I’m Not the Only One Who Thinks They’re Tanking

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Jeff Kerr at CBS wrote, “If the Cardinals get that No. 1 pick, Murray likely had a bad year and Arizona would look to move on by resetting the franchise and draft Williams (while getting another franchise cornerstone in the process with the Houston pick).

Arizona probably doesn't want Murray to succeed at this rate. Releasing Hopkins doesn't give Murray the pass-catchers he needs to help the franchise win games. No Hopkins in the fold equals a less productive Murray. Not good for his prospects in 2023.”

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I said we were tanking back in when free agency first started and people didn't like it - now it seems to be popular opinion

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Sorry, but I still refuse to call what is going on and their plans for the future as tanking. That very well might be a first year result of their long term goals, but it is not the same in my mind.

They are cleaning house, including relation to the CAP, they are continuing the process of creating the team, culture, and direction they want and see for their team, and maybe most relevant, they are going to take full advantage of the unique opportunity that they find themselves in.

I will change my tune and join you in calling it tanking when I hear that they told any players prior to a game to make sure we lose this one. Or hear they are betting on our opponents.

After all, they didn't sneak in in the middle of the night and take a hammer to Kyler's leg, or tell a couple of our better players to say they don't want to play here any longer.

Maybe it is just semantics, but as of right now, that is just the way I choose to see it.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sorry, but I still refuse to call what is going on and their plans for the future as tanking. That very well might be a first year result of their long term goals, but it is not the same in my mind.

They are cleaning house, including relation to the CAP, they are continuing the process of creating the team, culture, and direction they want and see for their team, and maybe most relevant, they are going to take full advantage of the unique opportunity that they find themselves in.

I will change my tune and join you in calling it tanking when I hear that they told any players prior to a game to make sure we lose this one. Or hear they are betting on our opponents.

After all, they didn't sneak in in the middle of the night and take a hammer to Kyler's leg, or tell a couple of our better players to say they don't want to play here any longer.

Maybe it is just semantics, but as of right now, that is just the way I choose to see it.
well stated, I can’t be more excited about the upcoming season and totally jacked about post season activities.

This team has my attention!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Tanking is just another name for not fielding a competitive team to benefit from NFL rules, especially regarding draft position.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I agree with you SBF. MO has to clean up the salary & depth mess Keim created so they signed one year prove it players they are familiar with from prior organizations for depth. No team wants to take on the salary of Hopkins with a trade considering his age & practice habits, so they decided to take the cap hit this year & get it over with. JG & MO want players that actually wanna be here with high character & I actually love that. This is a process & will take time, I'm not believing they're tanking at all.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
The dark-siders have been beating this dead horse way too much, keep it up, they may just force the NFL into believing we are tanking and costing us some draft picks, be careful what you wish for!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Funny that people are still blaming Keim for this complete crap show they’re going to put on the field next year.

For better or worse, Keim always seemed to try and field a team that could compete and win.

This FO is the ultimate Sherman tank of tanking.

That’s not a bad thing but let’s call it what it is.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I agree with you SBF. MO has to clean up the salary & depth mess Keim created so they signed one year prove it players they are familiar with from prior organizations for depth. No team wants to take on the salary of Hopkins with a trade considering his age & practice habits, so they decided to take the cap hit this year & get it over with. JG & MO want players that actually wanna be here with high character & I actually love that. This is a process & will take time, I'm not believing they're tanking at all.
Poverty franchise mindset.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This organization needs to be completely torn down and rebuilt. It’s really out of necessity so I don’t know if calling it tanking is the right word.

Bad contracts, bad drafts, bad free agents have lead us to this point. Keim continually tried to patchwork the team year after year.

If done correctly we will be better off in the long run. If it’s done incorrectly Gannon will be gone in 3 years and we won’t have a winning season for tge next 5-6 years.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Funny that people are still blaming Keim for this complete crap show they’re going to put on the field next year.

For better or worse, Keim always seemed to try and field a team that could compete and win.

This FO is the ultimate Sherman tank of tanking.

That’s not a bad thing but let’s call it what it is.
Really you liked Keim giving away draft picks for useless players pretending the team was a contender?

going youth movement with the new coaching staff is just the smart thing to do.

if you want a team with a multi year window it’s the only way to do it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The dark-siders have been beating this dead horse way too much, keep it up, they may just force the NFL into believing we are tanking and costing us some draft picks, be careful what you wish for!
I get you can't bring yourself to hate the franchise so you have to hate someone, but you do realize that the darksiders are happy that we're taking this year, right? We were never going to be good this year so tanking made sense. It's the idea that we're not doing much to get better for next year that upsets most of us.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Really you liked Keim giving away draft picks for useless players pretending the team was a contender?

going youth movement with the new coaching staff is just the smart thing to do.

if you want a team with a multi year window it’s the only way to do it.
Correction: Very limited youth movement. This FO apparently believes young players can only be found in the draft, for some odd reason.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I should have made it clear that not only does this article indicate tanking, it also strengthens the argument the Cards are setting up Murray to fail.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I get you can't bring yourself to hate the franchise so you have to hate someone, but you do realize that the darksiders are happy that we're taking this year, right? We were never going to be good this year so tanking made sense. It's the idea that we're not doing much to get better for next year that upsets most of us.
I'm not hating on anybody I'm pointing out the obvious, I think this horse has been beat dead enough, time to move on, I'm tired of the tanking talk.