Monty Williams Fired (Hired by Detroit)

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The major problem with Monty was that he was stubborn to a fault as a coach. He also seemed to engender some significant personality conflicts with certain players, and seemed to treat others with disregard for no apparent reason. I suspect he is more difficult to get along with than his public media persona lets on.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't know but I bet he feels pretty dumb now lol
I don’t think they should have fired him. This news doesn’t change my opinion.

If the suns keep the same roster, have similar injuries as this year and then win a championship with a new coach then I will feel dumb.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It probably increases the chances of him being on the roster, but I’d bet a considerable amount of money on him getting traded this offseason

We shall see. Kyler was a little ******* and the moment the coach was out he is suddenly engaged and Captain Az

Bad bosses never learn that talent is greater than your manager

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
And anyone feeling sorry for Monty, I'm like 100% certain he will have another NBA head coaching job probably before the NBA draft.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And anyone feeling sorry for Monty, I'm like 100% certain he will have another NBA head coaching probably before the NBA draft.

If Monty wants another head coaching job right away. There is no rush because he is getting paid.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
We shall see. Kyler was a little ******* and the moment the coach was out he is suddenly engaged and Captain Az

Bad bosses never learn that talent is greater than your manager
I totally agree that Monty’s piss poor interpersonal skills was the main reason that Ayton floundered in Phoenix. But, I think the marriage between Ayton and the Suns is irreconcilable. The majority of fans want him gone and Ayton would rather go elsewhere

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally agree that Monty’s piss poor interpersonal skills was the main reason that Ayton floundered in Phoenix. But, I think the marriage between Ayton and the Suns is irreconcilable. The majority of fans want him gone and Ayton would rather go elsewhere

New ownership mends all fences.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Lost 4 straight against the Bucks
Epic collapse against the Mavs
Embarrassing loss against the Nuggets

It’s not that we lost it’s the way we lost. He clearly lost the team. It was time and honestly he probably should of been gone after what happened last year

1 Ty Lue
2 Nick Nurse

In that order
How? Trade KD for one of them?

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Hopefully JJ is next. Not a fan of Monty being fired without JJ. Clean the whole house rather than one room.

Jones gave him the talent and he ignored FO & his own assistants cries about ususage. There were internal fights about it. Winning is fine but you have to build for the future too regardless of the pick you cosigned on too. Monty defied orders because of ego, arrogance and he couldn't coach players who need coaching. Everybody has a boss.

Jones may be safe or be moved laterally.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. We fans are fickle and prisoners of the moment. All he has to do is come out and play like he did in his first few playoff series and he'll win most of us back.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
meltdown? The 4 seed lost to the 1 seed in 6 games. Which coach would’ve done significantly better?

Lmao oh idk maybe blowing a 2-0 lead and losing 4 straight to the Bucks

Being the 1 seed blowing a 2-0 lead and being down almost 50 against the Mavs

Being down 30 at halftime this year.

I count 3 embarrassing meltdowns in 3 years.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Jones gave him the talent and he ignored FO & his own assistants cries about ususage. There were internal fights about it. Winning is fine but you have to build for the future too regardless of the pick you cosigned on too. Monty defied orders because of ego, arrogance and he couldn't coach players who need coaching. Everybody has a boss.

Jones may be safe or be moved laterally.
Jones forgot that CP3 misses a lot of games and didn't plan accordingly.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I disagree. We fans are fickle and prisoners of the moment. All he has to do is come out and play like he did in his first few playoff series and he'll win most of them back.
Maybe. I just think that Ayton needs a reboot elsewhere.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. We fans are fickle and prisoners of the moment. All he has to do is come out and play like he did in his first few playoff series and he'll win most of us back.

Even I'm asking what a new head coach could do with Ayton. It's something to think twice about.