The Suns' search for a New Coach Thread

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
JJ is no fool. Neither is Matt Ishbia. I imagine Ishbia asked JJ about any moves the Suns did in the past and how it went down to JJ. Then, I imagine he's asked others the same things. Just to get a gauge on his GM. JJ knows or should know Matt will be asking around, so he better play it straight.

I've dealt with folks from back east, and if it's one thing they hate, it's lying to them. If you ran over their cat, you better fess up. If not, you take that **** to the grave! JJ would have been gone by now if Matt didn't like his answers.
I don't think not taking to lying is only a back East thing but I agree with the rest.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Good article on Kevin Young. It appears to be free (at least it was for me) even though it is an Athletic‘s article.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't think not taking to lying is only a back East thing but I agree with the rest.
I didn't mean other places are not like that, but I worked with people from New Jersey, and you could literally tell them the worst **** and they were OK with it. But if they found out you didn't tell them, holy smokes, it's curb stomp time! I saw two of them literally almost come to blows, and then 30 minutes later, they both went to lunch together. When we asked them about it, they said it's a back east thing, they really weren't mad at each other. We ALL thought they were ending a friendship at a minimum during their exchange. The rest of the time we worked with them, they were like best buddies.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Well Durant will get injured again, so Nurse seems like a good choice.
We have to look at this team more like an NFL team, it's not a matter IF our guys will get injured, it's a matter of when it happens. Even Dbook would have been in line to win awards this season except missing so many games earlier in the season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's reported Nick Nurse droppred out of the interview process. It could mean something.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think PHX hires Kevin Young. Nurse from what I hear is great at in game adjustments which has been Monty's Achilles Heel during his tenure here but TOR was huge disappointment last year with the roster they had. Doc is basically Monty, Vogel isn't anything special. I would rather have Young than Jordi Fernandez.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nick Nurse interviewed with the Suns on Thursday.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
At some point, it becomes trolling especially when it has no relevance to the conversation. But I'm not smart enough to know where that line is drawn.
You can call the manager all you want - even though I never did - because I'm not built like that - or perhaps you can just lighten up and get over it

If my jokes bother you so much feel free to put me on ignore

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a beautiful weekend and the Suns may soon hire a new head coach. Let's enjoy it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bucks head coaching prospects met with Giannis. I'd think Booker and Durant would have input as well for the Suns.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the odds of Nick Nurse HC and Kevin Young as lead assistant? Less than 5%?

Non-existent. It'll be one or the other. There are other tacticians out there. I wouldn't want the team to hire Young with an assistant like Nurse anyways since the narrative will always be "When does Nurse take over?" and that's not right to do to Young.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A tactician I wouldn't mind tutoring Young is Jay Triano. Some may remember him as the guy who took over when Earl Watson was canned 3 games into the season. He also had that team running some good sets, including a variation of the Valley Oop, perhaps inspiration, where Bender threw a lob to Tyson Chandler from out of play to win a game. He was a solid X's and O's guy who didn't ever want the head coach job. He's an assistant in Sacramento now, having joined their staff last season. Prior to that he was in Charlotte as a lead assistant from basically when we let him go and he joined Sacramento. He has international experience as well having coached the Canadian national team. Big fan of Triano as an assistant.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
A tactician I wouldn't mind tutoring Young is Jay Triano. Some may remember him as the guy who took over when Earl Watson was canned 3 games into the season. He also had that team running some good sets, including a variation of the Valley Oop, perhaps inspiration, where Bender threw a lob to Tyson Chandler from out of play to win a game. He was a solid X's and O's guy who didn't ever want the head coach job. He's an assistant in Sacramento now, having joined their staff last season. Prior to that he was in Charlotte as a lead assistant from basically when we let him go and he joined Sacramento. He has international experience as well having coached the Canadian national team. Big fan of Triano as an assistant.
I have a hard time imagining they will bring back a guy from that era, though. I can't imagine he would want to come back either, even though it's a different regime here now.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time imagining they will bring back a guy from that era, though. I can't imagine he would want to come back either, even though it's a different regime here now.

You never know. I don't think it'd be an issue on his side as he wanted to stick around as an assistant but coaches rarely, if ever, get demoted. He was the interim here and had no interest in a full time head coach position and spoke about how he'd like to return as an assistant after the interim label was removed and a coach was found. Very odd situation but he was open throughout the season about not wanting to be full time but also spoke of how much he enjoyed developing guys like Booker, Warren, Jackson, etc.

I was also mentioning Triano as a more likely assistant than Nurse under Young as that has little chance of happening. Triano is a good example of the sort of tacticians out there now. I'd be all for it but we shouldn't get hung up on who is hired as an assistant.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can call the manager all you want - even though I never did - because I'm not built like that - or perhaps you can just lighten up and get over it

If my jokes bother you so much feel free to put me on ignore
I don't need to call the manager (and I never do). You'll continue doing it and someone will spot it and take action. Since I agree with you far more often than not, I'd just as soon see you put an end to it. But that's your choice.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose