2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hardaway is solid as a Sixth Man microwave. He's not a starter.

I don't see the need in Green and #10 at this stage, which is why I think one should be flipped for a piece to help now.

McGee isn't great but he's an average Center who can handle 20-25 minutes a night at the spot and provides good rim protection. As seen when he was here, he can fill the role Ayton had without any real dropoff. Spare me the playoff stuff, we all watched him struggle against Dallas because they run a 5 out offense that exploits his weaknesses, which is defending on the perimeter.

The way this deal could help add overall talent to the team, depending on what can done with Green or the pick. Whichever has more value should be flipped for a starter.

As far as Book being a PG, he's not a fulltime PG and moving him there would create a hole at SG. We need a combo guard, as Mainstreet said, which is what the modern PG's are turning into across the league.

McGee is unplayable against any team that can spread the court. Dallas glued him to their bench, he was wretched for them he is easily worse than Biz and Jock.

Hardaway is a black hole, and inefficient chucker who brings absolutely nothing else to the table. He and McGee are both on crappy deals.

I don't see this adding overall talent, unless Green blossoms.

This is a trade just to trade him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For sure, the Suns need to do better than this. This is who started in Game 6 against Denver.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I see the above starting lineup, I want to close my eyes.

I'd like to keep Cam Payne as a 3rd point guard if possible. He is not a throwaway as some in the media treat him, but he can't be relied upon as a backup point guard either.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For sure, the Suns need to do better than this. This is who started in Game 6 against Denver.

If we pull the trigger on that Mavs trade we'd be looking at a similar lineup all year. Hardaway supplants Shamet but, statistically, that isn't much of an upgrade.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When I see the above starting lineup, I want to close my eyes.

I'd like to keep Cam Payne as a 3rd point guard if possible. He is not a throwaway as some in the media treat him, but he can't be relied upon as a backup point guard either.

I view Payne a bit higher than you. He's a backup or part time starter but due to his availability issues any team relying on him needs a plan B. So either a veteran 3rd stringer who can play backup occasionally or a PGotF to grow as a third stringer.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we pull the trigger on that Mavs trade we'd be looking at a similar lineup all year. Hardaway supplants Shamet but, statistically, that isn't much of an upgrade.

I'm not thrilled with the proposed Dallas trade either but I'd like to keep Green and/or #10. Hardaway is fine coming off the bench.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I view Payne a bit higher than you. He's a backup or part time starter but due to his availability issues any team relying on him needs a plan B. So either a veteran 3rd stringer who can play backup occasionally or a PGotF to grow as a third stringer.

We agree on Payne but I see him repeatedly written off as a disposable piece in the media.

Addition: What I'm saying is the Suns need two other point guards who can legitimately start.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Send Payne back to China. They need to completely reboot their backcourt around Book. That Mavs trade wouldn’t be the deal straight up. I think the value is probably close but the pick would be going to a third team with a higher caliber rotation player to us.

I believe there’s probably a deal to be had with Atlanta. I wonder if they’re scared to pay Dejounte after seeing his poor fit with Trae. Of course we’d have to take back a terrible salary or two.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Send Payne back to China. They need to completely reboot their backcourt around Book. That Mavs trade wouldn’t be the deal straight up. I think the value is probably close but the pick would be going to a third team with a higher caliber rotation player to us.

I believe there’s probably a deal to be had with Atlanta. I wonder if they’re scared to pay Dejounte after seeing his poor fit with Trae. Of course we’d have to take back a terrible salary or two.

I doubt $4.5 million is going to help them that much.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Heat have 7 players on their roster that went undrafted.

By Kyle Irving 05-19-2023, The Sporting News:

Gabe Vincent, Max Strus, Caleb Martin, Duncan Robinson, Udonis Haslem, Haywood Highsmith and Omer Yurtseven.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The Heat have 7 players on their roster that went undrafted.

Gabe Vincent, Max Strus, Caleb Martin, Duncan Robinson, Udonis Haslem, Haywood Highsmith and Omer Yurtseven.

That's what happens when you have Pat Riley running your franchise for the last two decades instead of Bozo the Sarver.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what happens when you have Pat Riley running your franchise for the last two decades instead of Bozo the Sarver.

The Suns need the Heat's GM, coach, scouts and player development people. Actually, a lot of teams do.

Are you giving James Jones and Mat Ishbia a free pass for the moves they made before the trade deadline?

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The Suns need the Heat's GM, coach, scouts and player development people. Actually, a lot of teams do.

Are you giving James Jones and Mat Ishbia a free pass for the moves they made before the trade deadline?
The point being that all of that successful infrastructure in Miami's front office is there because of Riley, as is the resulting quality of teams on the court since seemingly forever.

Meanwhile, the Suns have nearly always been fighting an uphill battle as their owner neglected all of that important stuff because he was too busy counting paper clips and getting team employees to sign NDAs.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point being that all of that successful infrastructure in Miami's front office is there because of Riley, as is the resulting quality of teams on the court since seemingly forever.

Meanwhile, the Suns have nearly always been fighting an uphill battle as their owner neglected all of that important stuff because he was too busy counting paper clips and getting team employees to sign NDAs.

I understand. I hope the new Suns owner doesn't have such a long learning curve.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
not bad, but I like would like the third pick a whole lot more.
What's funny is I saw another analyst mentioning the same rumor, but with entirely different players from Dallas coming back to the Suns.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think from what I have read on Ishbia, he runs his business as find the best person for a spot and then let them run with the job. He's all about finding the best talent. I do see we let some front office people go already. I'm thinking they are starting to rebuild the front office?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have the one two punch we just need some dogs.
I want 2 guys on the floor with KD and Book that stand under the basket and $@#$ ppl up for rebounds and bomb 3s when needed lol.
Gotta have a promising PG to split time with CP38.
And some lock down defenders.
Is that too much to ask.
Its not Rocket Surgery

I think we also need that 6th man. i suspect KD will load manage as he gets older. Then the old injury bug usually bites us. and cp3 is probably gone.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So which former Suns players do I overrate in your opinion other than Bridges? Usually I get accused of overrating Suns players while they are with the team and downgrading them when they're gone. I'm interested to see you make your case, absurd though it is.

Listen, I get that some people disagree and believe Murray is better and that's fine. And before his injury I'd absolutely agree (even in comparison to Mikal today). Murray's career was in ascension after the bubble year postseason. He'd arrived on the scene but it's a what have you done for me lately league and his stock since then has slid.

This year, and this year only, Mikal, despite struggling for 6 weeks or so earlier in the season, has arguably outplayed Murray not just on defense but on both ends of the court. Not by much at all but the stats show him to have been a slightly better player this season.

That fact, coupled with the fact that since we traded him, Mikal has greatly increased his stock throughout the league makes me believe he'd have more value in trade. And that's before you factor in that Mikal is locked up for 3 more years for just under 70 million while Murray will earn 80 million in his two remaining years. On top of all this, Murray has missed 54 games over the past 3 seasons while Mikal has been a workhorse.
I love that everyone on your side of the argument consistently, and purposefully, neglects to address the elephant in the room:

Bridges shrinks in the playoffs
Murray rises in the playoffs

Which player do you think contenders would value more? No contest.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I love that everyone on your side of the argument consistently, and purposefully, neglects to address the elephant in the room:

Bridges shrinks in the playoffs
Murray rises in the playoffs

Which player do you think contenders would value more? No contest.
The other side of the coin is the old saying, "The best ability is availability!" We swept Denver without Murray in the playoffs. With Murray, we didn't fare too well. I love Bridges, but I think, let's wait and see when Bridges plays a few more seasons where he is at.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ayton could be the same mercurial pud there that he is here and it would be a huge boon for Dallas. He'd represent a huge upgrade defensively, not that he is a world better but the rest of their bigs are hot garbage on D, and one thing that Ayton consistently does well is set screens and Doncic would play off that brutally.
Can you imagine how many No look passes from doncic would bounce off Ayton’s face?

I think doncic would grow frustrated with him quickly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave