2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I don't think GS will fire Bob Myers so a GM candidate I would target is Mike Zarren of BOS. He is VP of Basketball Operations and is heavy on analytics and runs the cap, two key areas I feel a GM should be an expert in when constructing a roster.

Obviously, I don't think a coaching search or hire will take place until a decision is made about James Jones but to be honest I think PHX needs to go in another direction.

As far as the bench, here are some minimum contract guys I'm interested in:
C Thomas Bryant
SG Shake Milton
SG Seth Curry

Current roster:
Trade Ayton, Shamet, Payne & Paul if possible. I’d keep Bazley as I think he has potential to develop into our starting PF.
Myers’ contract is up and its curious that Golden State hasn’t re-upped him yet.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Welp, at least DA's value is the lowest its ever been, so there's that. What team needs a snuggly soft 7ft bench warmer? They will be beating down out doors for some of that.
We may be better off keeping him and see what happens if the new coach actually draws up plays for him and knows how to use a center.
You think DA studies plays? Remember his shining moment against the Clips 3 years ago on the lob-dunk with 1 sec left? Monty had to spell it out to him like a 5 year old to make sure he understood. Or he would have brought it down and tried a fade away or something stupid

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You think DA studies plays? Remember his shining moment against the Clips 3 years ago on the lob-dunk with 1 sec left? Monty had to spell it out to him like a 5 year old to make sure he understood. Or he would have brought it down and tried a fade away or something stupid
There is a small chance that a new coach that gets in his head could make a big change. And right now I'll take it. He's always gonna be available for trade I'm just saying lets not rush it.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did you not see him against us in the first round. He carried that team.

We would be lucky to have him

If you make your entire team subservient to Westbrook's style of play... he can put up some numbers. You probably won't win... but he will put up some stats.

Ask him to play within a system, you also won't win and he is going to look like absolute horse crap.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CP3 for Mann, Batum, Covington trade works, better bench players than we have now.

I couldn't get it to work in the ESPN trade machine. If it could be made to work with different players, I'd want Bones Hyland included.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, there is no chance that Harden and Irving will play together again. Harden can't stand him.

I'm was just trying to recreate a version of the old Nets roster because former Brooklyn players keep popping up in Suns trade rumors.

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Whatever/wherever Ayton goes, the #1 goal should be to land 2 stellar defensive players. Our defense was just terrible in the playoffs. Once the reg season ended, the bench disappeared defensively. . . and I was singing Akogi's praises before that. We lost two very good defensive players in Crowder and Bridges; CP3's main defensive contribution was in steals, but as he slowed down, his size and health became defensive liabilities. Payne is good offensively, but again a liability. Ayton is marginal on defense, terrible on O rebounding and acceptable on defensive rebounding. So . . .

Since we are highly unlikely to find a Jocic or Embiid-like center, I suggest we more or less cede the middle with a reliable defensive rebounder/non-scorer; try to pick up defense at the off-forward position and backup guard position. I don't now what his stats are but I would love to get the Nuggets backup center. Not at all the most desirable scenario but we ain't gonna get that because we gave up too much to get KD.

Reaction score
Well there you go. No need to make changes just get healthy. Nothing to see here
You are correct, in that playoffs are a totally different season. We saw how radically worse the bench was during the playoffs. We had two players, Book and KD, who could play at "season" level in playoffs. That said, I don't know how we do it but we need to get MUCH better defensively, and I don't think it matters if Ayton is there or not. I don't think he improves the D all that much if at all.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at some of the rumors, I think some of the writers only know the names of star players.