Your Day 1 Cardinals grade?

Day one Cardinal's grade?

• Total voters

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They must be counting the Rodgers trade for the Jets, because I thought Will McDonald was a reach at #15 given the other guys on the board. I know Rodgers has worked out with Corey Davis and Garrett Wilson is there, but I would have put money on Smith-Njigba at this spot.

I know Seattle is a trendy winner pick, and I like both of the players they got, but as I put in another thread I was really surprised they went with Witherspoon in the top 5 after drafting two really good CBs last year. If Witherspoon turns out to be all-pro then so be it, but I felt like Carter or Wilson would have filled a much bigger need with a premium prospect.

At the odds McDonald has for DROTY and the Jets saying they are going to let him loose from a wide 9 position I think he's worth a cheeky bet.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
At the odds McDonald has for DROTY and the Jets saying they are going to let him loose from a wide 9 position I think he's worth a cheeky bet.
McDonald has intriguing traits, so I don't hate it, just thought #15 was a reach. I feel like all you can really judge at this point is value against consensus opinion - I don't recall seeing much of anyone project McDonald to go that high. Doesn't mean he won't end up looking like a major steal when all is said and done.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As I posted before trade Indy had decided to stay put and take best available QB

We couldn’t have convinced them there was another trade partner. I mean we did but they already selected a qb. Swap picks and a get a 7th from them.. anything..

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I agree they did well. Acho only mentions QBs though. Cards ain't going to be in on a QB next year. They are all in on Kyler and they can't get out of the deal.

Which is great for us because we could have multiple 1sts for years. That Texans pick could become even more.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
We should have stayed at #12 and then taken Christian Gonzales. Then with our two second round picks we could have selected
O'Cyrus Torrence and
John Michael Schmitz. We would have had three starters on day one and strengthened the OL

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I agree they did well. Acho only mentions QBs though. Cards ain't going to be in on a QB next year. They are all in on Kyler and they can't get out of the deal.

Which is great for us because we could have multiple 1sts for years. That Texans pick could become even more.
We absolutely can be in on a QB next year... its not optimal... but if they aint happy with kyler they can trade him and eat dead money with a new QB on a rookie deal...
Send him to dallas...just remind jerry that kyler has never lost in that stadium.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
the draft had a Philly feel to it

1. They love drafting offensive lineman one year before they need them -- and it seems they always have a functional offensive line

2. They also like to move up and down and end up with more picks than they started with.
Except we drafted an offensive lineman a year later than we needed him.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Except we drafted an offensive lineman a year later than we needed him.
We drafted Jones early. He plays decent at LT...
Right now if i were the coach i would be thinking...
Hump
Jones
Rookie TBD
Hernandez
Paris Johnson

Beachum is a swing tackle so having him in reserve is good, especially with his age.

Next year we draft a LG, kick Jones out to LT and see if we can get a third for the final year of Humps contract... starting LT is hard to find.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
We should have stayed at #12 and then taken Christian Gonzales. Then with our two second round picks we could have selected
O'Cyrus Torrence and
John Michael Schmitz. We would have had three starters on day one and strengthened the OL

And it was totally obvious all that would happen when we made the deal at #6, right?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
With a lot more thought given, I have raised my grade to an A, even though I still feel we might have been able to do even better.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
I think he did pretty great...got arguably the highest rated OL, moved up one spot in the 2nd, and most importantly picked up a 1st & 3rd from Houston next year. Let's hope Stroud struggles, the Texans flounder, go 6-11 or 5-12, and that 1st rounder is a Top-10 pick...which will pair nicely with the #1 overall pick that the 2023 Cardinals can most certainly earn.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Hump
Jones
Rookie TBD
Hernandez
Paris Johnson

Beachum is a swing tackle so having him in reserve is good, especially with his age.

Next year we draft a LG, kick Jones out to LT and see if we can get a third for the final year of Humps contract... starting LT is hard to find.
Except Jones was horrible at guard. He played his best at LT. It remains to be seen if Johnson is better at guard or tackle.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Except Jones was horrible at guard. He played his best at LT. It remains to be seen if Johnson is better at guard or tackle.
Jones was horrible at RIGHT Guard...as well as RIGHT Tackle... seems the issue with him wasnt moving inside, but swapping sides...that indicates he should be fine at LG

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hump
Jones
Rookie TBD
Hernandez
Paris Johnson

yeah i think the jones playing decent at LT is more urban myth than reality. he played acceptably with LOTS OF HELP. everyone seems to forget that last part. he rarely played on an island. and it wasn't great when he did, hence the constant help.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
yeah i think the jones playing decent at LT is more urban myth than reality. he played acceptably with LOTS OF HELP. everyone seems to forget that last part. he rarely played on an island. and it wasn't great when he did, hence the constant help.
All the more reason to put him at LG

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I felt like the first round was a poor grade by not taking Anderson and then ultimately reaching for a player. They did get some picks which helped them retain a D grade.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
All the more reason to put him at LG

I hope he proves me wrong, but I'm another in the camp who is not enamored at all with Josh Jones, and I think it's dangerous to count on him for starter's minutes at any position other than LT.

I'll disagree with Ouchie a little and give Jones credit for an acceptable performance for several games at LT (which is curious (at least to me) because it was in such stark contrast to his performance at RT, where I thought he was cover-your-eyes bad).

I guess he has some trade value, and could be DJ's back up for this year, but I don't see how he otherwise fits in the Cardinal's long term plans.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I hope he proves me wrong, but I'm another in the camp who is not enamored at all with Josh Jones, and I think it's dangerous to count on him for starter's minutes at any position other than LT.

I'll disagree with Ouchie a little and give Jones credit for an acceptable performance for several games at LT (which is curious (at least to me) because it was in such stark contrast to his performance at RT, where he was cover-your-eyes bad).

I guess he has some trade value, and could be DJ's back up for this year, but I don't see how he otherwise fits in the Cardinal's long term plans.
I thought Jones played pretty well at LT. It wasn't a huge trouble spot when Humphries went down.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He was fine. Not a guy I want there long term, but in the near term, Jones offers really good flexibility for both tackle spots. Few teams actually have a swing tackle of his caliber waiting in the wings for an injury.

Now with Paris Johnson, the Cardinals tackle group looks pretty solid on paper.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson