Monty Williams Fired (Hired by Detroit)

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I'd rather have Isiah as a Head Coach than a GM. I'm not considering the settled lawsuit as I have no real knowledge of that aspect of the man but I've seen him as a GM and I've been remarkably unimpressed.

I figure he can do less damage as a Coach. If he runs afoul of Durant or Booker, he won't last long. KD left Kerr for the Nets 5 seasons ago and since then the teams he's been on have gone through 4 Head Coaches while KD has logged a total of 154 games. Booker's coach to games played average is better but still, I think 5 of his Head Coaches have been let go (counting the interim). My point is, as Head Coach Thomas will have to succeed and not piss off his stars or he'll be shown the door, best buddy to the owner or not. GM's can usually fire a subordinate or two before they get the axe.
Dude has a 187-223 record as a head coach, in 5 seasons. He did make the playoffs 3 times in Indiana, but with records that were at or just a couple of games over .500. His playoff record is 5-10 and I don't think they ever got out of the 1st round. Just say no to Thomas.

AzCardsfan76

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'd rather have Isiah as a Head Coach than a GM. I'm not considering the settled lawsuit as I have no real knowledge of that aspect of the man but I've seen him as a GM and I've been remarkably unimpressed.

I figure he can do less damage as a Coach. If he runs afoul of Durant or Booker, he won't last long. KD left Kerr for the Nets 5 seasons ago and since then the teams he's been on have gone through 4 Head Coaches while KD has logged a total of 154 games. Booker's coach to games played average is better but still, I think 5 of his Head Coaches have been let go (counting the interim). My point is, as Head Coach Thomas will have to succeed and not piss off his stars or he'll be shown the door, best buddy to the owner or not. GM's can usually fire a subordinate or two before they get the axe.
Isiah Thomas shouldn't even be let in the building. He was a terrible GM, Coach and generally a bad person. The NBA literally cleared Sarver out of the building for his misdoings, why the heck would they bring in Thomas? Here are a couple reminders of his history.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Gambo saying no Bud, no Nurse. Saying Lou is a long shot because he has to want to go to the suns and get out of his contract.

So much for getting a good experienced coach it sounds like.
Dumping Monty without a well thought out succession plan is a scary proposition!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Bringing in Thomas under any circumstance, Coach or GM, would be an unmitigated disaster that call Ishbia’s decision making process into major question.
After the initial backlash Ishbia received from associating with Thomas, you'd figure he'd wise up. I can't imagine any serious basketball fan wanting Thomas anywhere near their favorite team.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Dumping Monty without a well thought out succession plan is a scary proposition!
I saw a documentary on, I think it was the Niners, but anyway, it was a sports franchise that is historically always one of the top teams. They were talking about their front office hires, and saying they already found the successor to the guy they were firing BEFORE they let the fired person go! I think that separates the good franchises from the bad. They are always looking.

That was one thing that impressed me about the new GM for the cards. He was already looking at coaching candidates BEFORE he even got his first GM job with the Cards. He was making contacts and interviewing guys before he even had a job.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude has a 187-223 record as a head coach, in 5 seasons. He did make the playoffs 3 times in Indiana, but with records that were at or just a couple of games over .500. His playoff record is 5-10 and I don't think they ever got out of the 1st round. Just say no to Thomas.
Judging from the responses, my post must not have been clear. I am anti IT in any role here. But there have been a lot of rumors/reports about his future here and while I'd much rather not see that happen, I'd greatly prefer him to be our Head Coach rather than our GM. And my reasoning for that is that he will likely get tossed to the street quicker as a Head Coach than as a GM which should minimize the damage he can do.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We don’t have time to experiment with Thomas or Young for that matter. We need a proven commodity while the window is still open. I’ll be happy with Nurse or Lue. Preferably Lue since his teams play hard and get the most out of his role players. He’s a tactician.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha! I was going to say the exact same thing. Can Steve Wilks coach basketball?
Yeah and he'll agree to play a 2-3 zone because of our personnel but actually force them to play man to man and switch everything by going over the pick.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Even Indiana is a blight on his resume. They were in the finals the year before he got there and they had the best record in the league the year after they fired him. They basically wasted 3 years of a legit contender because of him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose