2023 5th round pick #139 is Clayton Tune QB

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably stupid but I prefer the idea of having a 750k potential back up QB than paying guys like Colt or David Blough 5 mil or 1 mil respectively. I just like grabbing QBs in the draft because there is always the possibility of hitting the lottery.
Something I hadn't thought about, but it makes sense.

The only reason I didn't like this pick is because they signed Jeff Driskel. One of Colt/Blough/Driskel/Tune isn't going to take the team for sure, and another will be gone when Kyler is healthy.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Something I hadn't thought about, but it makes sense.

The only reason I didn't like this pick is because they signed Jeff Driskel. One of Colt/Blough/Driskel/Tune isn't going to take the team for sure, and another will be gone when Kyler is healthy.

Driskel has no guaranteed money (Blough just $76k).

Teams do need 4 QB's for camp so this gives us the 4th. Then Blough and Driskel will be cut I imagine.

I would guess they keep 3 QB's on the 53 with Kyler coming off injury.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Driskel has no guaranteed money (Blough just $76k).

Teams do need 4 QB's for camp so this gives us the 4th. Then Blough and Driskel will be cut I imagine.

I would guess they keep 3 QB's on the 53 with Kyler coming off injury.
Good to know. That definitely changes things. Thanks for the info.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you ever wondered what the opposite of Murray was, this guy is kind of it. He’s thrown over 1500 passes in college so let’s hope his arm holds up. That effort resulted in 101 TDs & only 41 interceptions. He throws a nice ball with good placement on short and medium routes. Deep throws can expose him. With so much experience, he understands the game. He uses progressions and quick reads when blitzed. He shows poise in the pocket and will take a hit to complete a pass. He gets rid of the ball ****** enough to negate most backside pressure. He had had trouble anticipating defenders moving in the opposite direction from the receiver. He needs to followthrough better on deep throws to avoid floating passes making them an easy target for over-the-top safeties.

He’s played in literally dozens of shootouts, so QBing from behind doesn’t intimidate him. That has also caused him to gamble a little too much. I think the Cards like him because more than any of the draftees in this entire draft he may not panic if he has to play immediately. He already more fun than Blough.

He’s really surprised evaluators at the combine, even though he had run for over 1000 yds. He rated in the top 10% on almost every athletic measure. There were questions about his mechanics, but the at the Senior Bowl, even that minimal coaching, he seemed to tighten those mechanics.

This guy is highly competitive. He always plays to win. He reminds me of Drew Stanton with not quite as big an arm. Somewhat like Case Keenum and figures to have a similar career. This isn’t a bad pick. Again I’m not certain what the plan is, but this guy is not a waste.

You forgot to add that he is a Legacy player.

Or does wearing Leather Helmets not count? ;)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to throw this out there right now and it's just a gut feeling based on where Monti Ossenfort came from and his experience in his career.

Your 2025 starting QB for the Arizona Cardinals Clayton Tune.

It could even happen during the 2024 season. I just have this gut feeling that the offense is going to evolve into a classic NFL Offense with a traditional pocket passer who will stand in the pocket, take a hit, will have a good sense in the pocket, will be able to go through the progressions and can buy time in the pocket when there is pressure. I think Murray is gone after 2024.

Tune pretty much fits the role I'm suspecting will come about over the next two seasons. I think there is a long term plan by Ossenfort and it's going to be nothing like we have ever seen with this team from the Graves/Keim eras and going back even before them to the St. Louis days.

The biggest shock as far as QBs getting drafted, I was totally flabbergasted that Sean Clifford (Penn State) got drafted at all and Green Bay took him with a fifth round pick. I'm a PSU homer but I never would have thought that Clifford would be taken at all never mind that high in the draft.
If part of ossi’s plan is based on a 5th round pick at QB, I’m out on Ossi.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Question is.. will Clayton also think he's the best quarterback in Arizona? Might be a fun camp

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Reaction score
Phil Simms likes him.

Whatever that’s worth.

Our current stable of WRs and TEs should make most QBs look good.

May be the steal of the draft. Maybe not.