Monty Williams Fired (Hired by Detroit)

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, we had our best chance at a title two years after DA was gone, so that’s fine with me.

I don’t know why you continually ignore that Gentry got the Nash/Amare Show just as far as DA did, but actually built a bench, played them and slayed the dragon otherwise known as the Spurs.
Ok then why did they fire gentry?

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Really, really? A healthy Suns team this season would have been a 1 or 2 seed. Still would have crashed and burned due to playoff injuries bad bench and bad coaching. Monty not an X’s and O’s Coach. No ability to call timeouts or adjust on the fly. Nice guy, but Happy he’s gone.
when were the Suns healthy?

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe. I just think that Ayton needs a reboot elsewhere.
I agree. Grass is not always greener.

we gave up too much for Durant. We had a young, talented team that was going to compete for years With a coach winning 60%. It was fun to watch. I hope I am wrong, but we are all in and it seems we are drawing thin.

The trade again gutted what little the Suns had for a short term goal.

However, Monty will find another job. All the NBA does is recycle and reaollocates coaches and players. New leadership can renews & refresh...it happens all the time when a commander is removed from the role “due to a loss of confidence in his ability to command."

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok then why did they fire gentry?

Because Sarver sadecked him with a bucket of crap replacing Amare with Childress/Turkoglu and Hakeem Warrick.

AND I never even said Gentry was a great coach. In fact he’s NOT a great coach which only spoke further to DA’s mediocrity. Basically unless you were a terrible coach like Porter, if you had a healthy Nash/Amare, you were a contender regardless.

But neither DA nor Gentry could get the team to the Finals because they weren’t great coaches.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
If you go back and look at the last few decades the well balanced team champions are few and far between. Most had a top 5-10 player on them. Some had two. And it’s not like that doesn’t go back to the 80s and 90s with magic, Larry, Jordan, olajawon.
I would argue that most championship teams are a combination of one or more top players while also being pretty well balanced. The Pop Spurs and the MJ Bulls specifically fall into both categories to me.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when were the Suns healthy?
We went something like 13 - 4 when CamJ and Booker were both healthy and had another 8-2 stretch where we were healthy other than Devin which was impressive considering all told we were 11-17 without him (that's including his 3 minute game). And we had another strong stretch when KD returned from his ankle injury. Anyway, when we had all or most of our players healthy (pre-trade) we played at a 60 plus win clip.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It didn't happen much but we went something like 13 - 4 when CamJ and Booker were both healthy and had another 8-2 stretch where we were healthy other than Devin which was impressive considering all told we were 11-17 without him (that's including his 3 minute game). And we had another strong stretch when KD returned from his ankle injury. Anyway, when we had all or most of our players healthy (pre-trade) we played at a 60 plus win clip.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I am completely against Budenholzer. Even his players were mad about the lack of in-series adjustments made during the past few playoffs. Giannis mentioned it in his post game presser after the heat loss. I think we would be just as frustrated.

I need more info on Nurse but really like the guy.

My first choice is Lue. This guy made in game adjustments, middle series adjustments, and generally made his undermanned squad better every time they suited up in the playoffs. He's a former player and has the respect of NBA players and knows how to work with top level stars.

Lue #1
Nurse #2

No to Bud.

After that: :shrug:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do they not? He’s a restricted free agent.

It all comes down, do the Suns want to spend luxury tax money on him? He is scheduled to make $6,205,035 next season.

That's a lot of money for the Suns with the new CBA.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was very shortsighted of the previous owner. Good drafting (meaning good scouting) gets you a roster filled with (relatively) inexpensive talent. It's a win-win. But I'm pretty sure winning was like a third or fourth priority for Sarver, ranking somewhere after making coin, fluffing his own ego, and running a frat house of an organization.

The priorities seemed out of sort under Robert Sarver and James Jones. At times, they seemed to be pennywise and pound foolish.

The draft is where a team finds cheap talent.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Unless the Clippers fire Lue I can't see how the Suns could get him. They'd have to trade and they don't have much to trade with. Color me skeptical that this is a rumor with actual legs to it.
Unfortunately, Thomas is lurking around...

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If he plays like a #1 pick, then we don’t need to trade him.

I don’t know if he would ever play like a #1 pick. His mindset to be a #1 pick is not there. They need to figure out whats his motivation.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think you are remembering how good both Isiah Thomas and Joe Dumars were in that run.
Very very good players. Neither were the level of the guys I listed. They’ve never been included in that pantheon.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Unless the Clippers fire Lue I can't see how the Suns could get him. They'd have to trade and they don't have much to trade with. Color me skeptical that this is a rumor with actual legs to it.
Unfortunately, Thomas is lurking around...
I wondered about this myself. He's the interim, though, isn't he?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Isiah is a unicorn. Most have him as the second best PG of all time behind Magic before Steph

If you told me you thought Isiah and Joe are the best back court of all time I could see that. They won 2 and should of had 3
I don’t think zeke was a unicorn. I think he was a notch below them. The list gave before, he comes after all of them - including curry.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I would argue that most championship teams are a combination of one or more top players while also being pretty well balanced. The Pop Spurs and the MJ Bulls specifically fall into both categories to me.
My point is that you need one or more top players. Jordan. Duncan.