaving was to play for Vance Joseph. Hmm
Cool. If that is indeed the case, it softens the blow somewhat. I'll play devil's advocate like a lot of the light siders, however, and say we can't really know :)

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Cool. If that is indeed the case, it softens the blow somewhat. I'll play devil's advocate like a lot of the light siders, however, and say we can't really know :)
Well, there's a difference...some, like me, ask questions which is just basically reading between the lines and pontificating out loud...there may or may not be the full story and truth. Allen actually used his words, so there shouldn't be a question of "we really can't know"...lol

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You haven't covered all of the options and have posted a very disingenuous set of options. You have no idea if those were the only 3 options. None whatsoever. What bout the "we passed on trading him straight up for a late-round pick" option? Or another option where we pay a portion of his salary but don't, laughably, take a 30+ million hit to do it?

I know you want to make it a false equivalency where there was literally nothing Monti could have done differently, and woe is Monti, the poor GM is getting picked on by us meanie fans, but, man, that crap's going to fall on deaf ears. We're cutting one of the better WRs in the league for nothing. Monti is rightfully getting roasted for that.

I wanted him gone sooner rather than later because after the tank year and by the time we inch into contention, he won't be "the guy" any longer. As we're being set up to compete in 2025 at the earliest, he's not going to be part of those teams. To get nothing for him, though, when he's still good? Bad management.

Of course, one can dream up a few other options, as you have. All one has to do is ignore DHop insisting he won't take a pay cut and that the Cards refused, quite rightly, to subsidize his departure further. You and others can scream and stomp your feet, but the fact remains that no team was prepared to take on $19.5m in 2023 and the $14m+ in 2024, let alone offer draft compensation. Math is hard, I get it, and it's much easier to sound off ad nauseam ignoring the basic facts of the matter.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Uh, no, it won't. There's a huge difference between taking on salary in a trade versus what someone will pay a street FA. The situations are in no way comparable.
Guess I should have been clearer. When Hopkins signs on with a new team, we will know what the team is willing to pay for his services. In a trade they would have had to assume his salary at the current level he was at under the Cardinal contract. The difference will give us an idea of how big a barrier his Cardinal contract was to trading him. Many here are not happy we got nothing for him. Once he signs, the numbers will indicate just how much his contract numbers with the Cardinals prevented any type of trade. I suspect Hopkins is going to find out that what he may see as his value is not going to agree with what he gets in offers from interested teams. I suspect they will be substantially lower than what Hopkins thinks his worth is.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting a late round draft pick instead of nothing for Hop would have added to the bad decision making?
Why do you assume a late round draft pick was available?

Sounds like the Cardinals tried to trade him.

But Hopkins wouldn't restructure, and other teams that he would go to couldn't make the unrestructured contract work.

Hopkins tied the Cardinals hands. Best to move on from another Keim-time disaster.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Duh!

There is simply no getting around the fact that in addition to any salary the Cards would have taken on in trade, one must add the accelerated $22m 'dead' money hit. If it were 50% of DHops' 2023 salary, the total cost of trading him would be greater than his $30m Cap hit in 2023. But let's say that team 'x' will settle for a third of his $19.5m salary in 2023.

You who complain no end about competency would countenance paying between 6+ and 9+ million for a day two or three pick.

Brilliant!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson