10 thoughts - draft

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the explanation that I heard from one pundit about the Cardinals scouting staff makes a lot of sense: Ossenfort is surrounded by Keim guys, so he didn't trust them in FA or the draft, so he didn't spend long term money and just took really toolsy type players in the draft.
This is an interesting theory.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is an interesting theory.
It's a theory that actually makes a lot of sense.

It's likely that Keim wasn't the only problem in the personnel department. All of his scouts were trained to think like him and value players like him. Imagine if you took the job, would you fully trust his guys giving you information? I wouldn't.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is undoubtedly the most intriguing storyline of the season. If Kyler skips half the season and looks bad when he returns, there will be plenty of full throated calls to replace him. Neglecting the D as a whole seemingly signals to the players that they don't intend on competing this year. Vegas odds make that even more clear.

Navigating the Kyler situation, good or bad will be the most important thing for Monti/Gannon to figure out.
I agree, AC. I almost included it in the original column, because I think a potentially very interesting aspect about this draft is if it will make Murray force his return? He surely understand the situation, and as you say, the clock might be ticking for him in terms of staying as the franchise QB, so maybe he wants to hurry back to get as many chances as possible to convince the coaches. Conversely, will the coaches play him more than necessary (record-wise), so that they will push him back on the field even if he is, for example, 95% ready, and the team is 2-6?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I also like the combination of Ojulari and Gaines more than other possibilities, but I do think that both Avila and Stromberg were really good options. I don't know if I have bigger hopes for those two than many others on this board. It seems a little that way, but I just think that both will be strong contributors already in year one, and could play a big role for many years. I really like those two picks.

Yes, I agree, it can. However, it is important, and it can be the difference between good or bad things happening.

Also, if Aaron Francisco was just a little bit longer, or had the legs to take just a little step more, then the Cardinals would have a ring. ;)

Yes, that is also my interpretation.
I think if Money Mike was an inch taller we might have e ring. Congrats of getting married, 35 years for me in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think if Money Mike was an inch taller we might have e ring. Comigrates of getting married, 35 years for me in a couple of weeks.
Thank you, WC! I can only be impressed, and hope that we will stay married for that long.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
We'll have to see. I mean if Wilson goes off and plays well in 12 of 12 games instead of 6 of 12 then we might have a conversation. The draft is judged over a period of years, 2nd contracts.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I swear if we need one more 6 ft. Center who I nicknamed Mr Clean for his bald head, over achieving nature I'm going to scream.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave