Monty Williams Fired (Hired by Detroit)

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I thought FVV and Nurse had issues this year? I vaguely remember hearing FVV didn't get along with him.
Dont know, but if they both willingly come to the same team, then that would likely prove they didn't. They are if's though.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Because Sarver sadecked him with a bucket of crap replacing Amare with Childress/Turkoglu and Hakeem Warrick.

AND I never even said Gentry was a great coach. In fact he’s NOT a great coach which only spoke further to DA’s mediocrity. Basically unless you were a terrible coach like Porter, if you had a healthy Nash/Amare, you were a contender regardless.

But neither DA nor Gentry could get the team to the Finals because they weren’t great coaches.
Or maybe those players weren’t good enough.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We went something like 13 - 4 when CamJ and Booker were both healthy and had another 8-2 stretch where we were healthy other than Devin which was impressive considering all told we were 11-17 without him (that's including his 3 minute game). And we had another strong stretch when KD returned from his ankle injury. Anyway, when we had all or most of our players healthy (pre-trade) we played at a 60 plus win clip.
Yes, but the Suns had lots of injuries and the disappointing outcome of their season reflected that. it seems like the injuries played a much larger factor than coaching deficiencies.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but the Suns had lots of injuries and the disappointing outcome of their season reflected that. it seems like the injuries played a much larger factor than coaching deficiencies.
Agreed.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I should also mention the Nets have the right to swaps picks in the 2028 draft.

Anyone missing any twins?
You mean the guys who got their asses positively whipped by that choking Sixers team? You know… Bridges who shot a humiliating 27% from the field in his last 3.5 games? Completely disappearing in the playoffs the same way he did against Dallas and the Bucks?

I didn’t enjoy the hellacious butt whooping at the end of this season, but I also didn’t like the last one with the twins either… when we were totally healthy AND the heavy favorite.

I get hating the end of the season, but pining for the embarassing back to back collapses of the previous two seasons makes very little sense to me.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or maybe those players weren’t good enough.
The 7 seconds or less teams weren’t good enough for DA to get to the Finals? Man, if that’s what you’re saying in defense of DA, we can just agree to disagree.

Last edited:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I know how the NFL works concerning fired coaches but not the NBA. I believe Monty's remaining salary is guaranteed. But if get another NBA job, is it offset? Or can the Suns buy out his contract? Not sure how this works.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know how the NFL works concerning fired coaches but not the NBA. I believe Monty's remaining salary is guaranteed. But if get another NBA job, is it offset? Or can the Suns buy out his contract? Not sure how this works.

Basically the same. Depends on terms of the deal whether him getting another head coaching job offsets any salary. Coaches salary doesn't count against the cap so it doesn't really matter to anyone other than Ishbia whether Monty continues drawing a salary.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I should also mention the Nets have the right to swaps picks in the 2028 draft.

Anyone missing any twins?
I am missing a group of guys that also collapsed, a guy who we would be stuck with as our PF had he resigned and most of all miss being a good team that never gets over the hump. What's another 55?

Last edited:

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Somewhere mentioned Frank Vogel as potential successor to Monty. What's story about him. Somehow I remember he did quite well as Pacers' coach?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Somewhere mentioned Frank Vogel as potential successor to Monty. What's story about him. Somehow I remember he did quite well as Pacers' coach?
Our team is a horrible match for Vogel's coaching style. Way too much of a defense first mindset. Our pieces mesh well with Bud and with Nurse.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stephen A. Smith says Deandre Ayton got Monty Williams fired.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The national narrative that Monty is like a fall guy is hilarious. Monty Williams success in Phoenix seemed 100% tied to Chris Paul. Once Paul went down Monty had no clue how to adjust to anything. Monty Williams is not an elite head coach at all not even a little bit

The stuff Gambo brought up about Monty and DA is unacceptable from a head coach that’s childish and petty. For being this great guy he sure does get into it with a lot of players.