What we are in for….

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Losing most of our stars on defense is scary. Really, really scary. And now our leader on D, BB, wants out?

Maybe we'll be okay on offense. It's hard to tell.

But in what universe is this year's edition of the defense going to be able to stop anybody? The only hope is if Collins and Simmons start playing out of their minds, and Lawrence stays healthy all year.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Many of you can say today you embrace the rebuild…and so do I. But come back here in November when/if we are 1-8 or 2-7.

We will all tire of Gannons post game and weekly rah rah stuff. We won’t be embracing him and just saying “That’s alright JG it’s a rebuilding year”.
Remember Kingsbury and how sick we got of “ You have to give them credit” crap.

Losing consistently will bring the worse out in us. That doesn’t make any of you or I bad. It’s human nature.
For me, it's only if they play like confused garbage and show zero growth. Like I mentioned above, if they play like a cohesive unit and stick together, Gannon won't lose the team and really shouldn't lose any fans. We've seen Detroit go through this a couple years ago...Chicago this past year and likely again this year....Houston about to keep going through...Jags went through it, etc. All of those teams played hard during the rebuild. Cards are capable of doing the same.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think we are seeing a well disguised tank. I expect Hopkins to be gone by the trading deadline. Baker might go also. Injuries to contenders could well add a second round pick or two. Gardeck, Fotu and maybe even Lawrence could join them. By using post June 1 cuts, the Cards would open up cap money to aggressively attack the 2024 free agent market, which is a medium group. If Johnson plays great, Humphries might go as well. It looks to me like the Cards are targeting jump starting the team then. They would control the market and advance quickly to a playoff contender status. Of course it all depends on whom they acquire and how well the team is coached. If they max out, this could be a top team contender by 2025.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I think we are seeing a well disguised tank. I expect Hopkins to be gone by the trading deadline. Baker might go also. Injuries to contenders could well add a second round pick or two. Gardeck, Fotu and maybe even Lawrence could join them. By using post June 1 cuts, the Cards would open up cap money to aggressively attack the 2024 free agent market, which is a medium group. If Johnson plays great, Humphries might go as well. It looks to me like the Cards are targeting jump starting the team then. They would control the market and advance quickly to a playoff contender status. Of course it all depends on whom they acquire and how well the team is coached. If they max out, this could be a top team contender by 2025.
Yeppers

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't expect us to just lose, I expect us to get slaughtered. This could easily be the worst Cardinals team ever and we have had some very bad teams. We lost five starters in the off season, and we have replaced them with nothing. We have a poor OL and DL. That doesn't usually produce good results. We have a HC, OC and DC who are new to their position. Most of position coaches are also new to their position. It is unrealistic to expect them to excel in their first year in a job. I have never been so down on the future of the team as I am this year. Not even close.

Team won't be great, but some of those awful teams in the 90s certainly didn't have a QB like Kyler or receivers like Hopkins(assuming he stays) or Hollywood. Heck, at least it isn't a Derek Anderson, Max Hall, or John Skelton run offense.(although if we are stuck with Blough for numerous weeks, it could be just like that)

Assuming the OLine is at least functional, the offense if healthy when Kyler returns certainly has the ability to put up points and be competitive in some games.(if the defense can somehow manage to get some stops during games)

Reaction score
Who said he was the Messiah?

Would you rather have Kliff and Keim?

Since most think we won’t win one game next year even one victory will seem huge.

You want a tank well call it what you will and bring on that self fulfilled prophecy.

Yeah good suggestion mentioned above..tailgate…go home…and set your DVR for the 2024 draft.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
If that's the case? Good! We own the draft next year we might as well have the #1 pick as well. Thats a win for me!
I don't understand the theory that being the worst team in the league and having the #1 pick is a win. I want pick #32. That would be a win for me.

Last edited:

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Team won't be great, but some of those awful teams in the 90s certainly didn't have a QB like Kyler or receivers like Hopkins(assuming he stays) or Hollywood. Heck, at least it isn't a Derek Anderson, Max Hall, or John Skelton run offense.(although if we are stuck with Blough for numerous weeks, it could be just like that)
I sat through those game at Sun Devil Stadium. I often used to stop watching the game during the second half and just watch the cheer leaders. I don't want to return to games that are already decided in the first half.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Who said he was the Messiah?

Would you rather have Kliff and Keim?

Since most think we won’t win one game next year even one victory will seem huge.

You want a tank well call it what you will and bring on that self fulfilled prophecy.

Yeah good suggestion mentioned above..tailgate…go home…and set your DVR for the 2024 draft.

Exactly. What would truly be depressing is heading into this season with Keim/Kliff/VJ still with jobs. At this very moment we would have just finished watching Keim do terribly once again in the draft. So not only would this coming season be dire, but we certainly wouldn't have the moves Monti made for the 24 draft, and potential of a quick rebound.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
They can still suck, record-wise, but if they at least resemble a cohesive unit, he won't lose the team.

It won’t matter if he loses the team because like 70% of the roster are free agents in 2024 already.
The weapons will be there but will Kyler coming in cause a regression as he gets on the same page?

A regression from an offense lead by Colt McCoy or a rookie 5th round pick? I’ll take my chances.

They would control the market and advance quickly to a playoff contender status. Of course it all depends on whom they acquire and how well the team is coached. If they max out, this could be a top team contender by 2025.
Yes. The youngest teams are almost always the ones competing deep into the postseason. Especially when you’ve hollowed out all the veteran talent at once.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
What are we in for, beyond 2024

Who do the Cardinals have through 2025 season *pre 2023 draft contracts

Kyler $45 million

Keontay Ingram $1.1
Emari Demercado $1

Ertz $2(?)
Joel Honigford $1
Black Whiteheart $1

Jalen Thompson $13.7
Christian Mathew $1.1
Kendall Brooks $1
Ouavian White $1

DJ $22.9
Lecitus Smith $1.1
Marquis Hayes $1.1

Cam Thomas $1.6
Myjai Sanders $1.6

(special teams) Matt Hembrough $1

AND ONLY 2 LINEBACKERS
Marvin Pierre $1
Kyle Soelle $1

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest issue I see is Kyler being unable to get reps in the new offense all offseason and in camp. By the time he returns, the rest of the offense will have months of meaningful reps.

The weapons will be there but will the OL? The weapons will be there but will Kyler coming in cause a regression as he gets on the same page?

I don’t expect a winning record but I am not sure I buy the idea they will have the worst record in the league either.

If Kyler shows something when he returns, the Cardinals have their quarterback. If not, they are well-prepared in the next draft to move on.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, we actually need to feel that. Talk to me when we'll have more than a handful of players--foundational players--under contract beyond next year and we'll talk.

Agree. The Cardinals have to nail their draft picks and lay the foundation.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Im not sure what the point of this is. There is absolutely ZERO chance this team is competitive next year and ABSOLUTELY will be the worst team in football.

If youre a cardinal fan you know this as 100% fact and will not expect to view or experience many wins next year.

If you go into next year expecting victory, you have not been paying attention.
I certainly don't know they will be the worst team in football. They could be sure, but the NFL changes far to quick to be certain of anything.

For all I know Gannon is a great coach. 8 wins isn't impossible, but it is unlikely.

Expectations are low, whatever happens will be fine. I just want to see some young players that look like building blocks show up, and yes hopefully see some promise in the coaching staff.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Losing most of our stars on defense is scary. Really, really scary. And now our leader on D, BB, wants out?

Maybe we'll be okay on offense. It's hard to tell.

But in what universe is this year's edition of the defense going to be able to stop anybody? The only hope is if Collins and Simmons start playing out of their minds, and Lawrence stays healthy all year.
Is it really that scary? The defense was ranked like 31st.

You never know if some young guys will surprise and look like future stars - it happens every year.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. I don’t see it as well disguise…

• Haha
Reactions: PJ1

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It won’t matter if he loses the team because like 70% of the roster are free agents in 2024 already.

A regression from an offense lead by Colt McCoy or a rookie 5th round pick? I’ll take my chances.

Yes. The youngest teams are almost always the ones competing deep into the postseason. Especially when you’ve hollowed out all the veteran talent at once.
Agree on the "youth will prevail quickly" talk.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For how long, and at what "speed?" If Kyler were coming off the back of a decent season, perfectly healthy, in a system he's already comfortable in, I'd give this a lot of credence. It's just not setting up to be a good season for us. Which is perfectly fine! It'll benefit us in the long run. I just wish we would have signed any players at all that will be with us long-term. We really, really nerfed FA this year.

I just don't think this is realistic mate. Can you think of any good young players signing with teams that are known to be bad the upcoming year?

As soon as Kyler was hurt it made FA much harder. You got to be able to sell to good players that you are going to compete, nobody wants to sign on for a likely 3-14 with a hurt QB when they have several good teams also interested in them.

Would you have signed for the Cards in FA if you had the Niners, Eagles, Lions etc interested?

I looked into this with the Brown's last year and the Bengals when Burrow was hurt and they had similar FA signings with a bunch of long shot 1 year deals for players that failed elsewhere because their starting QB situation was up in the air.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is it really that scary? The defense was ranked like 31st.

You never know if some young guys will surprise and look like future stars - it happens every year.

This. There's never any allowance for young players getting better. Zaven, Isaiah, JT, Sanders, Thomas, Lawrence, Wilson etc all have the ability to be better with better coaching and scheme.

This board has blamed Kliff, Vance and Keim for many of the teams woes and now they are gone there seems to be no expectation of things improving.

I don't expect a winning season and I'm fine with that. I didn't expect it as soon as Kyler was hurt. The firing of Keim and Kliff only compounded that because any new GM coming in should be tearing the crap that Keim built down.

Honestly, I'm glad to kinda take the year off from the BS of "We can compete this year" when we all know we can't. While at the same time having hope for the future that the roster is being turned over and reconstructed in the right way.

We can very easily go into 2024 with a wealth of draft talent and $100m in FA money to spend depending on what happens with Hopkins.

I think the team won't be good, but will be better than many expect. Depending when Kyler returns I think the floor is 4-13 and the ceiling is 7-10.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What's my prediction for the Cardinals season?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Its going to be a doozy.

Although, if the opposing team kills one of our coaches prior to a game, as Clubber Lang kills Mick in Rocky III, I expect the NFL will cancel the game, probably even award us a win by default.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I just don't think this is realistic mate. Can you think of any good young players signing with teams that are known to be bad the upcoming year?

As soon as Kyler was hurt it made FA much harder. You got to be able to sell to good players that you are going to compete, nobody wants to sign on for a likely 3-14 with a hurt QB when they have several good teams also interested in them.

Would you have signed for the Cards in FA if you had the Niners, Eagles, Lions etc interested?

I looked into this with the Brown's last year and the Bengals when Burrow was hurt and they had similar FA signings with a bunch of long shot 1 year deals for players that failed elsewhere because their starting QB situation was up in the air.
Money talks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose