Peter King: Arizona Owns 2024

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is from Peter King's Football Morning in America May 1st Issue:

Arizona Owns 2024​

The new Arizona GM, Monti Ossenfort, got off to an inauspicious start Thursday, having to admit he erred by making a phone call to Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon outside the permitted time for contacting coaching candidates during the playoffs. The Cardinals paid a 28-slot penalty in round three, moving down from 66 to 94 with Philadelphia as part of Ossenfort’s penance. “I made a mistake. I own that,” he said. After that, he had a strong weekend.

Ossenfort, with more holes to plug than any GM in football, made three trades in the first 34 picks—with Houston, Detroit and Tennessee. The upshot: Ossenfort traded the third overall pick, plus picks in the second, fourth and fifth rounds. In return, he got pick six (tackle Paris Johnson), pick 41 (linebacker BJ Ojulari) and pick 72 (cornerback Garrett Williams), plus a first-round pick in 2024 and two third-round picks in 2024.

The Cardinals now are scheduled to own a league-high six picks in the first three rounds next year, and the first-rounders could be pure gold. PFF data analyst Timo Riske reported that after simulating the 2023 season 10,000 times, Arizona and Houston were favored to be the two worst teams in the NFL this season. Each team, PFF said, has a 46 percent chance to have a top-five pick in the draft next year—which would mean, of course, that Arizona would have two of the top five picks in the draft next year.

Think what that could mean. Clearly, it would leave Arizona as the leader in the clubhouse for the top pick in the draft, or the ability to deal for the top pick, which could be a great quarterback—maybe Caleb Williams of USC or North Carolina’s Drake Maye. That, of course, puts pressure on Kyler Murray with a new coaching staff and administration and coming off knee surgery, to show he’s a premier player when he returns sometime this fall.

Ossenfort told me Saturday night he didn’t go into the draft with a plan to deal for so much 2024 draft currency—that’s just the way the trades fell. He did admit he made the first deal with Houston with the idea of trading back up. “It was important with that first trade to retain the option to move back up,” he said. And that, of course, was for Ohio State tackle Paris Johnson, the best tackle in the draft. The Cardinals got him at six, just ahead of the Raiders, who may have taken Johnson at seven.

One more point. If Arizona, Houston and Tennessee all struggle next year and all finish below .500, the Cardinals would have six picks in the top 75, including two early in the first round. Ossenfort may not have gone into this draft with an intention of owning the 2024 draft, but that’s exactly how it turned out.

Last edited:

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
That's if they pick the right players in 2024; something I'd have to see to believe. I want to see a season. Everything wrong with the NFL. And yet they'll probably mess tanking up.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Although happy about all of the trades. It may have sealed my decision to not get sunday ticket.

I'll let the summer play out a little more though before I fully decide.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought we were tied to Kyler for the next two seasons due to the money and dead cap hits involved?

Spotrac has some pretty insane numbers listed for both 2024 and 2025 so it may actually be 3 seasons.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought we were tied to Kyler for the next two seasons due to the money and dead cap hits involved?

Spotrac has some pretty insane numbers listed for both 2024 and 2025 so it may actually be 3 seasons.

If Caleb is THAT QB, the team can make it work.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You can't cut Kyler but you can still trade him. And because of his contract, the receiving team of the trade actually gets him on a value QB deal.

You eat 46 mil which is almost all of the cap space, but there is not a free agent next year on our roster really worth signing (maybe Brown) and he Cardinals can free up 28 mil cutting Budda and Hop. They can also free up 28.3 mil cutting Prater, Gardeck, Ertz, Conner, and Humphries.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I agree with those who say there is pressure on Kyler because of these picks. If Caleb is the amazing prospect people say he is, you can't pass on him for a QB who is 26 (turning 27 before the 2024 season) and falls in the 8-14 category for NFL QBs.

If Caleb is THAT QB, the team can make it work.

Yeah the Caleb Williams mania is starting to get a little out of control. He'll probably be a starting QB, but his passer rating with QB whisperer Riley and in Riley's QB friendly system was pedestrian compared to similar QBs Murray, Tugovailoa and Hurts.

1. Williams (Oklahoma) 2021 = 169.6
1. Williams (USC) 2022 = 168.5

2. Murray 2018 = 199.2

3. Tugovaloa 2018 = 199.4
3. Tugovailoa 2019 = 206.9

4. Hurts 2018 (Alabama) = 196.7
4. Hurts 2019 (Oklahoma) = 191.2

I'm not saying Williams won't in 2023 post a better mark in his 3rd season as a starter, but let's please not put him in the NFL HOF yet. Thanks.

Last edited:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Although happy about all of the trades. It may have sealed my decision to not get sunday ticket.

I'll let the summer play out a little more though before I fully decide.
Agreed. I'll save up for next season.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My hope is Kyler takes the necessary steps once he back and we land one of the 2 picks in thr top spot and take someone's entire day 1 and 2 in both 24 and 25. Two straight seasons of multiple 1st, second and 3rd rounders will set this team up with a $50 million QB, especially if we can get MHJ too.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yeah the Caleb Williams mania is starting to get a little out of control. He'll probably be a starting QB, but his his passer rating with QB whisperer Riley and in Riley's QB friendly system was pedestrian compared to similar QBs Murray, Tugovailoa and Hurts.

1. Williams (Oklahoma) 2021 = 169.6
1. Williams (USC) 2022 = 168.5

2. Murray 2018 = 199.2

3. Tugovaloa 2018 = 199.4
3. Tugovailoa 2019 = 206.9

4. Hurts 2018 (Alabama) = 196.7
4. Hurts 2019 (Oklahoma) = 191.2

I'm not saying Williams won't in 2023 post a better mark in his 3rd season as a starter, but let's please not put him in the NFL HOF yet. Thanks.
there are more factors than just passer rating. it could well be a good move to grab a lesser passer that has better leadership and work ethic... the "IT" factor is hard to define

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My hope is Kyler takes the necessary steps once he back and we land one of the 2 picks in thr top spot and take someone's entire day 1 and 2 in both 24 and 25. Two straight seasons of multiple 1st, second and 3rd rounders will set this team up with a $50 million QB, especially if we can get MHJ too.
I would assume this is plan A and plan B is trading Kyler if he doesn't work out. I have a feeling Kyler is going to step up though. No real reasoning behind that other than he sure as hell should have the motivation to do it now.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would assume this is plan A and plan B is trading Kyler if he doesn't work out. I have a feeling Kyler is going to step up though. No real reasoning behind that other than he sure as hell should have the motivation to do it now.
Agreed 100%

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I feel like this is most likely.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They seem all in on him. Kyler seems energizer by it. Mopey Kyler seems to be gone. Bar him completely sucking this year I think we stick with him.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think it's very apparent that Kyler is much happier now, than probably anytime in AZ. He seems much more engaged...that's either from maturing (likely) or from having the Kliff monkey off his back (also likely).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose