In Monti We Trust

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really have no complaints. I said I would give Monti a fair chance and I will stick to that. He's basically drafting with Keim's guys in place. There will be scouting turnover in the coming week, or so, and then Monti will have the chance to hire his own scouts and fully implement his own system. This is why they are planning for 2024 to be a jumping off point, IMO.

And it gives them a chance to see if any of these 1 year deals are worth keeping around for 24. I feel this could be a quick turnaround. Still some major holes at DT, C and a #1 CB. These could all be addressed in the first 2 round next year it others develop this year.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
And it gives them a chance to see if any of these 1 year deals are worth keeping around for 24. I feel this could be a quick turnaround. Still some major holes at DT, C and a #1 CB. These could all be addressed in thr first 2 round next year it others develop this year.
This! Also, none of these 1 year deals have a lot of guaranteed money that will screw the cap. Let's say it just happens that Paris comes out and takes over RT this year in camp...If Beach doesn't want to be a backup, you just move on from him. Same with some of the LB's brought in.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
pretty obvious the "The Plan" is that 2023 is a reset year where things bottom out.

I appreciate that Monti embraced delayed gratification -- taking the hit this year in order to get more next year.

Very interested to see the UDFAs -- i would think D lineman, RBs and WRs (and maybe everyone else) would view the Cards as a really good spot to get a roster spot

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agree 2023 is a red shirt year. We have a ton of picks next draft with the ability based on draft position and other needy QB teams to give us more. Right now I want WR Harrison from OSU.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
And it gives them a chance to see if any of these 1 year deals are worth keeping around for 24. I feel this could be a quick turnaround. Still some major holes at DT, C and a #1 CB. These could all be addressed in the first 2 round next year it others develop this year.
That seems contradictory, to say the least. If those 1-year deals are worth keeping around, we will then pay through the nose on what could have been super cheap guys, indicating we couldn't accurately assess their true worth in FA this year. We shall see.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In regard to the draft, I'm feeling like I got a lot to eat at the buffet, but wish I had gone for the steak instead. Only time will tell.

I like the added draft picks in the 2024 draft.

I think the Cardinals drafted the same players they would have drafted had they stayed where they were.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals drafted the same players they would have drafted had they stayed where they were.

My guess is that it was a mix where montis influence waned the further the draft went on and had to rely more on current scouts and system. Maybe we’ll never know.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
I am catching up after loading my car on a ferry in the Philippines on a long trip.

I wanted our chance at a blue chip player - will have to see how next year draft goes to see if trade was good or not. Trading back up - was my needed - I think they overvalued Paris - but only time will tell. I think the grade would be the same trades or no trades - don't see all the extra value peeps trying to sale

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am catching up after loading my car on a ferry in the Philippines on a long trip.

I wanted our chance at a blue chip player - will have to see how next year draft goes to see if trade was good or not. Trading back up - was my needed - I think they overvalued Paris - but only time will tell. I think the grade would be the same trades or no trades - don't see all the extra value peeps trying to sale

Word is that the Raiders were super high on Paris and that he was their pick at #7. Which is why we moved back up to #6.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think the Cardinals would have drafted differently if they stayed put, but they moved around, so they could draft the players they preferred and pick up assets in return. There is nothing wrong with that as long as they picked up near comparable value.

If they stayed put at #3, I don't think they could have passed on Will Anderson Jr.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Word is that the Raiders were super high on Paris and that he was their pick at #7. Which is why we moved back up to #6.
For years, Cardinals fans have called for the team to make OL a priority and I'm glad they did.

Paris has really good upside; if you watch his tape, it's fairly uneven, but he was still probably the best OL in the draft.

What I mean is that he has lots of holes in his game, but his natural traits are good enough that he still is a very good player.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
For years, Cardinals fans have called for the team to make OL a priority and I'm glad they did.

Paris has really good upside; if you watch his tape, it's fairly uneven, but he was still probably the best OL in the draft.

What I mean is that he has lots of holes in his game, but his natural traits are good enough that he still is a very good player.
That is particularly rich in this year's draft. Someone can legitimately say they ignored OL priorities in this draft. A tackle wasn't a priority. Sure, he could play guard, but then you drafted a G at pick 6. And we still have Frodo Baggins as our starting center when there was a bounty of good prospects at the position. I would argue they didn't make OL enough of a priority.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is particularly rich in this year's draft. Someone can legitimately say they ignored OL priorities in this draft. A tackle wasn't a priority. Sure, he could play guard, but then you drafted a G at pick 6. And we still have Frodo Baggins as our starting center when there was a bounty of good prospects at the position. I would argue they didn't make OL enough of a priority.

Do you not think we need a tackle?

You could argue it's not desperate right now but going forward it's a major need. Hump is 30 this year. Beachum is 34 in June and likely only has a year left in him. Josh Jones is likely gone after this year in search of a starting gig.

That's really all we have. Come next year we might need to draft another tackle with only Paris and Hump on the roster.

I know we speculated about him playing Guard but we don't know that. I'd like to see him take the RT job. Many LT's start out on the right before moving. Beachum is a reliable, cheap backup swing tackle that can play both sides.

I'd like to see Hayes earn the LG spot. We all though he looked good in preseason last year and he's had a solid year to do nothing but train.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Do you not think we need a tackle?

You could argue it's not desperate right now but going forward it's a major need. Hump is 30 this year. Beachum is 34 in June and likely only has a year left in him. Josh Jones is likely gone after this year in search of a starting gig.

That's really all we have. Come next year we might need to draft another tackle with only Paris and Hump on the roster.

I know we speculated about him playing Guard but we don't know that. I'd like to see him take the RT job. Many LT's start out on the right before moving. Beachum is a reliable, cheap backup swing tackle that can play both sides.

I'd like to see Hayes earn the LG spot. We all though he looked good in preseason last year and he's had a solid year to do nothing but train.
Left tackle and players who can play it are a priority. The Cardinals should have 4 decent to good players now on the OL and have a decent crew or backups and developmental players.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose