UDFAs

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Here’s what I see so far.
UDFAs can at least marginally change a draft.

Blake Whiteheart mike make the practice squad as a blocking TE. He is very raw, but fits the nasty attitude blockers need. He’ll have to work hard to improve technique, but he has the tenacity. His frame has room to bulk up more. He wasn’t used much in the passing game until his senior year. He has good hands, but little speed.

The Cards surprisingly guaranteed $200K to sign Jacob Slade. He’s an anchor DT, but didn’t even play in all their games. I don’t see much here, except a few people think he might be moved to guard where apparently he played in high school.

Emari Demercado has a long shot chance to make the practice squad as a return guy. He’s a very small back and not explosive, so he won’t see much time at RB. His numbers look okay, but the offensive scheme exaggerated them.

Kyle Soelle will be trying to make a dent as a special teams’ player. He a sure tackler, but lacks speed. He does have a good motor.

Kendall Brooks might be the most interesting player signed in this category. He’s a safety who tackles unusually well and causes a fair number of fumbles. He ran 4.44 at his Pro Day. A good motor helped him record 100 tackles last season. He’s better against the run but is developing as a pass defender. He’s best playing downhill. I’ll be very surprised if he doesn’t at least make the practice squad. He started in division II and then beat the odds in the Portal. He just keeps using his drive to get better.

Matt Hembrough fills a major Cardinal need. He’s a long snapper who was a finalist for the Patrick Mannelly Award, the top LS award. I seldom use the word “perfect”, but Hembrough was perfect on over 550 naps. He snapped for all types of kicks. At his Pro Day he did 22 lift reps. A very impressive total for and LS.

Quavian White CB is small and likely just a camp body. He plays hard, but at 5’8” he’s overwhelmed by talented, big receivers. He does have good hans and is a bit of a ballhawk.

Marvin Pierre LB had a solid Pro Day that merited an invitation. He is a long shot to play special teams. He has a good motor and a solid tackler. He’s fairly adept at penetrating the line of scrimmage.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matt Hembrough fills a major Cardinal need. He’s a long snapper who was a finalist for the Patrick Mannelly Award, the top LS award. I seldom use the word “perfect”, but Hembrough was perfect on over 550 naps. He snapped for all types of kicks. At his Pro Day he did 22 lift reps. A very impressive total for and LS.
Thanks for the input

Much appreciated :thumbup:

I especially like this guy as we need a young LS and this guy sounds good

I would hope we would bring in a P and K to challenge

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input

Much appreciated :thumbup:

I especially like this guy as we need a young LS and this guy sounds good

I would hope we would bring in a P and K to challenge
Considering Nolan Cooney is the only punter in the roster, I agree.

Also, a few good kickers about to get cut after teams drafting some.

Joe Fortunato being the only LS on the roster, this makes sense too.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I wonder what XFL/USFL players will find their way in to camp. I figure there will be a couple at least, they probably have as good a chance as any undrafted player.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like we are at 81 players as of this moment with draft picks and UDFAs. We can stilll add 9 players. We haven't announced any UDFA try outs yet either.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Quick note on Joel Honigford, TE. He came to college is as an offensive lineman, so blocking is his strength. Keep in mind Michigan has a great history of developing offensive linemen. He just wasn’t big enough to play on the line. However with only 19 reps, he also needs to add power. He has a little speed if you think lineman (4.96), but is not much of an athlete. However, he’s a really good run blocker technique-wise. 550 of his snaps had him run blocking. He only caught 1 pass in his career. He should be a good special trams player. At least 3 teams, the Saints, the Commanders & the Lions, brought him in for an interview. I couldn’t confirm the Cards did. When he enters a game the defense will think run. He fits this Cardinal draft of role players. I’m not certain you can make a team of these guys, but it should be interesting to watch.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I'm not going to get too excited about the backup RB from TCU and backup TE from Michigan, but hopefully they prove me wrong (both of the guys they were backing up were drafted, FWIW).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose