The Ayton Plan

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's big. I wish his play tonight were better but he finally said the right thing and didn't make any lame excuses. Some personal accountability goes a long way. I still want him traded because I'm tired of the roller coaster ride of following him has been but I hope he continues to grow as a man.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
From all us University of Arizona fans. Ayton was a one and done and is not like Kerr or Elliott, not even close. No UA fan is drinking Koolaid.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Those 3 offensive boards, to open the game, that was phenomenal. The crowd went ape for it. You could tell how much Ayton appreciated the response too.

This was a trademark Ayton "underrated" game. He didn't score much, but we basically never gave him the ball, he battled underneath, he spent almost the entire game defending smaller faster guys (Joker went for 50 but Denver ran screens to get Ayton off him all game).

He was great.

I still think Ayton gets moved in the off season... but he had a really good game tonight.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
DA's main problem is the short span of attention. He tends to watch on as bystander if a play sequence is ended and the associated tension. When he can improve on that and constantly do the hussle he showed in the closing minutes of the game, then he will be mature. For his own development, a scenery change would help, as with KD/Book here his work assignment won't be more than a blue coller worker. For Suns sake, hope he keeps it up.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
What the Suns need most from Ayton is defense, particularly establishing position for rebounds, blocking out and protecting the rim without fouling.

Better positioning alone on offense and defense it would be a tremendous help for his game.

He should be able to average 15 points a game even without plays being run for him.
DA does not block out he stands and watches, the ball literally has to rebound to him to get it. He wont go and get it. Even after last night, he is damaged. he is alligator arming his little 5 ft push shot so its short, and he has the yips at the FT line as he had a couple of brutal misses

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DA does not block out he stands and watches, the ball literally has to rebound to him to get it. He wont go and get it. Even after last night, he is damaged. he is alligator arming his little 5 ft push shot so its short, and he has the yips at the FT line as he had a couple of brutal misses
That 5 foot shot off the front of the rim makes me crazy......

Reaction score
I am for this if we are still able to make more moves to get a Center and/or PF per my comments. You may have missed that part. Also, I have no irrational hatred of Ayton. I don't hate Ayton. I think he has been a disappointment that has not lived up to his draft position or raw talent. That is not irrational at all.

P.S. This doesn't mean it would be my first choice. I mean if we could get our hands on VanVleet and a PF in a package deal or something I would prefer it. However, to get out from under Ayton's contract, we are likely going to have to take on a risk or another combination of large contracts or an equally large one to match Ayton's. The fact that this is even coming from somewhere in the organization likely means the Suns have reached the point they are willing to entertain the idea of moving Ayton. Not that it actually happens. Unless Ayton completely turns around his play? Ayton's days might be numbered in a Suns uniform.
Absolutely right on Irving being a cancer. Just. Say. No.

Reaction score
Last night we saw the "good Ayton" and the "bad Ayton." Early on, he had three consecutive offensive rebounds and a put-back; later he dove on the floor for a ball, first time ever I've seen that. He had some nice pick and roll plays.

But later, the "bad Ayton" showed up when again he was flat footed just watching rather than moving, standing literally off the court.

I'm sure the Suns medical has checked this out, but he almost looks like he has anemia at times, that he has real energy then just runs out---very quickly.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
From all us University of Arizona fans. Ayton was a one and done and is not like Kerr or Elliott, not even close. No UA fan is drinking Koolaid.

Bingo. I like Ayton and am glad he attended UofA, but let’s not pretend that UofA fans are taking a bullet for him.

There’s only one former UofA player that I Stan for, and he happens to be the best player in NBA history.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
DA is the perfect example of a #1 or 2 on a bad squad. He will be the reason we don't win titles if he sticks around.

Orlando for Wendell Carter
Sign & Trade for Kyrie
We have to get value back or it wont work.

But he needs to go

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
DA is the perfect example of a #1 or 2 on a bad squad. He will be the reason we don't win titles if he sticks around.

Orlando for Wendell Carter
Sign & Trade for Kyrie
We have to get value back or it wont work.

But he needs to go
You don't replace a basket case with a shorter antisemitic basket case - and consider it problem solved - not to mention Kyrie's unrestricted free agentness

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't replace a basket case with a shorter antisemitic basket case - and consider it problem solved - not to mention Kyrie's unrestricted free agentness
I'd take DA as a human being over Kyrie every day of the week but as a basketball player, the reverse is true. I really hope there's a better move to be made but from a court value perspective, it's a big step up.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'd take DA as a human being over Kyrie every day of the week but as a basketball player, the reverse is true. I really hope there's a better move to be made but from a court value perspective, it's a big step up.
My problems with this is not Kyrie's talent, but the hit our culture will take. The Suns successes have been about bringing in the right guys to fit the culture. This would be a big step back. Also, we have a blueprint with KD, Kyrie, and Harden and that didn't work. Some guys are stat padders and not game winners. I am starting to wonder if that's not the case with Kyrie. I think we need more motor type players, over guys that just get by on talent alone. Booker is taking it up another notch with the insane effort he is giving on both sides of the court. DA is being roasted by many because we see how good he can be when he brings effort, but also how non impact he can be when he just glides through games. We need guys that bring it the whole game. Games the Suns lose are typically to teams that have a lot of these guys and they outwork, outrun, and outhustle us.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My problems with this is not Kyrie's talent, but the hit our culture will take. The Suns successes have been about bringing in the right guys to fit the culture. This would be a big step back. Also, we have a blueprint with KD, Kyrie, and Harden and that didn't work. Some guys are stat padders and not game winners. I am starting to wonder if that's not the case with Kyrie. I think we need more motor type players, over guys that just get by on talent alone. Booker is taking it up another notch with the insane effort he is giving on both sides of the court. DA is being roasted by many because we see how good he can be when he brings effort, but also how non impact he can be when he just glides through games. We need guys that bring it the whole game. Games the Suns lose are typically to teams that have a lot of these guys and they outwork, outrun, and outhustle us.
I don't think he's a stat padder at all but he can be a locker room cancer which is even worse. There's always the chance that won't happen with Durant playing next to him but it's not an ideal solution. I'm just not sure we can find an ideal solution to the Ayton situation.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I don't think he's a stat padder at all but he can be a locker room cancer which is even worse. There's always the chance that won't happen with Durant playing next to him but it's not an ideal solution. I'm just not sure we can find an ideal solution to the Ayton situation.
Oh, I agree with you on that! I don't think there is an ideal situation.

I was worried about the "we can't let him walk for nothing" scenario. Sometimes that CAN be the best thing. Quit digging a hole. I also didn't like how Sarver handled the whole thing. If you don't believe in the guy, then move him. These "prove it" scenarios rarely work. Sarver was essentially telling Ayton, if you want big money then prove it. Then he caved and gave Ayton big money anyway without Ayton having to prove it. So what does that teach Ayton? That teaches Ayton his size and skill set can get him big money, no effort required. I don't think the NBA community looks at Ayton as highly as Ayton thinks he is.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'm officially done with DA. He's never going to do anything because he's delusional and doesn't have the heart. That 2021 run was in the playoffs was obviously a mirage.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm officially done with DA. He's never going to do anything because he's delusional and doesn't have the heart.

I still think it's an ability issue more than a desire issue. He looks aimless because he's in over his head.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I still think it's an ability issue more than a desire issue.
It's certainly not a physical ability problem - he's a superior athlete. Head isn't right.
He looks aimless because he's in over his head.
He's also delusional. He thinks he's doing what he's supposed to be doing - how do fix someone who can't even recognize the problem?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Am I the only one that questions DA having the same big man coach and failing to improve? Actually regressing, arguably. Why no move there, if just to shake things up?

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I'm half expecting some sort of injury report coming out on Ayton today resulting in a questionable status for Game 6 where DeAndre either doesn't play or blames said injury if he does play - guessing it would be a rib thing

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm half expecting some sort of injury report coming out on Ayton today resulting in a questionable status for Game 6 where DeAndre either doesn't play or blames said injury if he does play - guessing it would be a rib thing
Yeah I think there's a good chance the bruised ribs will keep him out for the next game. Or were you suggesting we'd bench him and use the injury to protect what little value he has or so he can save face?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's certainly not a physical ability problem - he's a superior athlete. Head isn't right.

He's also delusional. He thinks he's doing what he's supposed to be doing - how do fix someone who can't even recognize the problem?
What do you mean? He is DominAYTON. I wonder if we all just misunderstood him and it was play on words for his usage of chains and whips?!?!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave