10 thoughts - draft

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gaines started two games at the center position in his junior year. He started most of the time at right guard. I am assuming he played better at right guard. I don't think two games in college is enough experience to say he will be a quality starter at center. Having a fourth-round draft pick start in his rookie season is rare especially in position where he has limited experience.

Yes normally its like this
But can u name our starting center right now and the depth behind him
Even an Udfa center may have a chance to start

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Yes normally its like this
But can u name our starting center right now and the depth behind him
Even an Udfa center may have a chance to start
You are right. We have no starting center on the roster. We are grasping for straws. An UDFA could start at center, except we did not sign any UDFA centers. I am sure we can find a body to start at center, but I want more than a body.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Does the wealth of draft picks next year, along with Caleb Williams, makes this a make-or-break (half-)season for Kyler Murray?
This is undoubtedly the most intriguing storyline of the season. If Kyler skips half the season and looks bad when he returns, there will be plenty of full throated calls to replace him. Neglecting the D as a whole seemingly signals to the players that they don't intend on competing this year. Vegas odds make that even more clear.

Navigating the Kyler situation, good or bad will be the most important thing for Monti/Gannon to figure out.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't agree, Krang. At #32 they could have taken Avila, at #95 they could have taken Stromberg. Other than that, I actually think Gaines will be good, so it is fine with me that they waited.
Adding the 3rd next was huge.

You have to remember we all get tunnel vision with the draft. Most of these guys aren't going to be good, so adding additional 1st and 2nd day picks is huge.

Ojulari was a first rounder on some boards. Avila/Stromberg were not. Ojulari was a better value. Drafting for pure need gets you in trouble.
I know, and I think it proves my point that size matters with a cornerback. :) Also, if Francisco had slightly longer arms, or a bit better vertical (which you say is the most important measurements), he would have pushed Holmes out.
His problem is that he was slow and not that talented lol. Nothing wrong with his size at all. Williams is a heck of a lot more talented than Francisco ever was

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Ojulari was a first rounder on some boards. Avila/Stromberg were not. Ojulari was a better value. Drafting for pure need gets you in trouble.
Maybe some boards had him as a first rounder but the draft sites I follow had him as a late second round pick. If you want value, we should have taken a pass rusher or CB at #6 instead of an OG.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Maybe some boards had him as a first rounder but the draft sites I follow had him as a late second round pick.
No where did I EVER see Ojulari as a late 2nd round pick. No where.
If you want value, we should have taken a pass rusher or CB at #6 instead of an OG.
Paris Johnson is not a guard long term. He was probably the Cardinals BPA.

You are just negative about this draft because it didn't meet your expectations.

I try to enter the draft with a fairly open mind. What that means is that sometimes, teams don't get the opportunity really to draft certain positions. Sometimes the value and fit isn't there.

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

You are just negative about this draft because it didn't meet your expectations.

I try to enter the draft with a fairly open mind. What that means is that sometimes, teams don't get the opportunity really to draft certain positions. Sometimes the value and fit isn't there.
100% and if the fit is really needed then you trade down instead of reach or take the better value and trade up to get what you need.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Maybe some boards had him as a first rounder but the draft sites I follow had him as a late second round pick. If you want value, we should have taken a pass rusher or CB at #6 instead of an OG.
You must be registered for see images attach

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would much rather watch our 5th round rookie QB this year than a zero-ceiling backup like Blough or McCoy.

And heck, maybe he looks pretty good and we flip him after the season for much better than a 5th round pick.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score

You are right. It did not meet my expectations. I also had an open mind going into the draft and on our new GM. I have never been so down on a draft or an off season. I expected better drafting and better free agent signings. I have seen neither. I am deeply disappointed in MO so far. The only positive is we have multiply picks next year. It is sad that we more focused on the 2024 draft then we are on this year's performance. Many people have already written off this year.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You are right. It did not meet my expectations. I also had an open mind going into the draft and on our new GM. I have never been so down on a draft or an off season. I expected better drafting and better free agent signings. I have seen neither. I am deeply disappointed in MO so far. The only positive is we have multiply picks next year. It is sad that we more focused on the 2024 draft then we are on this year's performance. Many people have already written off this year.

The 2024 draft class is a lot better, and our QB has a torn ACL. What they did in FA and draft makes sense.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
I find difficult to evaluate next year's draft class when they have not even played. To say the 250 plus players drafted next year are better than this year is hard for me to comprehend.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
I looked at multiple draft boards and only one had him in the first round. Two had him at the top of the second round but the vast majority had him in the bottom half of the second round. One site had him in the third round.

I also looked at Paris Johnson. Only one site had him in the top ten. The rest had him outside the top ten.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I looked at multiple draft boards and only one had him in the first round. Two had him at the top of the second round but the vast majority had him in the bottom half of the second round. One site had him in the third round.

I also looked at Paris Johnson. Only one site had him in the top ten. The rest had him outside the top ten.
I literally looked at five major sites and none had Ojulari as a bottom of the 2nd. None.

He led the SEC in total pressures last year. He is a very good player.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I find difficult to evaluate next year's draft class when they have not even played.
They have played...against this class. Marvin Harrison Jr abused every corner from this class that he faced.

Caleb Williams and Drake Maye were better than all of the QBs in this draft this year.
To say the 250 plus players drafted next year are better than this year is hard for me to comprehend.
How so? Most draft analysts said this was one of the worst classes in years. Some teams only had 15 players with 1st round grades this year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Like you and Sportingnews are the only ones hating this draft. I'm seeing most say it's a A draft. Good players and great maneuvering. Free agency has sucked for sure.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
And congratulations to you and your new bride!! It’s a special time in your life. Here’s a bit of advice from someone who’s been married 30 years. 1. Even if you’re right, always be the one to apologize.
2. Never go to bed mad at each other.
3. And try not to make fun of whoever her favorite sports teams are. Being a Cardinal fan, that will always come back and bite your behind lol.
Married 30 years? Same woman? :biglaugh:

Sorry, forgot to add, congratulations, PACardsFan

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
They have played...against this class. Marvin Harrison Jr abused every corner from this class that he faced.

Caleb Williams and Drake Maye were better than all of the QBs in this draft this year.

How so? Most draft analysts said this was one of the worst classes in years. Some teams only had 15 players with 1st round grades this year.
Ok that is three players. What about the other 250 plus players?
You believe Ojulari is a very good player and we selected him the second round.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Married 30 years? Same woman? :biglaugh:

Sorry, forgot to add, congratulations, PACardsFan
I'll throw in a number 4...why not? I am married to #1 since 1969...yeah do the math. IF you are politically on different ends of the continuum either do not discuss politics, don't try and ask her to see it your way that stuff, generally speaking does not work and can lead to bad stuff. Ciao. By the way I am a Cardinal fan longer than my marriage.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Ok that is three players. What about the other 250 plus players?
The entire slate of top picks are really good next year. Joe Alt is a franchise LT, so is Fashanu. Jared Verse will be a really good edge. Kool Aid McKinstry is way better than any corner in this draft. I could go on, or you could go and read what scouts are saying.
You believe Ojulari is a very good player and we selected him the second round.
I do think he is very good. Not elite, but very good. He'll be one of the best players from the 2nd round.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't even think he's a guard this year. This is just something this board speculated on that now seems to have become gospel.

Kyler wanted him for RT and I don't think you draft a Tackle at 6 without the intention to play him at tackle.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Although I don't agree with all we did in the draft, we graded out well and we certainly weren't going to have a good season. That said, FA was ass.
I think the explanation that I heard from one pundit about the Cardinals scouting staff makes a lot of sense: Ossenfort is surrounded by Keim guys, so he didn't trust them in FA or the draft, so he didn't spend long term money and just took really toolsy type players in the draft.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose