Budda requests trade

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Wish Budda the best and he is doing what he feels he has to do for money, but I am not going to root for him over this because his current income is far from a slap in his face and I am a Cardinal fan no matter how 'out of touch' being a fan is in the 'me me me' age

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Why? I like him as a player, but I thought he was being paid fairly. You think he should be paid more?
A couple reasons.

1 - Budda is a prime salary cut next year.

2 - Budda's production is likely to be impacted by the terrible supporting cast put around him.

3 - Budda is a competitor, and he is being asked to be the face of a tanking team.

Some may be like, these things happen. However, if Budda is but next year, and his play/impact is being hurt by his supporting cast, he is likely not going to be able to get a appropriate contract from his next team. Because of this, I have no issues with him wanting more guaranteed money if he is going to sacrifice a season in his prime to be the leader of a tank operation. Just like teams ask players to take pay cuts to be able to sign/retain players, I have no issue with Budda asking for more because they aren't. It is not about "paying more", it is about commitment to the player. Very similar to Barry Sanders

And for context, I also have no issue if the Cardinals cut Budda next year due to his age, position, and salary. Both sides have valid and sound reasons behind their decisions.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I see Austin Ekeler, who is justifiably underpaid versus his production, and they came up with offering approximately $2 million in incentives for him to reach if he plays well this season. Maybe they could do that with Budda? It protects the team from injury, but will pay Budda if he really brings it.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I see Austin Ekeler, who is justifiably underpaid versus his production, and they came up with offering approximately $2 million in incentives for him to reach if he plays well this season. Maybe they could do that with Budda? It protects the team from injury, but will pay Budda if he really brings it.
I fully expect both Budda and Hop to have reworked contracts in this regard...Not extending, but converting portions of of their salary to guaranteed payments and incentives. So they get a big check up front and the Cards aren't necessarily kicking the can of the Cap down the road.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Sometimes this is just how things work. The Chargers are smart for not wanting to invest large dollars into a RB, and Ekeler is justified in wanting some type of guaranteed money long-term. Both can be true.

Where you miss, IMO, is that it is about the 2023 salary. It isn't. It is about long-term financial security and commitment.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I fully expect both Budda and Hop to have reworked contracts in this regard...Not extending, but converting portions of of their salary to guaranteed payments and incentives. So they get a big check up front and the Cards aren't necessarily kicking the can of the Cap down the road.
Neither player is under contract past 2024 so the only thing that converting those contracts does is make it more cost prohibitive to move on from each player next year. The separation and conflict you are trying to avoid is inevitable. Both players want contracts with guaranteed money past 2024.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I'd take Ek..Budda is asking to be paid to be a leader. I can picture a couple reworked deals. But for real..this team needs to get their attitude right.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah I miss the good ole days when we kept those uppity athletes dirt poor.
Jesus man try to grasp some context. We are talking about a time when most of the franchises weren’t even sure they would be around from year to year and the league wasn’t certain to survive. This wasn’t a period of fat owners. This was a period where other than the maras, the owners were taking losses each year just to field teams.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Budda base salary is over 13 million this year. If we’re going to release Dhop why wouldn’t we release an over paid safety that wants more money. He’s a good player but nowhere near the level of Dhop.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Budda base salary is over 13 million this year. If we’re going to release Dhop why wouldn’t we release an over paid safety that wants more money. He’s a good player but nowhere near the level of Dhop.
JMO, but I think we should hold on to him, because we don't have a decent replacement on the roster, and don't want to use a high draft pick (2024) for a safety, when we have so many other needs. Not saying to increase his salary, but tweak/guarantees his contract. With him on board, we'd have a good safety tandem, as we start to rebuild.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose