2023 4th round pick #122 is Jon Gaines II G

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ESPN liked him….Can play across line….Two publications I am reading don’t have him listed as a potential pick…

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
ESPN liked him….Can play across line….Two publications I am reading don’t have him listed as a potential pick…
The Athletic's Beast guide has him listed as the #10 Guard.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mediocre player with poor balance. He’s chiefly a drive blocker in the run game. I don’t see any center potential. He’s smart enough to know proper positioning and technique, but doesn’t display them. I can only conclude he just doesn’t care. I’m sorry to say it but since round 1 this draft makes to sense to me.

Attachments

• IMG_3387.jpeg
    IMG_3387.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 14

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not excited by this pick. I don't see him as an upgrade on Smith. First pick which is... For me...bleh.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
He was a good drive blocker in college, but he’ll have to bulk up to do that in the NFL.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Feel like Gaines is going to be center.

Played there before, including the Shrine bowl. Athletic. Highly intelligent. High football IQ.

I think that's what they want at center.

This isn't us converting a guard. He can already do it and only played G due to the UCLA roster makeup.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Feel like Gaines is going to be center.

Played there before, including the Shrine bowl. Athletic. Highly intelligent. High football IQ.

I think that's what they want at center.

This isn't us converting a guard. He can already do it and only played G due to the UCLA roster makeup.
He's not a Center. He's a Guard. He's only temporarily subbed at playing Center. He would 100% have to be converted to play Center. Why do that when we can draft an actual Center?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I dig, he seems like he played well at center. The 2 games he started at center in 21 were the 2nd and 3rd highest scoring games of their season. It was also two of their better rushing games. He didn't play center in the regular season in 22.

Starter in all 12 games along the offensive line ... started the first two games of the season at center ... started at tackle against Utah and at guard in the remaining games ... helped pave the way for the Bruins to average over 200 yards per game on the ground for the second straight season (215.1) and produce a 1,000-yard rusher in Zach Charbonnet (1,137) ... first time since 1987-86-85 seasons that UCLA has achieved consecutive 200-plus yard rushing seasons ... UCLA ranked 17th nationally in rushing offense ...Bruins led the Pac-12 in scoring (36.5).

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Mediocre player with poor balance. He’s chiefly a drive blocker in the run game. I don’t see any center potential. He’s smart enough to know proper positioning and technique, but doesn’t display them. I can only conclude he just doesn’t care. I’m sorry to say it but since round 1 this draft makes to sense to me.
I actually like his teammate Mafi better & he won’t go til 5, 6 or 7

Tacticool Nerd

Veteran
Reaction score
He's not a Center. He's a Guard. He's only temporarily subbed at playing Center. He would 100% have to be converted to play Center. Why do that when we can draft an actual Center?
He did play Center at the Shrine Bowl where NFL coaches were able to coach and see how he did in person.

As I said before in another thread. Wait and see.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave