Your Day 1 Cardinals grade?

Day one Cardinal's grade?

• Total voters

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Give Monti a day one grade. Don't include the tampering that is a day two issue.

OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
To be exact what we picked up here was

Paris Johnson
Texans 1st next year
Texans 3rd next year
Pick #81
A move up from #33 to #32

What we lost was a 4th round pick. Got to be happy with that.
Essentially got a second this year and a first next year.

And traded a 4 this year for a hopefully high 3rd next year.

I think Monti wanted to give up a pick this year for a pick in a better draft.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'll go with B. Started with an F- with Monti's absolute, unforgivable idiocy. Fired me up for more of an F trading all the way out of the elite talent tier and giving up on Anderson, but that's since slowly risen to an A, given the pick haul we got for taking a player we were going to take anyway. And, though I'm not super high on Paris, he's not chopped liver. Can't stick with an A, given Monti's epic screw job and what it cost us and might later cost us, so a B it is for me.

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
One pick, two trades (down, back up) indicates to me that the Cardinals are looking long term. A bit better this season, a bit better in year 2, then, boom, really good in year 3. As much as I hated not drafting Anderson at 3, I can see the need to shore up the O-line so the offense can stay on the field longer, score more and protect the QB. This might not be a popular statement, but I’d trade DHop and Baker for 2nd or 3rd round draft picks — as many as I could get. The Cards need to build from the ground up and there’s no time like the present to do that. I understand that competitors like DHop and Baker do not want to burn their careers going through a 3-year rebuilding process. And, let’s be honest, how many games did the Cards win with those guys? Let’s focus on the future.

Pokinmik

Rookie
Reaction score
After one day of picking you can tell Monti and his crew are light years smarter and more tactical than drunk Keim ever was. I’m ecstatic with how day one went. Let’s keep loading up the trenches tonight! Maybe make another trade and get more ammo next year!

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If only we could have got Indy to swap spots and then traded with the Texans..

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'll go with B. Started with an F- with Monti's absolute, unforgivable idiocy. Fired me up for more of an F trading all the way out of the elite talent tier and giving up on Anderson, but that's since slowly risen to an A, given the pick haul we got for taking a player we were going to take anyway. And, though I'm not super high on Paris, he's not chopped liver. Can't stick with an A, given Monti's epic screw job and what it cost us and might later cost us, so a B it is for me.
Don't include the tampering that is a day two issue.

I was with ya until I read the sentence above so I changed mine to A

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Don't include the tampering that is a day two issue.

I was with ya until I read the sentence above so I changed mine to A
Personally I don't think you should be using the tampering in the draft grade at all. The act happened months ago this is just the agreed upon penalty. I'm only going to grade Monti on how he handles these three days, with pics and trades.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
B, for now, our best player on the line was the LT, not to say much but we only have now 1 year LT RT covered and after that maybe we have top LT but at least Hump then has to go, which if not traded will get you max a 3rd rounder if you are lucky. So clearly for the future but I'm not 100% sold on the plan

OmahaCardsFan

Veteran
Reaction score
my sentiment exactly. B grade here as well for same logic

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
A-

A+ for the draft maneuvering, A-/B+ for Paris - who I think will be a very good but not elite player when they could have had others that could prove elite, and I’m docking extra for the Philly tampering debacle.