Cardinals announce they have released Hopkins - Signed with Titans

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Certainly true, but do you see a contender potentially causing a good deal of cap issues for a 31 year old receiver? Shades of Julio Jones here.
Lol comparing hop to washed Julio. This post has to be the precursor to the “the cardinals were right to do this! Best move since sliced bread” prediction I made.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Cardinals are a worse team without him, but at the end of the day, they need to go cheap right now and try out guys like Wilson.

This year will suck, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Keim screwed up the roster by using so many high picks on non-premium positions, then making unwise signings and trades to fill in the gaps.
What’s the “light?” Cap space? Flexibility? Them coach mac type “wins.”

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And yet, based on all reports, the Cardinals couldn't find ONE team that would trade for Hopkins because of his cap number.

The draft day trades clearly demonstrate that Monti isn't afraid to wheel and deal. My guess is that teams would have taken Hopkins for a pittance of a draft pick, but also wanted the Cardinals to eat more of the money than they wanted to. No thanks.

And I gather the Cardinals decided to move on from him recently based on interactions with him over the past few weeks.
So in other words the cardinals were . . . cheap. A team that wants to rebuild with picks eats part of the contract to get the picks. A cheap owner that’s running a club poorly lets a desired asset walk for nada.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Preachy!

Zach Allen signed a 3 year, $45,750,000 contract with the Denver Broncos, including a $15,000,000 signing bonus, $32,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $15,250,000. In 2023, Allen will earn a base salary of $2,250,000 and a signing bonus of $15,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $6,000,000 and a dead cap value of $32,500,000.

Who on this board thought he was worth that?

Additionally, he rejoins the D-coordinator that gave him his chance.

Byron Murphy signed a 2 year, $17,500,000 contract with the Minnesota Vikings, including a $7,000,000 signing bonus, $12,600,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $8,750,000. In 2023, Murphy will earn a base salary of $1,100,000, a signing bonus of $7,000,000 and a workout bonus of $50,000, while carrying a cap hit of $2,814,699 and a dead cap value of $8,100,000.

Minny has an out after one year. Clearly, they weren't willing to make a long-term commitment, perhaps concerned about his health.
I love when, in the same post, someone makes the argument “look how much he’s paid, it’s obvious an overlay” and “look how little they are paying with an out, obviously he wasn’t worth much.”

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Lol comparing hop to washed Julio. This post has to be the precursor to the “the cardinals were right to do this! Best move since sliced bread” prediction I made.
Comparing the situations. Receivers get old real fast.

The proof is in the pudding. No one traded for Hop.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
So in other words the cardinals were . . . cheap.
Maybe. Or maybe they continued to try and get value for him.
A team that wants to rebuild with picks eats part of the contract to get the picks.
That's a stretch. Assuming they could get anything for him.
A cheap owner that’s running a club poorly lets a desired asset walk for nada.
Possibly, who knows. You speak so definitively about something you have no insight on.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Maybe. Or maybe they continued to try and get value for him.

That's a stretch. Assuming they could get anything for him.

Possibly, who knows. You speak so definitively about something you have no insight on.
What do you wanna bet (a) hop has something left in the tank; (b) teams know this; and (c) you have less insight into this than I do considering I know hop is a wanted commodity and you’re comparing him to washed Julio, lol.

I knew someone would defend the cardinals, just thought there would be more than just you out on the cracking thin limb all by your lonesome, krang.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
What do you wanna bet (a) hop has something left in the tank; (b) teams know this; and (c) you have less insight into this than I do considering I know hop is a wanted commodity and you’re comparing him to washed Julio, lol.
I'm comparing his situation when he was leaving the Falcons. Lots of injuries and getting older. I know understanding my comment takes a little bit more than looking at it on face value.
I knew someone would defend the cardinals, just thought there would be more than just you out on the cracking thin limb all by your lonesome, krang.
LOL I'm not defending the Cardinals, this is just one of those situations that happens in sports.

Monti overplayed his hand an missed out on a conditional fifth round pick. Definitely a franchise killing gaffe, for sure.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
C'mon. Questions player's will to go to war for a lost season isn't "defending the org". Its speculating on the possibility of what may have happened.
...in the middle of a discussion of why we didn't retain specific FAs. Is it looking for a way to place blame externally rather than point to the organization? Pretty easy to read it that way. It sure isn't a statement holding the organization accountable. But the poster has a chance to clarify now, so we'll see what the thrust of the post was.

Stout

Reaction score
I'm comparing his situation when he was leaving the Falcons. Lots of injuries and getting older. I know understanding my comment takes a little bit more than looking at it on face value.

LOL I'm not defending the Cardinals, this is just one of those situations that happens in sports.

Monti overplayed his hand an missed out on a conditional fifth round pick. Definitely a franchise killing gaffe, for sure.
I'm glad you're sanguine about our rookie GM hurting our team with his inexperience and ineptitude. Are you chalking up the tampering idiocy as another sarcastic write-off?

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
...in the middle of a discussion of why we didn't retain specific FAs. Is it looking for a way to place blame externally rather than point to the organization? Pretty easy to read it that way. It sure isn't a statement holding the organization accountable. But the poster has a chance to clarify now, so we'll see what the thrust of the post was.
Hmm. That might just then be the difference in our natures, and proclivities about our thoughts on this team when reading someones post.

I read it as; there are myriad possible reasons for the team not resigning Murphy and Allen, and one of them MAY be the belief that Allen was healthy scratching himself late in the season, and when considering this POSSIBILITY in light of the opinions now spreading that the org wasnt happy with DHop doing that in the final two weeks, PERHAPS that factored into their decision to not re sign those players (I believe this was about Allen specifically, not Murphy).

What I didnt read was any justification of, or defense of the org in making that leap. Just a thought on what might have been.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'm glad you're sanguine about our rookie GM hurting our team with his inexperience and ineptitude. Are you chalking up the tampering idiocy as another sarcastic write-off?
Let's use a smidge of logic here:

1. We hear that tampering happens all of the time.

2. The Cardinals supposedly self reported.

Why would they do that? What looming over the franchise would force them to self report when teams tamper all of the time?

The McDonough situation is probably the reason they self reported. Lawyers are going to be looking through all kinds of written and electronic communications potentially.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
This was so inept of a move. Got nothing. This team is all for themselves. Forget the fans..shoot they're not on the hook anymore come on celebrate. The Cards are.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So in other words the cardinals were . . . cheap. A team that wants to rebuild with picks eats part of the contract to get the picks. A cheap owner that’s running a club poorly lets a desired asset walk for nada.

So... a $22m 'dead money hit' plus, let's say, for the sake of argument, a third of DHop's 2023 salary in return for perhaps a mid to late-round pick.

In effect, pay an additional $6m+ for that lotto ticket.

There's cheap, and there's financial idiocy.

This plan falls under the latter, IMO.

Stout

Reaction score
Let's use a smidge of logic here:

1. We hear that tampering happens all of the time.

2. The Cardinals supposedly self reported.

Why would they do that? What looming over the franchise would force them to self report when teams tamper all of the time?

The McDonough situation is probably the reason they self reported. Lawyers are going to be looking through all kinds of written and electronic communications potentially.
So, doubly inept, tampering when you knew the team would be under scrutiny. Check.

Mark22

VBhoopcoach
Reaction score
Absolutely. Which is an indictment of the club. They didn’t want to re-sign with the club. Who else are you blaming for the club being unable to convince them to stay?
I don’t disagree that it’s an indictment against the club. Whatever their reason was, (and we don’t know) it was enough to go elsewhere. I liked them both but in my opinion, they were both average at best, and injury prone. Certainly not so great as to be losing our **** over them leaving.

Stout

Reaction score
I don’t disagree that it’s an indictment against the club. Whatever their reason was, (and we don’t know) it was enough to go elsewhere. I liked them both but in my opinion, they were both average at best, and injury prone. Certainly not so great as to be losing our **** over them leaving.
If you didn't care for the players, I won't indict you for having a different opinion. It happens a lot, dissing players after they leave a team, but opinions will vary. For me, it's just one half of a disastrous FA period, the failure to hold onto our own talent. Add in the tampering snafu, and add in choking on the Nuk situation, and our new FO is off to a shaky start.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So... a $22m 'dead money hit' plus, let's say, for the sake of argument, a third of DHop's 2023 salary in return for perhaps a mid to late-round pick.

In effect, pay an additional $6m+ for that lotto ticket.

There's cheap, and there's financial idiocy.

This plan falls under the latter, IMO.
Good organizations figure it out. The cardinals don’t. At the end of the day we will see hops value when a good organization signs him and he produces. Ours couldn’t figure out a way to gain value from that. Keep defending an organization that has proven time and time again to make bad decisions.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave