What a Hard Draft to Evaluate

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is impossible. The center class sucked. They are less valuable than most other positions and you don’t really need a good one. LOL

Well, if Tyler Henry of GiantsWire says so it must be true...

This is pure posted draft beat writer homerism where every draft pick the team made was "a steal".

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Maybe. You stay at 12 and it changes the entire draft. Maybe the Falcons get a trade down offer since they know they can get Robinson a few picks later and then both Johnson and Gonzalez are gone.

So imagine a world where Witherspoon, Gonzalez, Johnson, and Skoronski are all gone. Just to save a 2nd round pick. Big nope.
Big nope for you. Very possible and highly likely for me. Imagine Gonzalez, Ojulari, and Schmitz. Would've been nice.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Well, if Tyler Henry of GiantsWire says so it must be true...

This is pure posted draft beat writer homerism where every draft pick the team made was "a steal".
Yeah I didn't see anyone mocking JMS in the first. If anything, he was actually falling once people started looking at other centers.

JMS is a good prospect, but a team would be insane to draft an older center who didn't test through the roof in the 1st round.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't see anyone mocking JMS in the first. If anything, he was actually falling once people started looking at other centers.

JMS is a good prospect, but a team would be insane to draft an older center who didn't test through the roof in the 1st round.
my vote is excellent center pool; best in years.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
my vote is excellent center pool; best in years.

It was so good all teams thought is was worth of the 1st center coming off the board at the 2nd lowest draft position in the last 10 years.

The top end was awful. It was deep for slightly above average guys.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It was so good all teams thought is was worth of the 1st center coming off the board at the 2nd lowest draft position in the last 10 years.

The top end was awful. It was deep for slightly above average guys.
One thing I've observed all fans do in regards to the draft is that they tend to marry specific players to specific team needs with no regard to the historical value of a player.

For instance, Anderson is a good player but most serious scouts said he is not in the Bosa or Garrett class. But then you have fans say that if the Cardinals don't get Anderson, the draft is a bust.

That thinking is highly flawed if you consider the historical perspective. You have to extract value from the draft, and taking a B+ center isn't equal to taking a B+ pass rusher.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing I've observed all fans do in regards to the draft is that they tend to marry specific players to specific team needs with no regard to the historical value of a player.

For instance, Anderson is a good player but most serious scouts said he is not in the Bosa or Garrett class. But then you have fans say that if the Cardinals don't get Anderson, the draft is a bust.

That thinking is highly flawed if you consider the historical perspective. You have to extract value from the draft, and taking a B+ center isn't equal to taking a B+ pass rusher.

This is the source of all draft disenchantment. All fans get it in their heads that they must draft X, Y and Z positions but teams don't work that way.

We also get stuck on certain players. I was a big DTR fan so when we drafted Tune with DTR still on the board I was baffled. But I'd never watched Tune, and having now done so and I learned more about him I can see why the Cards went that direction.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The one I clearly explained where he's good against the run for his size and the expectation levels of a 250lb OLB.

Nobody is expected a 250lb to throw off a 310lb tackle for a TFL. They are expected to stand up the tackle and keep contain so the RB can't get to the outside and the linebacker can fulfil his gap assignment, and Ojulari does that frequently on tape.
So can he hold the edge or not? Good for his size doesn’t answer the question. You stated all over his tape it indicated he could.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is the source of all draft disenchantment. All fans get it in their heads that they must draft X, Y and Z positions but teams don't work that way.

We also get stuck on certain players. I was a big DTR fan so when we drafted Tune with DTR still on the board I was baffled. But I'd never watched Tune, and having now done so and I learned more about him I can see why the Cards went that direction.
The more I watched of Tune and the more I watched of DTR, the more I think Tune is way better. DTR is athletic, sure, but Tune is very close as an athlete and he throws the ball better. DTR threw some bafflingly bad interceptions last year in a few of the games I watched, especially considering how many starts he had.

One thing fans don't take into consideration is that teams actually meet these players. They have extensive meets with these players and they get to know them as people. Fans also don't consider fits as much either. I think it was Jeremiah who said Garrett Williams acts the zones like Gannon likes better than any corner in the draft.

Stout

Reaction score
I respect Harry deeply, but he has been wrong in the past as well. No one is right even 50% of the time.
Sure. Thing is, all over the place, this center class is being touted. The NFL insider here agrees. But we have a handful of posters here that say it's trash.

I get you and others have the opinion that you didn't like any of the centers. Cool. Agree to disagree. You and others are running around pretending it's known fact, however. Now, I can't say for certain whether any of those centers drafted last week will be good. It's my opinion only. What I can say is that the pundits and draft experts are reporting it to be a good draft class, while a few ASFN posters are reporting otherwise. So...yeah.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So can he hold the edge or not? Good for his size doesn’t answer the question. You stated all over his tape it indicated he could.

Did I not just say "They are expected to stand up the tackle and keep contain so the RB can't get to the outside and the linebacker can fulfil his gap assignment, and Ojulari does that frequently on tape."

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I guess you mean that taking a RB at #3 is a SUPER REACH. And with that I'll agree.
No, at 6..Anderson at 3 only. I would have stayed at 12 but that doesn't matter. I would have taken Anderson at 3 only if available; which he was.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure that Anderson will be a VG NFL player. But since we need so many new players, he was a luxury that Monti figured the team couldn't afford. We'll see how it turns out.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sure. Thing is, all over the place, this center class is being touted. The NFL insider here agrees. But we have a handful of posters here that say it's trash.
Strawman. No one has said it is trash.
I get you and others have the opinion that you didn't like any of the centers.
No one has said they didn't like any of the centers, just that the value was inflated by fans who think the Cardinals must draft a guy.

Cool. Agree to disagree. You and others are running around pretending it's known fact, however. Now, I can't say for certain whether any of those centers drafted last week will be good. It's my opinion only. What I can say is that the pundits and draft experts are reporting it to be a good draft class, while a few ASFN posters are reporting otherwise. So...yeah.
Man you really misrepresent arguments. What has been said is that there is center depth, but none of these guys are top center prospects. There is no Tyler Lindbaum. There is no Garrett Bradbury. Just a bunch of decent players in what is considered a real weak draft overall.

Stout

Reaction score
I'm sure that Anderson will be a VG NFL player. But since we need so many new players, he was a luxury that Monti figured the team couldn't afford. We'll see how it turns out.
Not this idea of "luxury" players again. I don't know why some segments of this board are allergic to blue-chip players.

Stout

Reaction score
Strawman. No one has said it is trash.

No one has said they didn't like any of the centers, just that the value was inflated by fans who think the Cardinals must draft a guy.

Man you really misrepresent arguments. What has been said is that there is center depth, but none of these guys are top center prospects. There is no Tyler Lindbaum. There is no Garrett Bradbury. Just a bunch of decent players in what is considered a real weak draft overall.
Dude, you are not paying attention. Several posters have called it trash. I believe that is a direct quote in another thread this very day.

Edit: And, again, you try to gaslight when someone's not agreeing with you. I'm not straw manning jack. Read the board. You really, *really* need to knock of the smarmy "you're just not understanding what I'm writing" type of nonsense. It's coming across very poorly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave