2023 1st round pick is #6 Paris Johnson

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I don't get the DJ Humphries comp and haven't seen anyone in the NFL world make it.

DJ had a RAS of 7.74. Paris has a RAS of 9.83.

He's taller, heavier, faster, stronger, more explosive and more agile. His arms are 3" longer than Humps. His footwork is far better. He's more violent, I've never seen Hump drive a man into the ground like Paris does on run blocks. Certainly not with regularity.

He's more mature. More intelligent. His football IQ is far higher at the same stage.

Apart from being a tall, black LT I don't see the similarity.

The guy he reminds me of most in size, athleticism and play style is D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Brick

312lbs
34.24" arm
5.08 40 time
30 vertical
811 broad
4.85 short shuttle

Paris

313lbs
36.12" arm
32.5" vertical
902 Broad
4.53 short shuttle
Go ahead look at your numbers. I've seen every game Paris Johnson has played at OSU and every game DJ has played for the Cards. I'll go with what I see over some tall black LT with similar size and combine numbers you pulled out of the air.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Go ahead look at your numbers. I've seen every game Paris Johnson has played at OSU and every game DJ has played for the Cards. I'll go with what I see over some tall black LT with similar size and combine numbers you pulled out of the air.
FWIW, having watched a handful of OSU games, I didn't see PJJ as any great force in the run game. They rarely ran behind him, but he was always looking for someone to put his body on when they ran.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
FWIW, having watched a handful of OSU games, I didn't see PJJ as any great force in the run game. They rarely ran behind him, but he was always looking for someone to put his body on when they ran.
OSU's main problem on offense this past year was their run blocking. When it was 3rd or 4th and short, they really struggled to get a first down running the ball. It drove fans nuts that an OL/offense that talented couldn't get a yard when they needed to just line up and run it.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Strictly speaking about PJ's development (without taking into consideration other guys on the team), would it be better:
1. Play him at OT, but on the right side.
2. Play him at OG, but on the left side.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OSU's main problem on offense this past year was their run blocking. When it was 3rd or 4th and short, they really struggled to get a first down running the ball. It drove fans nuts that an OL/offense that talented couldn't get a yard when they needed to just line up and run it.

Wait... I thought the Buckeye fans were nuts.

This guy's nickname is Big Nut!

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I feel like cards drafted Leonard Davis 2.0. They need to put him at guard where he is likely to thrive.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Strictly speaking about PJ's development (without taking into consideration other guys on the team), would it be better:
1. Play him at OT, but on the right side.
2. Play him at OG, but on the left side.

RT

It's a far more valuable and difficult position to play than Guard. Putting an athlete and talent like Paris at G would be a huge waste.

We are better with Paris at RT and any of the 25 Guards we have on the roster at LG than we are with Paris at LG and Beachum at RT. And Beachum is a fine RT.

You would be better moving Beachum to Guard. He's actually physically better built for G anyway at 6' 2" and 33" arms and he might get some more years playing out of G than T. But I expect it will be Josh Jones or Marquise Hayes, probably Jones due to his better athleticism for outside zone.

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
RT

It's a far more valuable and difficult position to play than Guard. Putting an athlete and talent like Paris at G would be a huge waste.

We are better with Paris at RT and any of the 25 Guards we have on the roster at LG than we are with Paris at LG and Beachum at RT. And Beachum is a fine RT.

You would be better moving Beachum to Guard. He's actually physically better built for G anyway at 6' 2" and 33" arms and he might get some more years playing out of G than T. But I expect it will be Josh Jones or Marquise Hayes, probably Jones due to his better athleticism for outside zone.
Brit, thanks. Great info.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brit, thanks. Great info.

I should add I don't think Beachum is a great fit for the expected wide zone scheme we will deploy in run blocking. So I think it's most likely he reverts to a backup role as he's getting paid backup money.

I didn't think Hernandez was a great fit either but I had a look at some of his early Giants film and they ran a lot of outside zone in his better years in the league.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Are LT’s usually pretty good LG’s too? Seems an LT could move to LG and be good or even better because position is less demanding?

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Are LT’s usually pretty good LG’s too? Seems an LT could move to LG and be good or even better because position is less demanding?

I would believe some tackles could kick to guard (same side), just as corners could kick to safety.

Switching sides is a different story, but doable.

Last edited:

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
He couldn’t play RT. He has a tight comfort zone and likely can’t be moved.
How much difference is there between LT & LG? I have no clue but it would seem a good LT might make a great LG. I believe I’ve read many time I think that college LT’s that aren’t quite good enough for the NFL could move to LG and be good there.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
How much difference is there between LT & LG? I have no clue but it would seem a good LT might make a great LG. I believe I’ve read many time I think that college LT’s that aren’t quite good enough for the NFL could move to LG and be good there.
It's mostly about the footwork and placement. Some guys just can't switch it up, unfortunately.