Monty Williams Fired (Hired by Detroit)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Interesting. I wonder if Booker and Durant perhaps felt the team was predictable in their offensive sets etc. and relayed that. It was obvious to just about everyone the go to was ISO Book, ISO Durant.....rinse repeat. We also struggled big time in the finals to make adjustments and we know how the last 2 seasons turned out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of teams will look at the Suns before Monty Williams arrived and where the Suns are today.

The Suns were terrible before Monty arrived and we the saw the Suns start to rise in the Orlando bubble.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think a lot of teams will look at the Suns before Monty Williams arrived and where the Suns are today.

The Suns were terrible before Monty arrived and we the saw the Suns start to rise in the Orlando bubble.

Monty’s success is directly tied to Chris Paul. Paul and Booker taking the next step are what made the Suns not Monty. Monty was just along for the ride

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It all comes down, do the Suns want to spend luxury tax money on him? He is scheduled to make $6,205,035 next season.

That's a lot of money for the Suns with the new CBA.
Didn't realize it was that much.

That does make it a tougher decision.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder whether Doc Rivers will be available.
Probably, why would you want him?

Of the retreads only Lou and Nurse interest me, otherwise I would go with an assistant who is hopefully an up and comer.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably, why would you want him?

Of the retreads only Lou and Nurse interest me, otherwise I would go with an assistant who is hopefully an up and comer.
You can't go with an up and comer when you are in win now mode with a window open. The Suns would get roasted and then you might as well have kept Monty.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honestly , how does Stephen A Smith even have a job?
He's willing to play a jester. It's more about having a strong opinion and being willing to look like a fool sometimes backing it up to generate interest than having good takes. That's what brings viewers.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty’s success is directly tied to Chris Paul. Paul and Booker taking the next step are what made the Suns not Monty. Monty was just along for the ride

Most of James Jones success is tied to the Chris Paul trade as well.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You can't go with an up and comer when you are in win now mode with a window open. The Suns would get roasted and then you might as well have kept Monty.
Don't understand that mind set.

The idea is to improve. Bud or a Vogel, or Doc Rivers are worse coaches than Monty or at best on the same level. If the idea is to improve you don't hire those guys, so if you can't get Lou or Nurse you have to go with an inexperienced guy to get better. At least that is the way I look at it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

The idea is to improve. Bud or a Vogel, or Doc Rivers are worse coaches than Monty or at best on the same level. If the idea is to improve you don't hire those guys, so if you can't get Lou or Nurse you have to go with an inexperienced guy to get better. At least that is the way I look at it.
You have a window now. You can't hire a guy with zero pedigree. It makes zero sense. So you are going to risk your window for a guy with no proven track record? No thanks. You are not going to improve your title window with a guy learning to do his job. Watch what happens if the Suns do that.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You have a window now. You can't hire a guy with zero pedigree. It makes zero sense. So you are going to risk your window for a guy with no proven track record? No thanks. You are not going to improve your title window with a guy learning to do his job. Watch what happens if the Suns do that.
How have the Celtics done the last 2 years with coaches with no pedigree?

Nurse and Spolstra had very little pedigree when they won their titles.

I'm really not sure I agree we even have a window. Going to take some mighty good GM'ing to somehow make this into a contender IMO.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How have the Celtics done the last 2 years with coaches with no pedigree?

Nurse and Spolstra had very little pedigree when they won their titles.

I'm really not sure I agree we even have a window. Going to take some mighty good GM'ing to somehow make this into a contender IMO.
You are talking about the exception not the rule. Most new HC are learning their job. If you agree or not the Suns are built to win now. If this team was in full reboot mode it would make much more sense.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Agree. Find the willie green assistant if you can’t land the stud.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No you hire a guy who lays out a plan and shows intellect to rise to the next level.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson