Peter King: Arizona Owns 2024

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Herein lies my (small) frustration with the Paris pick. He’s not in those guys class but we spent a top 6 pick on him. If he turns out to be hump we will be “fine,” but I’d rather be better than “fine” with a top 6 pick. “Fine” is great for a 20+ pick (like hump was.
Who did you want at 6?

Tyree Wilson (DE)
Bijan (RB)
Carter (DT)
Darnell Wright (OT)
Peter Skoronski (OT)
Gibbs (RB)
Van Ness (DE)

These were the next 7 players taken and all of them are either worse than Paris or play runningback. Was there anyone available at 6 that you would consider worthy of a top 6 pick?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Who did you want at 6?

Tyree Wilson (DE)
Bijan (RB)
Carter (DT)
Darnell Wright (OT)
Peter Skoronski (OT)
Gibbs (RB)
Van Ness (DE)

These were the next 7 players taken and all of them are either worse than Paris or play runningback. Was there anyone available at 6 that you would consider worthy of a top 6 pick?
I might have rolled the dice on Carter. I’m just if they mindset that top 6-ish picks should be rare. You should be hoping for a homerun there. Like we landed Patrick Peterson at 5. And he didn’t drop. That was appropriate talent at that slot. Maybe this draft just didn’t have top end talent available. I’m not saying Paris went at the wrong time or that I’m disappointed that we went oline. Just that it’s disappointing when you have the rare opportunity to draft in top 6 you walk away with maybe top 15-20 talent.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Herein lies my (small) frustration with the Paris pick. He’s not in those guys class but we spent a top 6 pick on him. If he turns out to be hump we will be “fine,” but I’d rather be better than “fine” with a top 6 pick. “Fine” is great for a 20+ pick (like hump was.
I think his ceiling is higher than Hump's ceiling ever was. Humphries was a fringe 1st round pick.

Joe Alt looks like a perennial All Pro though. He is massive (bigger than Paris) and plays at a school that produces outstanding OL (Notre Dame). But you know what? He could have a career ending injury tomorrow, so you can't really plan for next year's draft class.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I might have rolled the dice on Carter. I’m just if they mindset that top 6-ish picks should be rare. You should be hoping for a homerun there. Like we landed Patrick Peterson at 5. And he didn’t drop. That was appropriate talent at that slot. Maybe this draft just didn’t have top end talent available. I’m not saying Paris went at the wrong time or that I’m disappointed that we went oline. Just that it’s disappointing when you have the rare opportunity to draft in top 6 you walk away with maybe top 15-20 talent.
I heard probably 5-6 talent evaluators say that this was a relatively weak class. I've heard that most teams only had 15 first round grades, and there are some classes that have 40 first round grades.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who did you want at 6?

Tyree Wilson (DE)
Bijan (RB)
Carter (DT)
Darnell Wright (OT)
Peter Skoronski (OT)
Gibbs (RB)
Van Ness (DE)

Happy with Paris. Ojulari is a better Edge than any OT available in round 2 so I think they did it the right way around.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think his ceiling is higher than Hump's ceiling ever was. Humphries was a fringe 1st round pick.

Joe Alt looks like a perennial All Pro though. He is massive (bigger than Paris) and plays at a school that produces outstanding OL (Notre Dame). But you know what? He could have a career ending injury tomorrow, so you can't really plan for next year's draft class.
But I think Hump hit his ceiling or got 80%+ of the way there. PJJ’s ceiling is Hump or Laremy Tunsil.

There’s not much to suggest that PJJ has Joe Thomas ability which I think you’d hope the ceiling would be with the #6 pick in an average draft.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agree in my opinion Will Anderson Jr was the best player in this draft and is exactly what ARZ needed on the defense. If he was gone then I would have been okay with ARZ trading down and taking any player left on their board adding to their draft pick total this and next year. They basically traded Will Anderson Jr for a lottery ticket in next year's draft. I believe in the saying a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush because its hard to project out where the chips will fall in the draft. What if HOU pick ends up in teens? What if one of the top guys either has a bad year or sustains a major injury late in the year? Hell even with Anderson, ARZ still may have ended up with #1 overall pick next year.

I believe ARZ wants Williams next year and is hoping either theirs or HOU pick is #1 in order to get him. Keim & Kliff are gone so Murray is no one's pick and I think Bidwill wants out of Murray deal. Dan Orlovsky gushed about Caleb Williams on SC the other day saying that he is so creative that no play is a busted play for him. If ARZ has #1 next year I don't see them trading down like McShay's mock has them doing next year. I know Murray's cap hit if traded is huge but ARZ hasn't been active in free agency the last couple of years so what's another year especially when they have a boat load of draft picks in 2024 and you can get more in a Murray trade. Plus there are cuts that can be made from roster next year to free up cap space if needed.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No QB LESS THAN 6’2 please
I was curious about this number and just looked up the height of every QB to make a SB since 1980 and only 5 were under 6'2".

Russell Wilson 5'11
Drew Brees 6'0
Joe Theismann 6'0"
Jim McMahon 6'1"
Jalen Hurts 6'1"

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
But I think Hump hit his ceiling or got 80%+ of the way there. PJJ’s ceiling is Hump or Laremy Tunsil.

There’s not much to suggest that PJJ has Joe Thomas ability which I think you’d hope the ceiling would be with the #6 pick in an average draft.
Joe Thomas is a once in a decade type player though. You could draft 20 offensive tackles and none would be as good.

Paris is pretty raw technique wise, so he has some good growth potential. I also don't think he's nearly his physical peak either.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Joe Thomas is a once in a decade type player though. You could draft 20 offensive tackles and none would be as good.

Paris is pretty raw technique wise, so he has some good growth potential. I also don't think he's nearly his physical peak either.
Okay but that doesn’t change the likely reality that you didn’t get much better in the short or long term than where we are today.

Reminder: where we are today is a 4-12 football team.

In fact, we’re probably worse.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Okay but that doesn’t change the likely reality that you didn’t get much better in the short or long term than where we are today.
I think that Paris is a foundational player that will matter more two years from now than he will next season.
Reminder: where we are today is a 4-12 football team.

In fact, we’re probably worse.
The Cardinals were 4-12 because they had a statistically significant number of injuries. If this team doesn't get as beat as last years team, they are probably better even if by better, they are 6-11 or 7-10.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
You can only draft from the players available.
As far as value we were probably best off at 12.... but its mikes money

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
I agree it’s not bad, it’s just subject to a lot of question marks.

Nuk has shown himself to be less reliable with injuries and a suspension. And now age is peeking in.

Rondale - injuries

Ertz - coming off injury at advanced age

McBride - still unproven

Wilson - rookie and health

Really only leaves hollywood and dortch as completely dependable guys. If all works out with availability the offense should be pretty good (when kyler retirns, hopefully improved). But the downside is ugly. And while every team has a downside of injury and age, ours is a lot closer than most methinks.
If i could take a punter in FFL - it would be the Cards punter

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Not only do the Cardinals, clearly, have no interest in winning, they've assembled one of the least talented rosters in recent memory.

If we're 1-7 or 0-8 come mid season, Kyler won't see the field and we will cruuuuuuise to the #1 pick.
nailed it.... this years FA crop backs this statement 100% Hop and Budda will be moved for draft cap by trade deadline.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Completely agree.

People are ignoring that he has Steichen that worked with Hurts. They have a scheme that favors mobile QB's and Richardson is a 244lb man that runs 4.44.

His accuracy issues are all lower body related, mainly footwork. It's one of the easier aspects to fix and he's already been working on it.

I don't expect him to be awesome this year. His learning curve may well be a lot like Jalen hurts. A season and a half of being a mediocre passer but compensates with his legs before finally clicking.

And he's still only 20 years old.

I think has the best shot of being the best QB in the draft.
I am tanking a flyer on him at the end of the draft as we have a keeper (1 player) FFL that slots where they were originally drafted, i should have kept Hurts as my 20th rd draft pick last year as i picked him up as a FA, but i have Chubb as my 9th rd pick for the last few years and RB is a priority

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score

they need to go ahead and move Hump to RT now
I’m hoping you are right on hop and baker.
I think the Cards are kicking the can to next year hoping the talent pool is better than this year. Plus load up on cheap (draft) players while they eat the cap hit for a trade of Kyler.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am tanking a flyer on him at the end of the draft as we have a keeper (1 player) FFL that slots where they were originally drafted, i should have kept Hurts as my 20th rd draft pick last year as i picked him up as a FA, but i have Chubb as my 9th rd pick for the last few years and RB is a priority

Not even a flyer. I don't think you take a QB at #4 and start Gardner Minshew. Worse case with Richardson he's going to have 700 yards rushing and maybe 10 rushing TD's. I wouldn't like to have Jonathan Taylor this year.

A 244lb 4.45 QB is a no brainer red zone threat.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
the fact that it's a possibility for us to get Caleb William or Maye as insurance in case Kyler stinks is impressive for 2024. Oh and another 1st round pick from a rebuilding team in a very strong draft.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
the fact that it's a possibility for us to get Caleb William or Maye as insurance in case Kyler stinks is impressive for 2024. Oh and another 1st round pick from a rebuilding team in a very strong draft.
It won’t be his performance determining his fait with the Cardinals but this simple factor, can he grow through coaching.

I think the coaches have already decided.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm the Cardinals, I double down on landing extra picks and trade out of one of those early firsts next year. Moving down in the 1st again and snagging a couple more future firsts / day 2 picks would go a long way to setting this team up in the future. I could live with multiple first and second rounders for the next 3 drafts.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If I'm the Cardinals, I double down on landing extra picks and trade out of one of those early firsts next year. Moving down in the 1st again and snagging a couple more future firsts / day 2 picks would go a long way to setting this team up in the future. I could live with multiple first and second rounders for the next 3 drafts.
Next year needs to be about the now, not the future. I'm not looking for a 3-5 year plan to get good. If we aren't planning to compete in 2024, what the heck are we doing?