The Worth of Kyler Murray

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
The way Murray played last year I wouldn’t give a third rounder for him. If he plays this year like he did last year we might have to pay someone to take over his ridiculous contract.
i dont think you could get half of a Vienetta for him after his injury and the performance on the field

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Is not about being undersized athlete but toughness and mentality
Other undersized qb's proven already they can be successful
Breees and Wilson
Both played with much more talent around them and a competent NFL SuperBowl winning coach. We’ll see what Kyler does with a coach that has NFL experience

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't envision any world in which Murray does so little or plays so poorly in 2023 that the Cardinals are willing to eat a monstrous cap hit to get rid of him... Yet another team is willing not only to take on his contact calling for $32-$52M in annual salary and roster bonuses, but give up draft assets to the Cardinals for the privilege.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I can't envision any world in which Murray does so little or plays so poorly in 2023 that the Cardinals are willing to eat a monstrous cap hit to get rid of him... Yet another team is willing not only to take on his contact calling for $32-$52M in annual salary and roster bonuses, but give up draft assets to the Cardinals for the privilege.
The most practical move is to move him post June 1 cut in 2025. Then he could be affordable.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Right - but this doesn't fit well with the possibility of drafting a QB in 2024... unless the Cardinals are willing to pay Murray to sit at home for a year while the rookie plays!

It just happens that 2024 is the best year we have a chance at a top pick and a couple really good QB's to choose from. Kyler may sit or play some to improve his trade standing/value.

Or we take the heavy hit in 2024.

We really won't know what Kyler's got until after the 2024 season, so what happens if he is just pretty okay or gets another injury, or has another collapse? We're screwed.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Right - but this doesn't fit well with the possibility of drafting a QB in 2024... unless the Cardinals are willing to pay Murray to sit at home for a year while the rookie plays!
More likely the work the new guy in gradually. I would be happy if Murray played lights out and they drafted 2 impact players with those picks.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler has WAY more value than a 2nd round pick. All of the dead cap money is tied to the Cards, not the team that trades for him.

volcardinal

Reaction score
If the cards end up with the # 1 pick in 24 you take Caleb Williams, if he would of been in this years draft he would of been the first pick. He is that good. Think about it why are they not signing any high price FA's. There going to cut KM or trade him in 24,
they will take a huge cap hit. This team is being built for 25.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
More likely the work the new guy in gradually. I would be happy if Murray played lights out and they drafted 2 impact players with those picks.
fools gold does have a bit of glitter

we will draft two impact players regardless of Murray

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler has WAY more value than a 2nd round pick. All of the dead cap money is tied to the Cards, not the team that trades for him.
Even with the Cardinals eating the remainder of Murray's pro-rated signing bonus, a team trading for him would still be on the hook for salaries of $37M, $18M, $23M, $19.5M, and $34M in 2024-2028, PLUS bonuses of $850K per game ($14.5M per year if he actually plays 17 games) for the rest of his career. A total of over $40M in his first year with the new team and an average of over $40M per year for the duration of the contract.

That's no longer top 10 QB money, but if he's playing badly enough for the Cardinals to jettison him and take the massive cap hit, it's hard to imagine another team trading much for him, knowing they'll have to pay him that much.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
If i had to set a value on him right now...

A first and a second.

Once he shows he is fully healed and he can run an nfl offense that value jumps way up.
I tend to agree, people treat him like a safety or something lol. Dallas might pay 2 1's for him. It just depends on the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA