Monty Williams Fired (Hired by Detroit)

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
man, do you all have short memories. i remember not wanting to even waste my time watching before Monty got here. I think Ishbia screwed us with the Durant trade. so far not a fan of what he is doing. personally I think he is going to bring in his old Michigan coach. Monty is not to blame for Bookers poor performance and KD's piss poor play. his bad shooting and turn overs were all mental. not Monty's fault and no Ayton or Paul combined with your super stars stinking up the place. my disappointment was with our Defense we showed no heart the last 2 games. that would be on Monty! as far as you people constantly complaining about his lack of adjustments, he tried most everyone on the Bench. with the exception of a game or 2 none of them could hit an open 3 from the corner. we had a team of mental midgets. I'm disappointed to the point I don't think I will see a championship in my life time, with this new owner.
I agree. Grass is not always greener.

we gave up too much for Durant. We had a young, talented team that was going to compete for years With a coach winning 60%. It was fun to watch. I hope I am wrong, but we are all in and it seems we are drawing thin.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I’ll take Nurse out of the available options.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don’t understand the Lue love. Guy got bounced with a better cast than Monte. What’s he going to do here with two guys and nothing else? This guys been riding Lebrons coattails for years.

Had he been bounced at any time with a healthy PG and Kawhi then I would agree, but the truth is he got his Clippers teams to significantly overachieve with their superstars constantly out with injuries. He seemed to always make solid intra and inter game tactical adjustments and calls timely time-outs.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Had he been bounced at any time with a healthy PG and Kawhi then I would agree, but the truth is he got his Clippers teams to significantly overachieve with their superstars constantly out with injuries. He seemed to always make solid intra and inter game tactical adjustments and calls timely time-outs.
Superstars with injuries? He'll be right at home in Phoenix.

PHI PHX PHAN

Rookie
Reaction score
I absolutely don't like this move but what's done is done.

He was pressed against unrealistic and historic circumstances after one season of historic success.

The next coach better win it in 2 years

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree, although I think Bazley has upside. However, I doubt the Suns can afford to keep him.

I wish the Suns had the time and money to find out.
How do they not? He’s a restricted free agent.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
man, do you all have short memories. i remember not wanting to even waste my time watching before Monty got here. I think Ishbia screwed us with the Durant trade. so far not a fan of what he is doing. personally I think he is going to bring in his old Michigan coach. Monty is not to blame for Bookers poor performance and KD's piss poor play. his bad shooting and turn overs were all mental. not Monty's fault and no Ayton or Paul combined with your super stars stinking up the place. my disappointment was with our Defense we showed no heart the last 2 games. that would be on Monty! as far as you people constantly complaining about his lack of adjustments, he tried most everyone on the Bench. with the exception of a game or 2 none of them could hit an open 3 from the corner. we had a team of mental midgets. I'm disappointed to the point I don't think I will see a championship in my life time, with this new owner.
I can’t believe how many of you define “adjustment” in such simplistic terms as he threw different players on the court in desperation. Because at the end that’s all he did. Hmm that player didn’t work this game I’m going to someone else on the bench. Hmm that didn’t work I’m throwing someone else out there. Guys that played the game before got zero minutes the next. That’s not strategic and analytical. That’s desperation.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Would they?

Based on the posts here, for years, it is impossible to win a title without a "unicorn".

This year Booker became a unicorn but he "didn't have help."

I don't really subscribe to the unicorn theory... I think there are a few players that only got the "unicorn" designation because they've already won. If you make a strong, well balanced roster, you can win.

Where I truly fault Monty is for not winning last year, that was the best team in the NBA, unicorn be damned.

This year we gave him the so called "unicorn" that was needed, although I don't believe Durant is a unicorn... and we were a lesser product.

Either way, Monty needed to go... but I just can't reconcile how many people are arguing for both edges of the sword.
If you go back and look at the last few decades the well balanced team champions are few and far between. Most had a top 5-10 player on them. Some had two. And it’s not like that doesn’t go back to the 80s and 90s with magic, Larry, Jordan, olajawon.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t believe how many of you define “adjustment” in such simplistic terms as he threw different players on the court in desperation. Because at the end that’s all he did. Hmm that player didn’t work this game I’m going to someone else on the bench. Hmm that didn’t work I’m throwing someone else out there. Guys that played the game before got zero minutes the next. That’s not strategic and analytical. That’s desperation.
It's desperation and it impacts player confidence and team cohesion. Have you ever sat on the bench knowing damned well you could help your team more than the guy putting up brick after brick?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you go back and look at the last few decades the well balanced team champions are few and far between. Most had a top 5-10 player on them. Some had two. And it’s not like that doesn’t go back to the 80s and 90s with magic, Larry, Jordan, olajawon.
I think you need both. A nearly unstoppable player or two and a well balanced team behind him/them. When opponents can ignore your 3rd or 4th best player on down, you've got problems.

Austin Zonie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You almost have to see what you can get out of DA with a new coaching staff /offensive system before trading him away. Waiting may cause his value to drop, but the potential of improvement is worth that comparatively small risk, IMO.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think you need both. A nearly unstoppable player or two and a well balanced team behind him/them. When opponents can ignore your 3rd or 4th best player on down, you've got problems.
Well of course. We’ve seen how difficult it is when even your fifth starter can’t knock down a wide open 3. But the idea that a well balanced team is all you need is an exception to the rule about needing a unicorn. A Lebron, curry, dirk, KD, Giannis, kahwi, Duncan, Kobe, olajawon, Jordan, shaq . . . other than the two Detroit iterations, every team had a unicorn.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The best coaching that Monty did this postseason was between games 2 and 3 vs Denver, and all he did is put in Warren and Ross instead of Lee. But when it really matters, in game, he failed miserably.

He does wonders for culture. I have no doubt he could help the Grizzlies, for example, but he will never be a coach that is good enough to make adjustments IN GAME to get a championship. He was still tweaking lineups in game 3 of the 2nd round! I mean what the hell were we doing the last 5 games of the regular season?? Just terrible game management skills. His assistants are supposed to be able to help with that, which is why I have no interest in Kevin Young.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Not to throw dynamite on all these discussions, but I thought Draymond Green was coming to phoenix this off season to be our third guy? :shrug: There's going to be options. I would love to see Draymond and Ayton BOTH here IF we get stuck with Ayton. What would be the over/under in days before Draymond punched Ayton?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Well of course. We’ve seen how difficult it is when even your fifth starter can’t knock down a wide open 3. But the idea that a well balanced team is all you need is an exception to the rule about needing a unicorn. A Lebron, curry, dirk, KD, Giannis, kahwi, Duncan, Kobe, olajawon, Jordan, shaq . . . other than the two Detroit iterations, every team had a unicorn.
I don't think you are remembering how good both Isiah Thomas and Joe Dumars were in that run.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The best coaching that Monty did this postseason was between games 2 and 3 vs Denver, and all he did is put in Warren and Ross instead of Lee. But when it really matters, in game, he failed miserably.

He does wonders for culture. I have no doubt he could help the Grizzlies, for example, but he will never be a coach that is good enough to make adjustments IN GAME to get a championship. He was still tweaking lineups in game 3 of the 2nd round! I mean what the hell were we doing the last 5 games of the regular season?? Just terrible game management skills. His assistants are supposed to be able to help with that, which is why I have no interest in Kevin Young.
I agree. I don't want Green. We also have talked about how Willie Green was a missing component this year.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not to throw dynamite on all these discussions, but I thought Draymond Green was coming to phoenix this off season to be our third guy? :shrug: There's going to be options. I would love to see Draymond and Ayton BOTH here IF we get stuck with Ayton. What would be the over/under in days before Draymond punched Ayton?

Draymond is just a name at this point in his career. He’s washed and IMO a cancer now.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think you are remembering how good both Isiah Thomas and Joe Dumars were in that run.

Isiah is a unicorn. Most have him as the second best PG of all time behind Magic before Steph

If you told me you thought Isiah and Joe are the best back court of all time I could see that. They won 2 and should of had 3

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I’ve never seen a coach play with his starting line up in the playoffs like Monty did this year. That was just crazy to me