Isaiah Simmons and the 5th year option

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Still want to see Simmons at WSLB and just let him hunt the QB. Enough with the jack of all trades stuff and be an expert at one

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BJ Ojulari doesn't make things easier for Simmons as BJ fits the WOLB role IMO. I can't see them picking up his option. As @AsUpRoDiGy said, 10 mil guarantee to a guy who you don't know what to do with is not a likely scenario.
My guess is they were waiting to see if any moves were made with him or budda and who they got in the draft. Not getting picked up now. Only positive I can come up with is we will get a hell of a comp pick when he blows up and gets a big deal after next year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My guess is they were waiting to see if any moves were made with him or budda and who they got in the draft. Not getting picked up now. Only positive I can come up with is we will get a hell of a comp pick when he blows up and gets a big deal after next year.
If the Cardinals don't pick up his option, I don't believe it means they will let him walk. I do feel like this team is not going to pay premium dollars for non-pass-rushing LBs so that is working against him. In the end, you have to see more of Simmons as a DC to start figuring out how best to use him in your scheme.

Sucks to lose a cost protected year, but the problem with taking a non-ILB in round 1 is that his 5th year contract makes him a top player at his position so your savings is more limited.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If the Cardinals don't pick up his option, I don't believe it means they will let him walk. I do feel like this team is not going to pay premium dollars for non-pass-rushing LBs so that is working against him. In the end, you have to see more of Simmons as a DC to start figuring out how best to use him in your scheme.

Sucks to lose a cost protected year, but the problem with taking a non-ILB in round 1 is that his 5th year contract makes him a top player at his position so your savings is more limited.
The reason we’re having this conversation is that Simmons hasn’t been the player we were hoping for at a position that is among the easiest to transition to the NFL.

It sucks, but that’s the reality.

Can’t wait to have this conversation again next year only about Zaven Collins.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The reason we’re having this conversation is that Simmons hasn’t been the player we were hoping for at a position that is among the easiest to transition to the NFL.

It sucks, but that’s the reality.

Can’t wait to have this conversation again next year only about Zaven Collins.
Agree.

The only way I really see Simmons staying is if they change his position. I agree with @DVontel in that it is easier to say than do. Not too many natural fits for him with what he has shown so far.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

And the Cardinals already have one possible in house replacement in Pappoe. I was happy the Cardinals finally dipped into the "Day Three Athletic LB" pool. I know I've seen you advocate this in the past, and I totally agree with it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Quite the log jam at LB. Kyzir White is likely to start at the WILL like he did in Philly last year. Ojulari will have to earn it, but he is likely to battle for the SAM spot ala Reddick. That creates only one open LB spot, MIKE. My current assumption is that Simmons and Collins will battle for that.

Complete flip would be the Cardinals to keep a 3-4 base. I don't know that it would change much tho.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Also, for the Simmons/Collins tracker, keep in mind that Pappoe started at MIKE at Auburn so that is likely the spot he will be competing for.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Quite the log jam at LB. Kyzir White is likely to start at the WILL like he did in Philly last year. Ojulari will have to earn it, but he is likely to battle for the SAM spot ala Reddick. That creates only one open LB spot, MIKE. My current assumption is that Simmons and Collins will battle for that.

Complete flip would be the Cardinals to keep a 3-4 base. I don't know that it would change much tho.
We really don't have the DL personnel to run an effective 4-3 up front right now; we have Cam Thomas as a traditional end and nothing else. Sanders and Ojulari are more OLBers in the 3-4 alignment.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We really don't have the DL personnel to run an effective 4-3 up front right now; we have Cam Thomas as a traditional end and nothing else. Sanders and Ojulari are more OLBers in the 3-4 alignment.
4-3 DE is an easy vet FA fill this year so I don't believe it is a big issue.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Agree.

The only way I really see Simmons staying is if they change his position. I agree with @DVontel in that it is easier to say than do. Not too many natural fits for him with what he has shown so far.
It would be madness to prioritize finding a fit for your enigmatic pick in a contract year over instilling a long-term solution.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It would be madness to prioritize finding a fit for your enigmatic pick in a contract year over instilling a long-term solution.
My counter-point is that there are so few long-term solutions on this roster, I feel there are areas you could play around with.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is Simmons worth $12.7 million to spend in 2024. That would be the cap hit and also the savings per spotrac.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
So, our last 4 draft picks are playing different positions with Cardinals and the first three have failed with us.

Hasaan Reddick - OLB/DE to ILB
Isaiah Simmons - Hybrid to ILB to Safety
Zaven Collins - ILB to OLB or DE?
Paris Johnston - LT to ? (not LT)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I was sure they would go 4-3 with the signing of Kyzir but all their moves suggest 3-4.

Ojulari is a wide 9. Stiles us 285lb 3 tech. Collier likely plays 3 tech. Sanders better suits a 3-4.

Nothing about the D front guys we have says 4-3.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Teams only take 5th year options when they offer value and looking at the contracts LBs got this year it doesn't.

If Simmons it FA this offseason it likely would have got around $7m tops.

I'd be surprised if they took it.