10 thoughts - draft

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mostly agree with everything @Gandhi but I was glad when the Cardinals added a quarterback late.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Agree with most of your points, except point Three
Luxury picks a qb in the fifth round?
I would draft a qb almost every years with late picks
Depth behind Murray is bad, Mccoy is decent back up but often injured

I get your point, Juza. I just think that you can get quality players in every round, and thus that you can upgrade your team all the way through the draft. You are obviously right that there is not much depth behind Murray - and especially that it is a real problem for at least half the season - but I had just preferred something else.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And no of those guys were truly elite center prospects. I like Ojulari's chances more.
I also like the combination of Ojulari and Gaines more than other possibilities, but I do think that both Avila and Stromberg were really good options. I don't know if I have bigger hopes for those two than many others on this board. It seems a little that way, but I just think that both will be strong contributors already in year one, and could play a big role for many years. I really like those two picks.

I think height can be overrated at corner in most situations.

Yes, I agree, it can. However, it is important, and it can be the difference between good or bad things happening.

Also, if Aaron Francisco was just a little bit longer, or had the legs to take just a little step more, then the Cardinals would have a ring. ;)

Slade got a sizable guarantee which means he has a good shot to stick. Sounds like more of a solid run stopper type.

Yes, that is also my interpretation.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
8. When they drafted Wilson in the 3rd round they had no 4th or 5th round picks. They didn't get the additional picks in the Lioms trade until 5 minutes later. If they really wanted Wilson they had to take him early.
That is a great point, TR!

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As always, a great post! I would add this:
3. Not necessarily a luxury, but a great fit. One of our offensive coaches coached him in a senior bowl game & was super impressed. He has an accurate arm, quite the attitude, and an ability to run when needed. He is ideal for the type of offense that we will run this year.

You are right, PA. It is a great fit, and at least in theory he could be very important for part of this season. Okay, I have been convinced. :)

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gandhi, I feel used, you romanced us with your posts and then go off and marry someone else. Seriously congratulations on your recent nuptials. I hope you and your bride have many happy years together.
Thank you, Cardpa! I will give your wishes on to her. :)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Slade is only 293. He's too light for a run stuffer by about 30lbs.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You are right, PA. It is a great fit, and at least in theory he could be very important for part of this season. Okay, I have been convinced. :)
And congratulations to you and your new bride!! It’s a special time in your life. Here’s a bit of advice from someone who’s been married 30 years. 1. Even if you’re right, always be the one to apologize.
2. Never go to bed mad at each other.
3. And try not to make fun of whoever her favorite sports teams are. Being a Cardinal fan, that will always come back and bite your behind lol.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I also like the combination of Ojulari and Gaines more than other possibilities, but I do think that both Avila and Stromberg were really good options. I don't know if I have bigger hopes for those two than many others on this board. It seems a little that way, but I just think that both will be strong contributors already in year one, and could play a big role for many years. I really like those two picks.
Everything in the draft is opportunity cost.

The Cardinals really only had a realistic shot at a center at #41.

In almost no instances is it smart to take a nonpremium center over a pass rusher. Ojulari had the chance to be a really good #2 pass rusher. I just don't think the centers have his ceiling.

I like Stromberg too, but if the Cardinals are transitioning to a wide zone running game and Stromberg is likely a very poor fit for that type of offense.
Yes, I agree, it can. However, it is important, and it can be the difference between good or bad things happening.
Arm length and vertical matter more. I'm 5'11 and the difference between me and 6'1 dude is minimal. Plenty of good 5'10 corners over the years.
Also, if Aaron Francisco was just a little bit longer, or had the legs to take just a little step more, then the Cardinals would have a ring. ;)
Francisco was 6'2.
Yes, that is also my interpretation.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It seems very likely to me that Gaines was drafted with the C position in mind.
I really didn't want to argue with this as i respect your opinions. I believe that you stated you had him ranked as the 4th best center in the draft. How did you arrive at this as I never saw any listing anywhere of him being ranked as a center?? Thanks as I felt this is still a major hole for the Cards.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And congratulations to you and your new bride!! It’s a special time in your life. Here’s a bit of advice from someone who’s been married 30 years. 1. Even if you’re right, always be the one to apologize.
2. Never go to bed mad at each other.
3. And try not to make fun of whoever her favorite sports teams are. Being a Cardinal fan, that will always come back and bite your behind lol.
Thank you, PA! I will remember those advices. :D

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Cardinals really only had a realistic shot at a center at #41.

I don't agree, Krang. At #32 they could have taken Avila, at #95 they could have taken Stromberg. Other than that, I actually think Gaines will be good, so it is fine with me that they waited.

Francisco was 6'2.

I know, and I think it proves my point that size matters with a cornerback. :) Also, if Francisco had slightly longer arms, or a bit better vertical (which you say is the most important measurements), he would have pushed Holmes out.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I really didn't want to argue with this as i respect your opinions. I believe that you stated you had him ranked as the 4th best center in the draft. How did you arrive at this as I never saw any listing anywhere of him being ranked as a center?? Thanks as I felt this is still a major hole for the Cards.
That is a great point, AZ. To me it is as much about his intellect on the field, and the fact that he has experience snapping the ball, and generally have good versatility. I believe that almost any guard can play center in a pinch, since the assignments and blocking is pretty much the same, but with Gaines I think it is more than a pinch, based on what I wrote in the beginning. :)

I should note, though, that I was not that impressed with the C class, so that has probably also played a role.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Congrats, @Gandhi ! She is a very fortunate woman to be with someone as loyal as you are seeing how loyal you are to a foreign sport across the pond and our team is pretty lousy.
Thank you, JF!

Funny story, I became a fan of the Cards in the famous Monday Night Game versus the Bears. I cannot explain why, but as a person I don't like to shop around between sport teams, so I have stayed loyal to the Cards since then. You might say that they were not who I thought they were :)D), but it is still "my" team.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Gaines started two games at the center position in his junior year. He started most of the time at right guard. I am assuming he played better at right guard. I don't think two games in college is enough experience to say he will be a quality starter at center. Having a fourth-round draft pick start in his rookie season is rare especially in position where he has limited experience.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave