The Suns' search for a New Coach Thread

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
TNT crew having a really good discussion about coaching

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Vogel got fired because the timing of the Westbrook debacle but he won a title in the bubble. In 2013 the Pacers were one win from the Finals vs the 66-16 Miami Heat with peak Lebron. He can coach.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not excited about what is left but I would take Vogel over Young.
I understand people not being excited by young, but for all we know he was making a ton of suggestions that Monty was vetoing.

I really don’t think it’s fair to judge him Based on his time here as an assistant. Also if Book wants him he probably impressed him somehow. I don’t think book wants a pushover coach, that’s not his personality.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Vogel got fired because the timing of the Westbrook debacle but he won a title in the bubble. In 2013 the Pacers were one win from the Finals vs the 66-16 Miami Heat with peak Lebron. He can coach.

I agree he was the fall guy for GM Lebron screwing that roster over

I’d be happy with him

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Just ran across this and thought it was interesting that Gambo said a couple of days ago that he didn’t expect a Suns hire by Memorial Day.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand people not being excited by young, but for all we know he was making a ton of suggestions that Monty was vetoing.

I really don’t think it’s fair to judge him Based on his time here as an assistant. Also if Book wants him he probably impressed him somehow. I don’t think book wants a pushover coach, that’s not his personality.
I am not saying this is not true but you take the chance he was part of the problem. If he was, you just saddled this team with more of the same problem for the next several years and likely during this window. This team needs fresh blood.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The Phoenix Suns have narrowed their head-coaching search to Doc Rivers, Frank Vogel and Kevin Young as they prepare to fill the vacancy left by the firing of Monty Williams, according to Arizona Sports’ John Gambadoro.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The only "knock" I have on Kevin Young, is when Willie Green left, you could see the drop off of the Suns. Hypothetically, Kevin Young should have raised the bar for us, and we wouldn't have noticed a drop off.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only "knock" I have on Kevin Young, is when Willie Green left, you could see the drop off of the Suns. Hypothetically, Kevin Young should have raised the bar for us, and we wouldn't have noticed a drop off.

Yeah that’s a good point

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Nobody wants Kevin Young, I don't think he's even interviewed anywhere else. We can't go from Monty Williams to Kevin Young

And don't you dare bring Doc Rivers to this franchise

So I guess I'm leaning Vogel

We're going to have offense, Book and KD should make sure of that. Granted, we can definitely use some more offensive pieces, particularly on the bench, but Vogel would bring defense and defense is what wins championships

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not saying this is not true but you take the chance he was part of the problem. If he was, you just saddled this team with more of the same problem for the next several years and likely during this window. This team needs fresh blood.
We have no idea if he can be effective as a Head Coach so I could see passing on him but I wouldn't be at all concerned that he was "part of the problem".

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
“Phoenix has there coach there going with Kevin Young”- Bill Simmons right now

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we only knew what caused the Suns collapse against the Mavericks in the playoffs.

The Suns did well to win two games against the Nuggets in the playoffs, especially with Paul and Ayton going down.

They didn't even have five solid starters much less a reliable bench.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we only knew what caused the Suns collapse against the Mavericks in the playoffs.

The Suns did well to win two games against the Nuggets in the playoffs, especially with Paul and Ayton going down.

They didn't even have five solid starters much less a reliable bench.

Don’t forget losing 4 in a row to the Bucks

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have no idea if he can be effective as a Head Coach so I could see passing on him but I wouldn't be at all concerned that he was "part of the problem".
I see it this way. There is a 50/50 shot he was part of the problem IMO. Someone outside? No chance. It's that simple for me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t forget losing 4 in a row to the Bucks

I think the Bucks were the better team so it's easier to swallow. The referees let Giannis do anything he wanted.

They were so much bigger and all the Suns had was Ayton in the middle.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Bucks were the better team so it's easier to swallow. The referees let Giannis do anything he wanted.

They were so much bigger, and all the Suns had was Ayton in the middle.

Giannis wasn’t why they won it was Middleton and Holiday who came alive and we couldn’t stop.

Once they changed in game 3 we made no adjustments at all. Holiday picking up Paul full court was the end of Paul in that series.

I don’t think they were better at all. We had the best record in the NBA

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Giannis wasn’t why they won it was Middleton and Holiday who came alive and we couldn’t stop.

Once they changed in game 3 we made no adjustments at all. Holiday picking up Paul full court was the end of Paul in that series.

I don’t think they were better at all. We had the best record in the NBA

The Bucks had more size and depth upfront. Their ability to score inside opened up their entire perimeter game.

Obviously, Middleton and Holiday were huge as well.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

They were so much bigger and all the Suns had was Ayton in the middle.
Losing 4 in a row after being 2 wins away from a title is never easy to swallow. Couple that with guys who just didn't show up after the first two games is even worse. Bridges and Booker in Game 3. Bridges, Ayton and Paul in Game 4. The defensive collapse in Game 5. Disappearance of Bridges, Ayton and Booker in Game 6.

It wasn't as simple as the Bucks being better. We had guys doing Houdini throughout that series after the first 2 games that goes way beyond how the Bucks were playing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Losing 4 in a row after being 2 wins away from a title is never easy to swallow. Couple that with guys who just didn't show up after the first two games is even worse. Bridges and Booker in Game 3. Bridges, Ayton and Paul in Game 4. The defensive collapse in Game 5. Disappearance of Bridges, Ayton and Booker in Game 6.

It wasn't as simple as the Bucks being better. We had guys doing Houdini throughout that series after the first 2 games that goes way beyond how the Bucks were playing.

It's never that simple. The Suns lack of depth in the middle didn't help.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson