PFF: 2024 Mock Draft

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That's not unreasonable, but you're still saying that if we go 2-15 that it's mostly on Murray.

What if Murray comes back in game 8 of the season? What if the oline and running game are still a mess in 2023? What if the defense is not able to stop high school team?

We were terrible last year, and we've had a terrible offseason DCR. We're probably not going to be very good this upcoming year.

With all of that said however, if in games 10 - 17 Murray under-performs as a passer as badly as he did in 2022, then I'll keep quiet when people are calling for a new QB, but I still think Murray's regression was a byproduct of the dysfunction bred by K2 and good-time Stevie, and I expect Murray to be fire in 2023. I think he's going to light it up.
Fairly or unfairly, Kyler absolutely has to prove out as the true QBOF this season, or he's getting replaced. You can't go into a draft with a huge question mark at QB and ignore the possibility of drafting a franchise QB when you're sitting at the top of the draft--which I have no doubt we will be.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Fairly or unfairly, Kyler absolutely has to prove out as the true QBOF this season, or he's getting replaced. You can't go into a draft with a huge question mark at QB and ignore the possibility of drafting a franchise QB when you're sitting at the top of the draft--which I have no doubt we will be.
Do you see keeping Kyler in 2024 and drafting Williams/Maye as a viable option? Because he has a dead cap # of $81M in 2024, and no one would be trading for him at that point. I guess if you want to have a poison pill in your local room throughout 2024 just to get him off the books at a more economical price, you'd keep a grumpy Kyler Murray with zero motivation to do anything but play Call of Duty.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Do you see keeping Kyler in 2024 and drafting Williams/Maye as a viable option? Because he has a dead cap # of $81M in 2024, and no one would be trading for him at that point. I guess if you want to have a poison pill in your local room throughout 2024 just to get him off the books at a more economical price, you'd keep a grumpy Kyler Murray with zero motivation to do anything but play Call of Duty.
we would have to eat the dead cap but its doable with a rookie qb and lots of young players... Kyler would be a bargain for any team that traded for him... we are the ones that get screwed.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And pass up on MHJ, which will be a major, major need on this team? No thanks. Players are better than picks in a lot of situations. Punting for picks next season in this year's draft made sense; next year, not so much.
If we trade to 3, we wouldn't need to pass on him, like the option of trading with the Colts this time. They trade with us to prevent a team from moving ahead of them to draft Caleb/Maye. You know it will happen.

Even if you don't want to/can't do that, I'm advocating to do the exact same thing that we did trading and passing on Anderson. It is why our future looks a hell of a lot brighter than it did before the draft.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If we trade to 3, we wouldn't need to pass on him, like the option of trading with the Colts this time. They trade with us to prevent a team from moving ahead of them to draft Caleb/Maye. You know it will happen.

Even if you don't want to/can't do that, I'm advocating to do the exact same thing that we did trading and passing on Anderson. It is why our future looks a hell of a lot brighter than it did before the draft.
Junior is going to be a Hall of Famer, just like his dad. You never pass that up.
if the same could have been said of Anderson Monti would not have traded.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
It is very sad that two days after the 2023 draft we are already focused on the 2024 draft. There is no excitement about our picks or the 2023 season. With the #3 pick and a high second round pick we could have had two impact players. Unfortunately, we drafted two players who we don't have a position for.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
we would have to eat the dead cap but its doable with a rookie qb and lots of young players... Kyler would be a bargain for any team that traded for him... we are the ones that get screwed.
It would be double the largest dead cap hit for any player in NFL history (if we let him go after next year).

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
it would. the team would have to be committed to moving on from him... but they can blame it on keim to save face.
If you did that, you'd pretty much out of necessity need to spread that over 2024 and 2025. Which meant 2026 is the first realistic year we'd be competitive. I guess if the team is really in it for the long haul.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Even coming of the ACL Stout?

Stout

Reaction score

You do that when you need to rebuild. You don't do that when you have the draft capital needed to fill the holes in your roster (WR next year) that help make you a contender. Never, ever punt on trying to be a contender just for more picks next year. What, you want to trade out "for a haul" every season? Like, there comes a time when picks are just picks and you need impact players. What you're advocating is roughly akin to pass on Fitz for a "haul" trade back. No thanks. I'll take the guy that has future star written all over him.

Stout

Reaction score
Even coming of the ACL Stout?
Yes. It's the timing of the situation. If we end up with the #1 or #2 pick, you cannot count on being there again. When you're at the top of the draft and don't have a sure-fire answer at QB, and really top QB prospects are staring you in the face, you take the QB 10 times out of 10. Of course, Kyler can alleviate the situation by balling out. In a comeback from injury year. With a terrible roster. With incredible inside pass rush pressure. I know, it's a monumental task, but this is the NFL and he hasn't proven himself yet. Had he already proven himself, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

The timing and situation just stink for him.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Yes. It's the timing of the situation. If we end up with the #1 or #2 pick, you cannot count on being there again. When you're at the top of the draft and don't have a sure-fire answer at QB, and really top QB prospects are staring you in the face, you take the QB 10 times out of 10. Of course, Kyler can alleviate the situation by balling out. In a comeback from injury year. With a terrible roster. With incredible inside pass rush pressure. I know, it's a monumental task, but this is the NFL and he hasn't proven himself yet. Had he already proven himself, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

The timing and situation just stink for him.
Moving on from Kyler after this season would be a lot more bold move than moving on from Rosen after one season, given the unprecedented salary cap implications. Not saying it would be the wrong move, if Kyler totally flounders next year, but the implications of it would be massive. It would set us up for 2024 & 2025 off-seasons exactly like this one.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do that when you need to rebuild. You don't do that when you have the draft capital needed to fill the holes in your roster (WR next year) that help make you a contender. Never, ever punt on trying to be a contender just for more picks next year. What, you want to trade out "for a haul" every season? Like, there comes a time when picks are just picks and you need impact players.
Uh, we need to rebuild like nobody's business. We just got started on the process.

What you're advocating is roughly akin to pass on Fitz for a "haul" trade back. No thanks. I'll take the guy that has future star written all over him.
People here said the exact same thing about Anderson. We are a better team because of the trade at this point IMO. Or should I say setup better to be successful in the future.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Not if you are still adding "blue chip" talents.

Give me Marvin Harrison Jr. and Jared Verse. Verse is Anderson Jr. with actual bend.

Imagine this scenario: Cardinals end up with #2 and #3. Caleb Williams goes #1. The Cardinals are now sitting on the pick that could be used to draft Drake Maye, a player with a massive ceiling. The Bucanneers are sitting at #4.

The Raiders are sitting at #5. They know they have no shot at Drake Maye unless they send out a massive package, and they are fairly comfortable with doing so because they already have pieces on their team to be successful. The Cardinals pull the trigger, move to #5 and get 2 1sts, 2 2nds, and 2 3rds. The Cardinals then draft the best ILB in the draft...er Jared Verse.

In one fell swoop the Cardinals walk away from round one with the best WR to come out in probably a decade and the best pass rusher since Nick Bosa came out. And they have 2nd second round picks and 3 3rd round picks to use. That's seven picks in the top 75. That could be franchise altering and all it took was passing on Anderson.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Not if you are still adding "blue chip" talents.

Give me Marvin Harrison Jr. and Jared Verse. Verse is Anderson Jr. with actual bend.

Imagine this scenario: Cardinals end up with #2 and #3. Caleb Williams goes #1. The Cardinals are now sitting on the pick that could be used to draft Drake Maye, a player with a massive ceiling. The Bucanneers are sitting at #4.

The Raiders are sitting at #5. They know they have no shot at Drake Maye unless they send out a massive package, and they are fairly comfortable with doing so because they already have pieces on their team to be successful. The Cardinals pull the trigger, move to #5 and get 2 1sts, 2 2nds, and 2 3rds. The Cardinals then draft the best ILB in the draft...er Jared Verse.

In one fell swoop the Cardinals walk away from round one with the best WR to come out in probably a decade and the best pass rusher since Nick Bosa came out. And they have 2nd second round picks and 3 3rd round picks to use. That's seven picks in the top 75. That could be franchise altering and all it took was passing on Anderson.
I love this scenario -- just replace Verse with Kool Aid! I don't see Verse as a generational pass rush prospect, but time could prove me wrong.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I love this scenario -- just replace Verse with Kool Aid!
I'm a pass rush then corner kind of guy.

If the Cardinals have two 2nd round picks, and three 3rd round picks, just trade back up into the end of the 1st round and get a 1st round corner. Players like Jared Verse are rarely available in round two.

I love what the Dolphins did with the Laremy Tunsil trade. They turned Tunsil into a ridiculous number of picks.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
If he doesn’t play next year or looks somewhat decent post injury he’ll have trade value. That team would only be on the hook for a year before they’d be able to get out of it should it backfire. I mean look at some of the starting QB’s right now.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
If he doesn’t play next year or looks somewhat decent post injury he’ll have trade value. That team would only be on the hook for a year before they’d be able to get out of it should it backfire. I mean look at some of the starting QB’s right now.
A trade would definitely help matters - his 2024 salary is $37M, and I don't think any bonus money is guaranteed, so there would still be a huge negative net salary cap charge, but a whole lot better than $81M!

If your scenario (doesn't play at all or plays decent), I'm skeptical another team would want to take on his contract. Here is the actual cash outlay the team would have to pay once they acquired him:
2024 - $38.9M
2025 - $32.6M
2026 - $42.5M
2027 - $36.4M
2028 - $46.4M (though no dead cap money)

Given the way the market is moving, that might not look so bad come 2024 and beyond, I just don't think anyone will want to invest in Kyler with franchise QB money at that point.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Moving on from Kyler after this season would be a lot more bold move than moving on from Rosen after one season, given the unprecedented salary cap implications. Not saying it would be the wrong move, if Kyler totally flounders next year, but the implications of it would be massive. It would set us up for 2024 & 2025 off-seasons exactly like this one.
It would be bold.
But what reduces the pinch is not only the mass of picks we have in 24 draft..... but the fact that unless kyler just totally stinks it up this season we should get a minimum of 2 firsts for him...which keeps us supplied in young top end talent for a couple more years.
Look what denver paid for washed...err...Russ

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
It would be bold.
But what reduces the pinch is not only the mass of picks we have in 24 draft..... but the fact that unless kyler just totally stinks it up this season we should get a minimum of 2 firsts for him...which keeps us supplied in young top end talent for a couple more years.
Look what denver paid for washed...err...Russ
And for the record, if you asked me today who I would most prefer to be the QB of the Cardinals in week 1 of the 2024-2025 season, my answer would be Caleb Williams.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave