2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Because a team could cut him before the 2nd portion of his contract is guaranteed. They would only be on the hook for 15 million. You have to wait until it's fully guaranteed to get the full 30 million back.
I think the Suns have to guarantee his 23-24 Salary before they can trade him anyway

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What the Hornets do with Bridges and the 2nd pick is a good question. Everyone knows Saben Lee is going to start at point for the Suns next season........

Miles Bridges is a rough case, any NBA team that signs him is facing a PR nightmare.

Also, barring multiple injuries, there is zero chance Saben Lee is going to start at point for the Suns next year. I don't think anyone considers that a realistic possibility.

Regardless of what happens with Paul, Cam Payne... whoever, I doubt Saben Lee is even on the roster when the season tips off.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
What the Hornets do with Bridges and the 2nd pick is a good question. Everyone knows Saben Lee is going to start at point for the Suns next season........
I don't have anything against Saben Lee or anything but he isn't a starting PG - especially for a team trying to contend - it's amazing how we can complain about a player all season long but then anoint them after playing a few good games

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wouldn't cp3 have more value to Portland than Ayton at this point? CP3 could do what he did here with Book with Dame, for 1 year lol.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wouldn't cp3 have more value to Portland than Ayton at this point? CP3 could do what he did here with Book with Dame, for 1 year lol.
Are you insane.

CP3 has basically zero value.

Ayton 24 years old and is going to be an all star once he goes to another team - mark my words. Their values are not remotely close.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you insane.

Ayton 24 years old and is going to be an all star once he goes to another team - mark my words. Their values are not remotely close.
I wouldn't call an expiring contract zero value. Plus, I wouldn't bank on Ayton being a perennial All-Star. Many of Ayton's shortcomings you can't blame on coaching. I would take that bet.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have anything against Saben Lee or anything but he isn't a starting PG - especially for a team trying to contend - it's amazing how we can complain about a player all season long but then anoint them after playing a few good games

Agree, Saban Lee is nowhere ready to start in the NBA but I think he has an opportunity to make a 15-man roster.

He is athletic, an adequate shooter and will put his nose in there on defense. Lee needs playing time, though. It would be great to keep him on a two-way contract.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Thing is - we don't just need to rebuild the team - we need to rebuild it to beat Denver - which is a lot more complex - because the Joker isn't going anywhere and every free agent will want to go there

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think the Suns have to guarantee his 23-24 Salary before they can trade him anyway
I am more confused than ever. Brendon Kleen who is a writer at Suns.com said the team getting Paul would only be on the hook for $15 million, and could stretch that over 5 seasons. He didn't go into nuts and bolts of it. So I don't know if we are trading him and we pay $15, and then the new team pays the other $15, or we trade him and then they can cut him and only pay the $15 guaranteed. Too many questions regarding this. Some writer here locally should look into this and find out what the real deal is on CP3 situation.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am more confused than ever. Brendon Kleen who is a writer at Suns.com said the team getting Paul would only be on the hook for $15 million, and could stretch that over 5 seasons. He didn't go into nuts and bolts of it. So I don't know if we are trading him and we pay $15, and then the new team pays the other $15, or we trade him and then they can cut him and only pay the $15 guaranteed. Too many questions regarding this. Some writer here locally should look into this and find out what the real deal is on CP3 situation.

My understanding is that if they trade him before they fully guarantee his contract, they can only get $15M in return. If they trade him after the full $30M is guaranteed, they can get $30M in return.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thing is - we don't just need to rebuild the team - we need to rebuild it to beat Denver - which is a lot more complex - because the Joker isn't going anywhere and every free agent will want to go there

Yeah, the Nuggets have built around three players they drafted (Jokic, Porter and Murray) and Aaron Gordon has been with them for three seasons. This is one of the reasons I wanted the Suns to keep building around their young core players before the trade for Durant. Sometimes it takes awhile for a young team to peak.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Stretching CP doesn’t create cap space so it’s pointless. They’re guaranteeing his option b/c no team out there is taking him on at $30m and only sending back half that salary. We’re getting a bad contract in return but it may be multiplied players to improve depth.

If Charlotte is trying to get Rozier off the books…

Paul = $28m

Rozier + PJ Washington = $27m

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn't call an expiring contract zero value. Plus, I wouldn't bank on Ayton being a perennial All-Star. Many of Ayton's shortcomings you can't blame on coaching. I would take that bet.
I didn't say perennial all-star, but it's not impossible.

He is better than Sabonis, and he just made the all-star team. The bar isn't super high for centers.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He is better than Sabonis, and he just made the all-star team. The bar isn't super high for centers.

Ayton is not better than Sabonis, who has now been selected as an All-Star in both conferences.

There is no Center position when selecting All-Stars anymore, it's frontcourt and backcourt. Ayton won't have the benefit of playing a position relatively weak further down the line. There's 2 MVP's at Center and then 2 All-Star's in Bam and Sabonis. Then beyond those 4 it's a little murky but there are plenty of bigs in both conferences better than Ayton, Brook Lopez is one, Robert Williams another. Anthony Davis when healthy is always a consideration. Ayton isn't getting a Jamal Magloire All-Star nod anytime soon, not with bigs like Chet and Wemby coming up also.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don’t think anyone would take Ayton over Sabonis. Sabonis is a three-time All-Star, 1 time 3rd Team All NBA, a better rebounder, scorer and VASTLY superior passer and has no motor questions, while showing the ability to be very good in both conferences.

Ayton has never sniffed an All-Star or All NBA team, can’t create for himself or others, was an absolutely horrid defender this year and his defense js consistently overrated here, evidenced by never being recognized or coming close to any All-Defense team despite as you say a dearth of good centers. Dude is the definition of empty calories who has now quit on his own team twice in the playoffs.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton is not better than Sabonis, who has now been selected as an All-Star in both conferences.

There is no Center position when selecting All-Stars anymore, it's frontcourt and backcourt. Ayton won't have the benefit of playing a position relatively weak further down the line. There's 2 MVP's at Center and then 2 All-Star's in Bam and Sabonis. Then beyond those 4 it's a little murky but there are plenty of bigs in both conferences better than Ayton, Brook Lopez is one, Robert Williams another. Anthony Davis when healthy is always a consideration. Ayton isn't getting a Jamal Magloire All-Star nod anytime soon, not with bigs like Chet and Wemby coming up also.
I don’t think there’s much doubt that JJJ is valued more highly than Ayton at this point also, being recognized as Defensive Player Of The Year, a 2 time All-NBA defense guy and a 1 Time All-Star.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stretching CP doesn’t create cap space so it’s pointless. They’re guaranteeing his option b/c no team out there is taking him on at $30m and only sending back half that salary. We’re getting a bad contract in return but it may be multiplied players to improve depth.

Paul = $28m

If there’s a universe where we can turn Paul and Ayton into Rozier, Anfernee Simons, PJ Washington and the 3rd pick in the draft, James Jones deserves a 20 year extension .

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought I was in a Lakers or Knicks board with these ridiculously lopsided trade fantasies.

This is part of why I didn't want KD and to become a "super team". Hes a different level of Star where his name carries more weight than his stats and understandably so. However now we're linked to getting Kyrie, Harden, and more simply because this is now a team with a Superstar like KD. It's made some fans act like Lakers or Knicks fans. Getting KD was only half, having an owner who wants to spend to win is the other. It's exciting and fun since we just came off 2 decades with an owner who was allergic to spending so I totally understand getting swept up in it but the new CBA makes a lot of things wholly unrealistic.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Paul = $28m

No. He was saying the new team acquiring CP3 could stretch his contract. That is news to me. Since Brenden Kleen writes for the Suns, and is there in the building, I am assuming he knows more about it than I do.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you insane.

LOL, i know it was pure wishing on my part that would just trade cp3 for 2-3 usable pieces.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone would take Ayton over Sabonis. Sabonis is a three-time All-Star, 1 time 3rd Team All NBA, a better rebounder, scorer and VASTLY superior passer and has no motor questions, while showing the ability to be very good in both conferences.

Ayton has never sniffed an All-Star or All NBA team, can’t create for himself or others, was an absolutely horrid defender this year and his defense js consistently overrated here, evidenced by never being recognized or coming close to any All-Defense team despite as you say a dearth of good centers. Dude is the definition of empty calories who has now quit on his own team twice in the playoffs.
Well I would never take Sabonis. Nobody will ever convince me Ayton isn't more talented, because he is.

Sabonis was total garbage in the playoffs this year, of course so was Ayton.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo said today Nurse may still be a candidate and he might have been wrong to count him out.

He also said there is zero chance Suns will pay Chris Paul 30 million this year. Said they will either trade him or cut him for the 15 million. They would then offer him the min if he still wanted to play for us.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I would never take Sabonis. Nobody will ever convince me Ayton isn't more talented, because he is.

Sabonis was total garbage in the playoffs this year, of course so was Ayton.
I would say that overall for their careers, DA has been the better player. But IMO Sabonis clearly outplayed him this season. With Monty out of the picture though, I wouldn't take Sabonis over him either even though it's a decision we could soon regret. We're just hoping that Monty is the main reason Ayton failed us this season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson