What a Hard Draft to Evaluate

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What statistical backing shows Moore is "way better" than Dortch?

Rondale wins on all these but 2

These are all from last year in pretty much the same role. Although most importantly Rondale had 52 yards per game and Dortch had 29.

MooreDortch
Yards per team pass attempt
1.38​
0.74​
True Catch rate
83.70%​
88.1​
Yards per route run
1.67​
1.47​
Yards per reception
10.1​
9​
Target seperation
2.13​
1.38​
Contested catch rate
50%​
42.90%​
QBR per target
99.9​
101​
Route win rate
45.60%​
40.7​
aDot
5.3​
5.7​
Yards after catch per target
5​
4.3​

Last edited:

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
It often takes 2-3 years to evaluate drafts, each pick. It looked like more of the same as other Cards drafts but we'll have to see. The Standford wr, Wilson is good when he's actually playing. The dbs, pass rushers also questions about all but round 2s edge pick. MO went OL in round 1 which was a need but kind of reached. He did a good job in getting future picks. But can he select good draft picks. I say that because passing in on Anderson was bold. It might have been ordered for him not to go that route and go OL. That is a big factor in that job.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Rondale wins on all these but 2

These are all from last year in pretty much the same role. Although most importantly Rondale had 52 yards per game and Dortch had 29.

MooreDortch
Yards per team pass attempt
1.38​
0.74​
True Catch rate
83.70%​
88.1​
Yards per route run
1.67​
1.47​
Yards per reception
10.1​
9​
Target seperation
2.13​
1.38​
Contested catch rate
50%​
42.90%​
QBR per target
99.9​
101​
Route win rate
45.60%​
40.7​
aDot
5.3​
5.7​
Yards after catch per target
5​
4.3​
Small sample size theatre. Moore had 56 targets last year; Dortch had 64. No breakdowns from these small sample sizes are indicative of anything.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Small sample size theatre. Moore had 56 targets last year; Dortch had 64. No breakdowns from these small sample sizes are indicative of anything.
Agree on this....and it really goes to show just how similar they are. With such similarity, why not just use the guy who isn't hurt every other game?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

"What stats prove Rondale is better?"

Shows stats showing Rondale is better.

"Yeah but it's a small sample size"

Rondale played 459 snaps last year. Dorth played 467. Practically identical. And Moore beat him in nearly every way. We could use that, or we could use vibes.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Rondale played 459 snaps last year. Dorth played 467. Practically identical. And Moore beat him in nearly every way. We could use that, or we could use vibes.
Yes, but seven of the metrics you cited have targets as the denominator. I'm not sure why "Yards per team pass attempt" is even a valuable metric. What does it indicate?

Rondale was given every opportunity to excel and validate his hype. He barely outperformed undrafted Greg Dortch in even the cherry picked metrics you provided.

While missing nine games due to injury.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yes, but seven of the metrics you cited have targets as the denominator. I'm not sure why "Yards per team pass attempt" is even a valuable metric. What does it indicate?

Rondale was given every opportunity to excel and validate his hype. He barely outperformed undrafted Greg Dortch in even the cherry picked metrics you provided.

While missing nine games due to injury.
Yeah, of those metrics, maybe two were relevant?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rondale was available for 8 games last season.

Dortch was available for 16 games last season.

The best ability...

And I am the biggest Rondale supporter around. He just needs to stay healthy but hasn't been able to so far.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It often takes 2-3 years to evaluate drafts, each pick. It looked like more of the same as other Cards drafts but we'll have to see. The Standford wr, Wilson is good when he's actually playing. The dbs, pass rushers also questions about all but round 2s edge pick. MO went OL in round 1 which was a need but kind of reached. He did a good job in getting future picks. But can he select good draft picks. I say that because passing in on Anderson was bold. It might have been ordered for him not to go that route and go OL. That is a big factor in that job.
Why was Paris Johnson a reach?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rondale was available for 8 games last season.

Dortch was available for 16 games last season.

The best ability...

And I am the biggest Rondale supporter around. He just needs to stay healthy but hasn't been able to so far.

That's not the argument though. The argument is which players is better, and it's Rondale.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
Why was Paris Johnson a reach?
Not in itself; just the way he went about it. I felt like some picks got squandered in the process. He did get his man but I wanted him to stay put and still get his guy then build up those trenches.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I watched JJ Artega-Whiteside fail miserably, up close and personal. Wilson just totally reminds me of him. I'm sure it's the Stanford thing but I'm worried for sure about this pick.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I watched JJ Artega-Whiteside fail miserably, up close and personal. Wilson just totally reminds me of him. I'm sure it's the Stanford thing but I'm worried for sure about this pick.
Whiteside just essentially beat everyone on 50-50 balls. He wasn't a good route runner at all.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
when we drafted Rondale I suggested moving him to RB and got poo poo'd...
but the kid is absolutely a Barry Sanders clone.... same height and weight, same 40 time, same body type, same personality, neither worked out at the combine, but private workout numbers are nearly identical all across the board.
If we ran that wide zone run scheme that BA ran with DJ, Rondale could be a very dangerous weapon out of the backfield. he would probably be a 1500 yard back...cant imagine what he might do if he played a full season

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
but the kid is absolutely a Barry Sanders clone.... same height and weight, same 40 time, same body type, same personality, neither worked out at the combine, but private workout numbers are nearly identical all across the board.
If we ran that wide zone run scheme that BA ran with DJ, Rondale could be a very dangerous weapon out of the backfield. he would probably be a 1500 yard back...cant imagine what he might do if he played a full season

There's a vast difference between being elusive in the open field and having the experience, patience, vision and fortitude to run through and into a bunch of 300lb dudes.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Can't even stay healthy at WR, no chance he plays a full season at RB.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not in itself; just the way he went about it. I felt like some picks got squandered in the process. He did get his man but I wanted him to stay put and still get his guy then build up those trenches.
The way the Draft played out, we got our #1 OT. If we stayed at 12, we probably would have had to choose between the third or fourth OT, but would have kept a 2nd round pick. But neither of us know what our Board looked like. JMO, but I don't think it's fair to MO to label PJ a reach.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
The way the Draft played out, we got our #1 OT. If we stayed at 12, we probably would have had to choose between the third or fourth OT, but would have kept a 2nd round pick. But neither of us know what our Board looked like. JMO, but I don't think it's fair to MO to label PJ a reach.
I would have taken B. Robinson after Anderson then Skoronski at 12. That would make that center in round 2 more accessible.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would have taken B. Robinson after Anderson then Skoronski at 12. That would make that center in round 2 more accessible.
If MO had done that, and it might turn out to be a good move, but not only the national media, but many on this Board would have trashed him for:
1. Taking a RB so high.
2. Drafting a guy with short arms that many say is better suited for OG.
Time will tell.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Moving Rondale to rb it means having him available just for a couple of matches