The Suns' search for a New Coach Thread

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just hope they don't make the mistake Boston appears to have made, a young coach that is over his head. He may be great in 20 years, and Spolstra for example is way better than he was initially. But with our aging roster, we need someone highly experienced that is ready to take names and start outcoaching other teams right now.

Unfortunately, there are not many in this category that are available. Nick Nurse is interesting but there is a reason he is no longer with the Raptors.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are not many in this category that are available. Nick Nurse is interesting but there is a reason he is no longer with the Raptors.
If you want an experienced coach, which we do, that is currently available, there is always going to be reasons they aren't with their former team. Heck, there were reasons Monty wasn't with HIS former teams when we hired him. Didn't stop us from hiring him.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I heard Monty Williams is available.

:biglaugh:

There used to be a bunch that would float around to different teams, Hubie Brown, Doug Collins, Larry Brown, Kevin Loughery...

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't care or know enough to pick a coach.
Why would a Coach that's been a college coach at the same place for 30ish years take a job where he could be fired next month on a whim?
I know there's a relationship but please.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There used to be a bunch that would float around to different teams, Hubie Brown, Doug Collins, Larry Brown, Kevin Loughery...

Why would a Coach that's been a college coach at the same place for 30ish years take a job where he could be fired next month on a whim?
I know there's a relationship but please.

I'd prefer an upcoming NBA assistant coach to a college coach.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Why didn't we Tyron Lue our coach Monty and try and trade him to a team looking for a head coach? :shrug:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Because he gets paid even after he's been fired. NBA coaches have no reason to fear being fired, other than than slight bruise to their ego.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why didn't we Tyron Lue our coach Monty and try and trade him to a team looking for a head coach? :shrug:

Monty is not under contract like Lue. Besides, I don't think anyone was knocking down the door to hire him after the disappointing end to the last two seasons.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure pretty sure Monty was under contract as he got an extension didn’t he?

It would have been better said, the Suns already fired Monty. He can go wherever he wants, in other words, he is a free agent.

Tyronn Lue is still the Clippers head coach.

OP
OP
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe this is already posted elsewhere, sorry, but I would be really interested in seeing everyone's top 5 coaches on their wish list for the Suns.

I am not knowledgeable enough to name a solid 5. So I will just name one:

1. Tyron Lue (without tampering penalties).

Also wondering about Steve Nash, but I know things ended badly in Brooklyn, don't remember why or whose fault it was...

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Maybe this is already posted elsewhere, sorry, but I would be really interested in seeing everyone's top 5 coaches on their wish list for the Suns.

Also wondering about Steve Nash, but I know things ended badly in Brooklyn, don't remember why or whose fault it was...
If I remember correctly Durant was calling for him to be fired. Not a possibility I don't think.

Ty Lue is under contract and, apparently, the Clippers are not unhappy with him. Last I read they expected him back to coach the Clippers next year. The Suns would have to trade for him and, well, the cupboard is kinda bare.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nash is meeting with the Raptors about their open head coach position.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly Durant was calling for him to be fired. Not a possibility I don't think.

Ty Lue is under contract and, apparently, the Clippers are not unhappy with him. Last I read they expected him back to coach the Clippers next year. The Suns would have to trade for him and, well, the cupboard is kinda bare.

About all the Suns could offer is a first round pick swap. I doubt that gets anything done.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
About all the Suns could offer is a first round pick swap. I doubt that gets anything done.
And they don't havd a first round pick this year, correct? I think they only have one pick and it's in the second round. But, I could be wrong on that.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And they don't havd a first round pick this year, correct? I think they only have one pick and it's in the second round. But, I could be wrong on that.

The Suns do not own their first round pick this off season. Under the Stepien Rule a team cannot be without a first round pick in consecutive drafts.

However, I don't believe this prevents a swap for another first round pick in another draft.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Monty is not under contract like Lue. Besides, I don't think anyone was knocking down the door to hire him after the disappointing end to the last two seasons.
HE was under contract, but we just fired him. Maybe we could have let it be known he was available?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HE was under contract, but we just fired him. Maybe we could have let it be known he was available?

I don't know. What was the value of Nick Nurse, Mike Budenholzer and Doc Rivers?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The five coaching finalists

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wanted Darko. Not happy Doc is included. Frank Vogel is interesting and I'd actually take him over Nick Nurse. Young and Jordi are unknowns, to a point.

Jakester

Rookie
Reaction score
I'm good with Nurse or Vogel of that list with Nurse being my favorite. Doc feels like a lateral move from Monty and the other two would be gambles as first time coaches with a win now roster. It's been done before (Nurse leading the Raptors to a title in year one) but still risky.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'd favor Nick Nurse of those mentioned. Suns need to get some new blood.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I like Young, Nurse, maybe Doc. Been reading online articles about Jordi Fernandez, but they are mostly about where he's been and who he's met. Not much about his coaching style. Vogel I just remember looking run over by LeBron when he coached in LA.