10 thoughts - draft

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sorry for being late with this column. I was busy getting married.

---------------

1 – Paris Johnson has the makeup of a franchise cornerstone.

2 – I don’t watch many LSU-games, but I do read a lot of draft information, and many (credible) writers have analyzed Ojulari as one of the best pure pass rushers in this draft.

3 – Clayton Tune is too much of a luxury pick. The team is not nearly strong enough for that.

4 – Does the wealth of draft picks next year, along with Caleb Williams, makes this a make-or-break (half-)season for Kyler Murray?

5 – Great that they selected a C. There are not many attractive options in free agency, and certainly it is the biggest need on the offensive line. I had only Avila, Michael Schmitz, and Stromberg ranked as better C, and those three were obviously already taken.

6 – I don’t like that they took two corners under 6-0. No, it might not matter anything, but it is a little on my radar.

7 – Every year it entertains – and fascinates – me how a ton of fans thinks that every team’s draft board and rankings is 100% identical with Mel Kiper’s or Daniel Jeremiah’s, and that a teams’ decisions can be judged solely based on those rankings.

8 – Michael Wilson is certainly an intriguing player. If he can stay healthy, he could be a huge asset. I thought that the third round was a little too early, but then again, potential cost, and I could easily see someone else taking him at about the same spot.

9 – Why was Gannon not at any of the post-day press conferences? Probably to not getting too many non-draft related questions, but still, it was a strange look.

10 – Among the UDFA’s they brought in, keep an eye on the two former Michigan State boys, safety Kendall Brooks and defensive tackle Jacob Slade.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
4 – Does the wealth of draft picks next year, along with Caleb Williams, makes this a make-or-break (half-)season for Kyler Murray?

5 – Great that they selected a C. There are not many attractive options in free agency, and certainly it is the biggest need on the offensive line. I had only Avila, Michael Schmitz, and Stromberg ranked as better C, and those three were obviously already taken.
#4: Yes, I think this is a make or break year for KM, especially if we get a high enough pick for that coveted QB in this supposedly coveted QB class coming up.

#5: While I don't mind the pick, I pretty much don't mind it because it's a 4th rounder so why not swing for the fences. Because these guys are usually JAGs at best and aren't counted on to be starters. It would be concerning to say the least if he's starting day one, a minor miracle if Kyler doesn't get killed, and a major miracle if he ends up being good in year one. He was not a top C prospect, clearly, as we learned about Wypler, and we should've gotten one IMO.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

---------------

2 – I don’t watch many LSU-games, but I do read a lot of draft information, and many (credible) writers have analyzed Ojulari as one of the best pure pass rushers in this draft.

3 – Clayton Tune is too much of a luxury pick. The team is not nearly strong enough for that.

6 – I don’t like that they took two corners under 6-0. No, it might not matter anything, but it is a little on my radar.

7 – Every year it entertains – and fascinates – me how a ton of fans thinks that every team’s draft board and rankings is 100% identical with Mel Kiper’s or Daniel Jeremiah’s, and that a teams’ decisions can be judged solely based on those rankings.

8 – Michael Wilson is certainly an intriguing player. If he can stay healthy, he could be a huge asset. I thought that the third round was a little too early, but then again, potential cost, and I could easily see someone else taking him at about the same spot.

9 – Why was Gannon not at any of the post-day press conferences? Probably to not getting too many non-draft related questions, but still, it was a strange look.

10 – Among the UDFA’s they brought in, keep an eye on the two former Michigan State boys, safety Kendall Brooks and defensive tackle Jacob Slade.
Please prioritize your actions in order of importance. Thank You. :)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

---------------

Definitely agree. I think when you are picking high, you need to pick a franchise CB at a value position. If you have doubts about the player, trade down and pick someone else at a value position.
If we are talking pass rush technique, he was the best.
Disagree. I think you need to constantly shuffle young QBs on the roster. Tune has nice tools and most 5th round picks never amount to much anyway.
I would say he's on a shorter leash than a guy who signed such a massive contract should be, but knowing the Cardinals, I still doubt they would eat substantial guaranteed money to move on. Best case scenario is that the Cardinals parlay a high pick into a massive package of picks. The Anderson trade down could be a ridiculous wealth of talent in the future.
And no of those guys were truly elite center prospects. I like Ojulari's chances more.
I think height can be overrated at corner in most situations.
Yep, those boards are fun, but they aren't reality. I love the "Cardinals drafted this guy a round too early" comments....based on what? Mel Kiper? A guy on YouTube who lives in his mom's basement?
When I looked at the roster and the future of the roster, I felt like the Cardinals needed to add a bigger receiver like Tillman, Mingo, Rice, etc. Wilson wasn't really a guy I was considering, but all of those guys were gone by that point, so Wilson made some sense there.
It looked like a separation thing. Let the GM and personnel people handle that stuff. Gannon did a coaches post-draft presser yesterday and there were even better player comments than Ossenfort and Sears' presser.
Slade got a sizable guarantee which means he has a good shot to stick. Sounds like more of a solid run stopper type.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
8. When they drafted Wilson in the 3rd round they had no 4th or 5th round picks. They didn't get the additional picks in the Lioms trade until 5 minutes later. If they really wanted Wilson they had to take him early.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree with most of your points, except point Three
Luxury picks a qb in the fifth round?
I would draft a qb almost every years with late picks
Depth behind Murray is bad, Mccoy is decent back up but often injured

Same. I think we all expected a QB to be drafted.

As @Chopper0080 said its smart. Backup QBs are getting $5m a year now to hold clip boards. Many are earning closer to 10. Drafting one to pay £750k makes sense.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

---------------

As always, a great post! I would add this:
3. Not necessarily a luxury, but a great fit. One of our offensive coaches coached him in a senior bowl game & was super impressed. He has an accurate arm, quite the attitude, and an ability to run when needed. He is ideal for the type of offense that we will run this year.
6. The CB from Syracuse is right around 5’11” and with his vertical, he plays like a 6’1”+ CB. He has excellent closing speed & instincts. If not for the ACL, he would no doubt have been a 1st round pick. And the late round pick is definitely small, but still quite the dynamo. He’ll be a great special teams guys for starters.

Last edited:

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As always, a great post! I would add this:
3. Not necessarily a luxury, but a great fit. One of our offensive coaches coached him in a senior bowl game & was super impressed. He has an accurate arm, quite the attitude, and an ability to run when needed. He is ideal for the type of offense that we will run this year.
6. The CB from Syracuse is right around 5’11” and with his vertical, he plays like a 6’1”+ CB. He has excellent closing speed & instincts. If not for the ACL, he would no doubt have been a 1st round pick. And the late round pick is definitely small, but still quite the dynamo. He’ll be a great special teams guys for starters.
Excuse me. Your first sentence in point three, I am certain you are referring to the draft choice, right??? Not his " I Do. "

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score

---------------

Don't worry you are forgiven. You might consider takening this year off. You might have better things to do than watch the Cardinals implode every week.

You have actually given me a great idea. I am thinking about getting married also. That would give me something else to do beside watch football and should be less stressful then watching this team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA