What we are in for….

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Money talks.

1. Overpaying is dumb. Why overpay guys this year when you can go into next year with a healthy QB, great draft stock, plenty of FA cash and sign guys on fair deals?

2. Having a bunch of overpaid guys that are only playing for you because of the money is a great way to suck.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Never spend 100 million in cap space on FA alone. A recipe for disaster. This isn't Madden.

They don't have too. They can roll $30m into the year after and have 2 good rounds in FA.

Also $100m isn't that much now. $100m next year is like $67m in 2017.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
1. Overpaying is dumb. Why overpay guys this year when you can go into next year with a healthy QB, great draft stock, plenty of FA cash and sign guys on fair deals?

2. Having a bunch of overpaid guys that are only playing for you because of the money is a great way to suck.
You say overpaying; I simply meant spending.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You say overpaying; I simply meant spending.

How does that counter my point is my original reply?

Why would some young, talented, multi year contract worthy player sign for the team with the crooked QB and new GM that is likely going to spend a year turning it around over all the other teams that would be interested in them because they are good, young players?

Stout

Reaction score
How does that counter my point is my original reply?

Why would some young, talented, multi year contract worthy player sign for the team with the crooked QB and new GM that is likely going to spend a year turning it around over all the other teams that would be interested in them because they are good, young players?
Players do it all the time. How about "Hey, talented young guy, I know we're only offering the same total contract as the Bungles, but we have the cap space to give you half of it in fully guaranteed, up front bonus money, and the Bungles are only willing to do that with a quarter. Would you like more direct cash up front?"

You're trying to talk in absolutes again, and it isn't working ;)

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How much patience does MB show this is going to be a bad football team, what i want to see is does team get better from the 1st game till the last game.I always thought that was a good sign of coaching.
Yep. This is ALL I want to see. We all know KK’s abysmal 2nd half record of EVERY season he ever coached. Don Coryell’s first season was 1973. We went 4-9-1 & with the exception of a few games, we were a bad football team. But, we were far more competitive as the season progressed. With a similar nucleus, the next 3 seasons, we went 10-4, 11-3, and 10-4. Gannon may not be a messiah, but he’s not KK either. Steady progress is what I want to see.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Players do it all the time. How about "Hey, talented young guy, I know we're only offering the same total contract as the Bungles, but we have the cap space to give you half of it in fully guaranteed, up front bonus money, and the Bungles are only willing to do that with a quarter. Would you like more direct cash up front?"

You're trying to talk in absolutes again, and it isn't working ;)

No, I'm talking in probabilities.

You know the Cards are one of the tightest cash teams in the league so the odds of them winning on cash terms are slim. But even if they could I still think most players with multiple options would choose the better team and highest chance to win over how guaranteed cash is distributed.

Is there a particular young, talented player(s) you would have liked to sign to a multi year deal?

Stout

Reaction score
No, I'm talking in probabilities.

You know the Cards are one of the tightest cash teams in the league so the odds of them winning on cash terms are slim. But even if they could I still think most players with multiple options would choose the better team and highest chance to win over how guaranteed cash is distributed.

Is there a particular young, talented player(s) you would have liked to sign to a multi year deal?
I'm going to reject this premise because I'm not excusing the FO in FA because the Cards are a cheap organization. Also, how does this fit with you 100 million FA spending spree next year?

No, I'm not talking about specific players. It simply would have been nice to see--and certainly possible--some talent brought in for the long-term in FA. Claims that this is impossible to do for the Cards will fall on deaf ears, as claiming only 1-year deals were smart or possible is quite ludicrous.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Claims that this is impossible to do for the Cards will fall on deaf ears, as claiming only 1-year deals were smart or possible is quite ludicrous.

Nobody said it was impossible. It would be possible if we overpaid.

But on a level playing field it's extremely unlikely, and that's evidenced by how other teams have behaved in similar circumstances.

I just don't see how it's reasonable to expect the Cards in their current situation to compete with almost any other team in the league on FA signings without overpaying what anyone else is willing to pay. And I think even then many good players would take 10% less to go elsewhere.

Stout

Reaction score
Nobody said it was impossible. It would be possible if we overpaid.

But on a level playing field it's extremely unlikely, and that's evidenced by how other teams have behaved in similar circumstances.

I just don't see how it's reasonable to expect the Cards in their current situation to compete with almost any other team in the league on FA signings without overpaying what anyone else is willing to pay. And I think even then many good players would take 10% less to go elsewhere.
#1: We're on a level playing field, as we're just as full-fledged an NFL team as any other.
#2: "Nobody said it was possible" followed by "It's only possible in the way I say it is."
#3: Just because you have low expectations of the Cards and don't think it's reasonable doesn't mean you're right. It's your opinion and you seek to invalidate anyone in any way, shape, or form for criticizing the Cards for not signing long-term FAs.
#4: LOL at the "Take 10% less to play elsewhere." That statement shows you don't understand--or want to understand--how the NFL or FA usually work.

Sorry, @BritCard. There were other ways of conducting FA without it being disastrous. There wasn't literally only one smart way to go after FA.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

This philosophy, which you keep espousing, assumes every free agent class is exactly identical. Same talent, same positions, same alignment with team needs, same ages, same potential synergy with the organization. It’s a fallacy to believe you should sit out one year of free agency because you can make it up in the next. Each free agency period offers unique opportunities. Punting on one is stupid.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
...suckitude far beyond the suckitude we witnessed last season, and the year before that and the decades before that (with a few exceptions here and there).

Other than that...LET'S GO!!!!!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Imagine if Gannon is a guru, Kyler comes back early and we win 7 games. That blows our whole two top 10 picks.
Yeah it does, but they have picks to maneuver.

Even if you miss on Harrison Jr, his teammate Egbuka is a total stud as well and probably is a #1 receiver as well in the NFL.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Imagine if Gannon is a guru, Kyler comes back early and we win 7 games. That blows our whole two top 10 picks.
Not sure Gannon is a Guru, but Kyler will come back earlier than thought, and it’s possible we win 7. Yes, Kingsbury was THAT bad.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Many of you can say today you embrace the rebuild…and so do I. But come back here in November when/if we are 1-8 or 2-7.

We will all tire of Gannons post game and weekly rah rah stuff. We won’t be embracing him and just saying “That’s alright JG it’s a rebuilding year”.
Remember Kingsbury and how sick we got of “ You have to give them credit” crap.

Losing consistently will bring the worse out in us. That doesn’t make any of you or I bad. It’s human nature.
Totally agree with you. However, the apologists will be ok. With anything actually.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Many of you can say today you embrace the rebuild…and so do I. But come back here in November when/if we are 1-8 or 2-7.

We will all tire of Gannons post game and weekly rah rah stuff. We won’t be embracing him and just saying “That’s alright JG it’s a rebuilding year”.

Losing consistently will bring the worse out in us. That doesn’t make any of you or I bad. It’s human nature.

Uh, not for me. While I never want to lose, other than an already confirmed lost season and want higher draft capital, next year is the best year to be absolutely terrible, whether we keep Kyler or not. We gotta come away with a new QB, MHJ, or a buttload of more picks or combination of those, and next years draft is solid.

Hoping the same fate for the Texans (only for next year).

Next years draft could be one of the most defining drafts in Cardinals history when it's all said and done...if we get the top picks.

Last edited:

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Uh, not for me. While I never want to lose, other than an already confirmed lost season and want higher draft capital, next year is the best year to be absolutely terrible, whether we keep Kyler or not. We gotta come away with a new QB, MHJ, or a buttload of more picks or combination of those, and next years draft is solid.

Hoping the same fate for the Texans (only for next year).

Next years draft could be one of the most defining drafts in Cardinals history when it's all said and done...if we get the top picks.
I’m with you, the only way I’d be disappointed is if we don’t play hard, tough and smart.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm going to reject this premise because I'm not excusing the FO in FA because the Cards are a cheap organization. Also, how does this fit with you 100 million FA spending spree next year?

No, I'm not talking about specific players. It simply would have been nice to see--and certainly possible--some talent brought in for the long-term in FA. Claims that this is impossible to do for the Cards will fall on deaf ears, as claiming only 1-year deals were smart or possible is quite ludicrous.

Strangely, a Bidwill decided to be unusually generous with the cash towards Keim, Kliff and Kyler after the team completely imploded. A rare time perhaps when being frugal would have been beneficial.

Granted, there is still the chance Kyler does very well under the new regime. I think the odds are kind of low but I certainly hope it happens.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Id rather have pick 1, because Houston sucks and pick 12-15, because Kyler showed to be the QB for the future, so the team can build around him, than have the top 2 picks and have to start over at QB again.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Id rather have pick 1, because Houston sucks and pick 12-15, because Kyler showed to be the QB for the future, so the team can build around him, than have the top 2 picks and have to start over at QB again.
Right but I like that we have options either way

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

I think those numbers are what he’s going for. Stay patient

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave