Best available day two

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cornerback Joey Porter, Notre Dame. Clearly my favorite pick. Big surprise to me that he did not go as CB3. Day one starter and tonesetter.

Edge rusher Derick Hall, Auburn. Fits Gannon- and Rallis' (presumable) scheme very well.

Center Steve Avila, TCU. Very strong. Could be day one starter.

Center John Michael Schmitz, Minnesota. Not as strong as Avila, but more technically sound. Thus, might be a better Bill Callahan- (probable Drew Petzing-inspirator) fit.

Defensive tackle Keeanu Benton, Wisconsin. Fit as Gannon's new Jordan Davis-type.

Cornerback Cam Smith, South Carolina. Really good and solid player. Could stabilize the cornerback-group. But give me Porter.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cornerback Joey Porter, Notre Dame. Clearly my favorite pick. Big surprise to me that he did not go as CB3. Day one starter and tonesetter.

Edge rusher Derick Hall, Auburn. Fits Gannon- and Rallis' (presumable) scheme very well.

Center Steve Avila, TCU. Very strong. Could be day one starter.

Center John Michael Schmitz, Minnesota. Not as strong as Avila, but more technically sound. Thus, might be a better Bill Callahan- (probable Drew Petzing-inspirator) fit.

Defensive tackle Keeanu Benton, Wisconsin. Fit as Gannon's new Jordan Davis-type.

Cornerback Cam Smith, South Carolina. Really good and solid player. Could stabilize the cornerback-group. But give me Porter.
We desperately need a center. We need to put together an offensive line and surround Kyler with a group of players for him to succeed…and remove any excuses if he doesn’t.

I don’t know which guy is the best center out there, but we need to take him. Establish an identity on offense. Let’s improve protection AND the running game.

We can fix everything this year. Get the center and in addition to that grab a big play rb to compliment Connor. If we trade Hopkins we will need to pick up another one.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
We desperately need a center. We need to put together an offensive line and surround Kyler with a group of players for him to succeed…and remove any excuses if he doesn’t.

I don’t know which guy is the best center out there, but we need to take him. Establish an identity on offense. Let’s improve protection AND the running game.

We can fix everything this year. Get the center and in addition to that grab a big play rb to compliment Connor. If we trade Hopkins we will need to pick up another one.
Cards will get one but no need to be desperate.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree. I would rather them wait or I would prefer they address the center position in free agency (this year or next). But since they have decided to pretty much sit on their hands this year, it will probably have to be next year.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. I would rather them wait or I would prefer they address the center position in free agency (this year or next). But since they have decided to pretty much sit on their hands this year, it will probably have to be next year.
Disagree. We have an opportunity to add a center and finally put this position to rest for the next 10 years. In addition to that this line can start developing some chemistry immediately and get ready for for Kyler’s return.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Disagree. We have an opportunity to add a center and finally put this position to rest for the next 10 years. In addition to that this line can start developing some chemistry immediately and get ready for for Kyler’s return.
I think any of the top 5 guys could do that, extremely deep pool.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
@Harry can correct me if I am wrong but DT is pretty thin from here on out. Benton, Ika, and Young/Roy and I feel it drops off.

A player who will be interesting is Keion White. He is listed as an EDGE but is 285. If you think he can hold up as a 3T is an even front, he is intriguing.

I have been on record saying I like JMS. I think this is the spot to get him. Maybe the Cardinals get a trade package for Levis that is worth moving back but if not, I stick and pick Schmitz.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They can't fit every hole in the draft and they would be silly to force it.

Don't be surprised if they don't pick up a center. Ben Jones is still out there in FA if that happens. He can fill a hole for a year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Matthew Bergeron is a really good player as well. Tough to pass on him personally. @Harry not sure what you have heard but he fits the tough/physical mold needing refinement ala Paris Johnson as well.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree, Harry. I feel like Joey Porter has very, very good value at this spot, and they could most like find a C, who is also a good value pick, later on - for example with one of their many third round picks.

I don't know if you like Porter, but the point is to take the better value here, and come back to solve another problem later. And certainly, if that value pick is a C, and then a CB or else later, then that is just as fine.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Value is in they eye of the beholder. Many of the players still available were rated to go in the first round and were passed over by 30 teams.
I don’t give a damn if Mel Kiper has player A rated as the 19th best player in the draft.
Just come out of this draft with solidifying this o-line and Johnson isn’t quite enough.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Value is in they eye of the beholder. Many of the players still available were rated to go in the first round and were passed over by 30 teams.
I don’t give a damn if Mel Kiper has player A rated as the 19th best player in the draft.
Just come out of this draft with solidifying this o-line and Johnson isn’t quite enough.
Very important thing to remember. Many posters judge a pick by Kiper's or Jeremiah's evaluation. They are neither team specific, nor necessarily the same as what other scouts think.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I just don’t want to settle. i want a strong and smart snot blowing big nasty ass center. Someone who isn’t a pushed back but still standing type. We had one back in the day and he wasn’t strong enough at the point of contact.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson