2023 NBA Playoffs - Other Teams

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Again, I think the series rests on the Heat being able to slow down Jokic. He has become almost unstoppable.

I do think the Heat have the weapons to bother him.

Bam is a legit DPOY candidate and can guard Jokic 1 on 1. The Heat have the players to matchup well against Denver. I think the more appropriate question is how can the Nuggets contain Playoff Jimmy?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bam is a legit DPOY candidate and can guard Jokic 1 on 1. The Heat have the players to matchup well against Denver. I think the more appropriate question is how can the Nuggets contain Playoff Jimmy?

I don't think anyone can cover Jokic 1 on 1 but he might make Jokic work harder.

The bigger factor is the shooting. Denver's defense has leaks, we didn't have the shooting depth to take advantage, neither do the Lakers, but the Heat constantly have 3 or more guys out there who can drill open threes.

I think it would be a really fun series.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think anyone can cover Jokic 1 on 1 but he might make Jokic work harder.

The bigger factor is the shooting. Denver's defense has leaks, we didn't have the shooting depth to take advantage, neither do the Lakers, but the Heat constantly have 3 or more guys out there who can drill open threes.

I think it would be a really fun series.

He's not going to shut him down but when he's guarding him they won't need to double to make him work, which will keep their shooters covered. Kind of like what Ayton was supposed to do and had done in the past.

I also believe Bam will keep him guessing on D. Miami has the shooters that they won't be able to hide Jokic and if they can get Bam's offense going then they can tire Jokic out.

It'll be a great series. Rooting for Miami. Butler is just so fun to watch. The whole squad was built the right way. I also think it will cause a shift in the league if they do win as an 8th seed and we'll see less teams go for regular season success. We're likely to see some more of that already but it'll take a title for more than a few to copy their blueprint.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's not going to shut him down but when he's guarding him they won't need to double to make him work, which will keep their shooters covered. Kind of like what Ayton was supposed to do and had done in the past.

I also believe Bam will keep him guessing on D. Miami has the shooters that they won't be able to hide Jokic and if they can get Bam's offense going then they can tire Jokic out.

It'll be a great series. Rooting for Miami. Butler is just so fun to watch. The whole squad was built the right way. I also think it will cause a shift in the league if they do win as an 8th seed and we'll see less teams go for regular season success. We're likely to see some more of that already but it'll take a title for more than a few to copy their blueprint.
I'm more curious than confident how a Miami v Denver series will turn out should it happen. Denver is playing pretty much the way I'd expect. Miami has looked like a well oiled machine just hitting it's stride and Boston has looked like a confused collection of players that are meeting for the first time. I don't know how much of Miami's apparent greatness is due to how bad Boston is playing nor can I tell if Miami is the reason the Celtics look so out of it. But I'm looking forward to finding out.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm more curious than confident how a Miami v Denver series will turn out should it happen. Denver is playing pretty much the way I'd expect. Miami has looked like a well oiled machine just hitting it's stride and Boston has looked like a confused collection of players that are meeting for the first time. I don't know how much of Miami's apparent greatness is due to how bad Boston is playing nor can I tell if Miami is the reason the Celtics look so out of it. But I'm looking forward to finding out.

If you watched any of the Bucks vs Heat series then you'd see that Miami are disrupting the Celtics more than the Celtics are struggling. The Heat made the Bucks and Knicks look similar to how the Celtics look now. It's really impressive how well Miami is playing their game offensively and no one has been able to stop them all while playing a frantic defense that won't let opposing offenses get the looks they're accustomed to.

In today's NBA, most teams don't chip away at leads. They bomb 3's and try to catch up in a hurry. Miami isn't allowing teams to get good perimeter shots. Brunson was fairly effective against them because he can score anywhere but he didn't have any real help. That's why Miami struggled more against the Knicks than Celtics. The Celtics are a perimeter oriented team and they seem really in their own heads now and can't find a way to put up points effectively.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If you watched any of the Bucks vs Heat series then you'd see that Miami are disrupting the Celtics more than the Celtics are struggling. The Heat made the Bucks and Knicks look similar to how the Celtics look now. It's really impressive how well Miami is playing their game offensively and no one has been able to stop them all while playing a frantic defense that won't let opposing offenses get the looks they're accustomed to.

In today's NBA, most teams don't chip away at leads. They bomb 3's and try to catch up in a hurry. Miami isn't allowing teams to get good perimeter shots. Brunson was fairly effective against them because he can score anywhere but he didn't have any real help. That's why Miami struggled more against the Knicks than Celtics. The Celtics are a perimeter oriented team and they seem really in their own heads now and can't find a way to put up points effectively.
Yeah the Celtics identity seemed to just jack up threes, despite them struggling massively beyond the arc. Miami was running offense and getting wide open threes off drive and kick action.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah the Celtics identity seemed to just jack up threes, despite them struggling massively beyond the arc. Miami was running offense and getting wide open threes off drive and kick action.

They have no one who attacks the basket and/or midrange. Smart does, kind of, because he's not a great 3pt shooter but they really seem fine just jacking 3's and their coach hasn't made adjustments or ran any sets to get them going. They have size but don't use it effectively.

Miami has been insanely hot from 3 as well, which helps also. They shot 52% from 3 yesterday and a whopping 47.8% for this series. That's insanely efficient. I doubt they keep that up because they're shooting like 36% prior to this series, but this team doesn't take it's foot off the gas. Spo has them playing incredibly disciplined.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they have to try and play Jokic straight up. Adebayo can give him a lot of trouble. But can he stay out of foul trouble. Jokic plows into guys and draws calls.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If I was asked about 6 or so years ago, who I thought the most overrated coach in the NBA was, I would have answer "'Spo!" in a millisecond.

I thought he only got the Miami job so their big stars had someone they could easily walk all over.
I think a lot of people thought that. I didn’t for a hot second, but when I stepped back and thought about it I knew there was no way pat riley was going with a limp coach. Riley was remaining part of the organization and he was never one to shy away from taking a strong stance. When I thought about that I knew riley must’ve seen something in that guy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Some really good players are going to be available this summer for teams wanting to shake off disappointment.

Oh, to be a buyer with money and assets.
The primary target would’ve been Durant for all these teams had he been available. We would have had to bid the same amount of assets.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There are interesting matchups both directions. Putting Gordon on butler doesn’t stop him, but probably helps the nugz avoid getting bullied by jimmy. And bam/jokic and jimmy/murray should all be interesting.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I watched a Landale interview, and he said Jokic was hard to guard because of the weird angles he gets shots off at. He said you would be defending a hook or jumper, and he said you would see Jokic's arm swing at a weird angle and suddenly it was a pass to an open defender, or a shot going through the net. He thought Jokic keeps guys off balance because of the weird angles he can get his shot off at.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched a Landale interview, and he said Jokic was hard to guard because of the weird angles he gets shots off at. He said you would be defending a hook or jumper, and he said you would see Jokic's arm swing at a weird angle and suddenly it was a pass to an open defender, or a shot going through the net. He thought Jokic keeps guys off balance because of the weird angles he can get his shot off at.

I knew Jokic had improved his game, but I didn't give him enough credit until this season, perhaps because he doesn't look the part and he is less athletic than some players.

How can a guy that looks and built like Greg Ostertag be this good?

He has maximized every ounce of his talent and amazingly, he keeps getting better. Jokic has the whole package. He can even dribble the ball down the court to initiate the offense.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I knew Jokic had improved his game, but I didn't give him enough credit until this season, perhaps because he doesn't look the part and he is less athletic than some players.

He has maximized every ounce of his talent and amazingly, he keeps getting better. Jokic has the whole package. He can even dribble the ball down the court to initiate the offense.
There is a group of guys, Jokic and Doncic, that use their size as a way to get shots off. It's not just Euros. It used to be jumping was everything in the NBA. But over the years, guys like Moses Malone, Wes Unseld, and others used this. Barkley too. It makes you reassess what an NBA body is.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jokic is definitely in better shape. He can run with DA and AD, or even out pace them for entire games now. Remember he used to be flabby and we wondered how he's so good with little muscle tone. Now he's more trim and better by being more fit.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a group of guys, Jokic and Doncic, that use their size as a way to get shots off. It's not just Euros. It used to be jumping was everything in the NBA. But over the years, guys like Moses Malone, Wes Unseld, and others used this. Barkley too. It makes you reassess what an NBA body is.

Yeah, guys like Larry Bird and Kevin McHale may be just as good in today's NBA.

A lot of it is playing the game with your head and maximizing talent.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once stood next Barkley and was actually surprised he wasn't taller. He had only about 2" on me, maybe. But he sure was wide. Much wider than me and his legs looked like tree trunks. You can use that width to keep defenders off the shooting hand. In high school, I was forced to play center both years because we had no tall guys. So, I had to use my football bulk to rebound and get shots off.

It can be very effective as with the examples you gave show. i would throw Maurice Lucas in there. But, the NBA trend is away from that body type.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

He really is a marvel to behold. I wish the refs would call the game correctly - for all players. No superstar treatment for anyone. Because then I think you would get the true estimation of how good the top players are. Now and again when the top players get away with shuffles (Lebron), hooking (jokic), moving screens (Anthony Davis) it just makes me downgrade their accomplishments a bit and it’s not necessary to give them those calls, they’ll dominate without them.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
He really is a marvel to behold. I wish the refs would call the game correctly - for all players. No superstar treatment for anyone. Because then I think you would get the true estimation of how good the top players are. Now and again when the top players get away with shuffles (Lebron), hooking (jokic), moving screens (Anthony Davis) it just makes me downgrade their accomplishments a bit and it’s not necessary to give them those calls, they’ll dominate without them.
I get you. It used to anger me that refs would let Jordan swipe guys out of the way to get his shot off. It made me downgrade him a bit.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once stood next Barkley and was actually surprised he wasn't taller. He had only about 2" on me, maybe. But he sure was wide. Much wider than me and his legs looked like tree trunks. You can use that width to keep defenders off the shooting hand. In high school, I was forced to play center both years because we had no tall guys. So, I had to use my football bulk to rebound and get shots off.

It can be very effective as with the examples you gave show. i would throw Maurice Lucas in there. But, the NBA trend is away from that body type.

Yes, if one has a thicker body and long arm length, they can play a variety of positions.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
NBA refs are the worst in sports. They can really influence the game one way or another. Of course, basketball is a very difficult sport to ref as well. When the refs become "celebrities", like Foster and back when Joey Crawford loved to get noticed, there is a real credibility problem.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Good point. Adrian Dantley was the all time master at this. Scoring at will in the post at 6-5 or so (with very limited perimeter game) almost exclusively for most of his 20 plus year college and NBA career.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Good point. Adrian Dantley was the all time master at this. Scoring at will in the post at 6-5 or so (with very limited perimeter game) almost exclusively for most of his 20 plus year college and NBA career.
I've seen rumors where Dantley is supposedly smaller than 6'5". Makes what he did even more impressive.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave