2023 1st round pick is #6 Paris Johnson

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I didn't do a whole lot of Paris Johnson research. Well not as much as the defensive guys anyway.

Plus I think most of us find O line an "unsexy" pick. Like dentistry, we all know it's crucial but we don't really want to pay much attention to it.

I said the other day I can see why they would have him number one if they are switching to a wide zone run scheme like the Brown's. He's a mean run blocker that's great in space. That has played Guard and tackle which I think is also crucial for us. For all the Skoronski talk he never played anything but LT.

Happy with the pick. We have complained for years about lack of focus on the O line and trenches in general. Would not surprise me if we go trenches again. Washington at TE is a great blocker. Adebawore is still on the board at DT/DE. Foskey, Schmitz, Tippman, Benton, Ojulari, White, Avila, Dawand Jones. Lot's of options there.
I guess I'm...resigned to the pick? He's not a horrible pick, but he's worlds away from your Joe Thomases and Jonathan Ogdens. Like, not in the same stratosphere. So...meh. Not horrible, not great. The trade compensation helps make up for that.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone saw the pre draft show last night, I assume was same as here, but it had a segment on Paris and talked about him having a foundation helping veterans since HS. He has his own Beef Jerky brand where all the profits go to the foundation.

He was a journalism major and interned with Mike Garafolo during covid (remotely). Finished his degree in 3 years too. Smart dude.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is worth a watch. I like him.

Spoiler alert. Cards aren't one of the top 3 teams he picks he's like to go to :)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
This is the only thing I can criticize about this pick. Where is Paris going to play?

Yes, you can play him at G but do you take a G in the top 6?
Do you play him at RT (some players struggle with switching sides)?
He seems like a natural LT but we have a guy locked down until 2025 (that is very well respected in the building).
Once upon a time in Indianapolis Colts selected Quenten Nelson, guard, with the sixth pick in the NFL draft. Do you think they regret that?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Once upon a time in Indianapolis Colts selected Quenten Nelson, guard, with the sixth pick in the NFL draft. Do you think they regret that?

True but quite a stretch.

You are comparing an elite G prospect vs a LT that can play G?

Would love for him to be Nelson - no complaints from me.

I think Skorinksi is closer to Nelson (as a G) than Paris.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Man the negativity on the first page of this thread is a little embarrassing tbh.

They got a 1st and 3rd next year, and the Texans 1st and 3rd which are going to be pretty high, for essentially moving back 3 spots.

For a guy they love that was going to be gone by #12 that builds the trenches. Which is what we all agree they should do. And there are still a tonne of great players on the board. Although I'm fully expecting another trade back.

The tampering this was BS though. Also I hate the Eagles.

On record saying I wanted Will. Didn't happen. I liked the value they received on #3 when considering only one first round QB was left on the board and they didn't even have to get a deal done for him. Moving back up to ensure they didn't take themselves out of the 1st tier of players in the draft was also a very smart move.

If you take out the tampering charge and resulting pick swap, yesterday looks pretty good.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think you can play him at Guard. He probably will this year. And I think right tackle too. He's played on the right side at G so it shouldn't be a huge leap.

Play at LG this year while practicing at LG and RT. Move to RT next year and back to LT when Hump is done.
They might go this way. My guess is they will pencil him on the left side and hhave him win the LG spot in camp. When the Cardinals are done with DJ, they can just kick Paris out one spot.

OR

They put him at RT and just leave him there for hopefully the next 10 years.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't do a whole lot of Paris Johnson research. Well not as much as the defensive guys anyway.

Plus I think most of us find O line an "unsexy" pick. Like dentistry, we all know it's crucial but we don't really want to pay much attention to it.

I said the other day I can see why they would have him number one if they are switching to a wide zone run scheme like the Brown's. He's a mean run blocker that's great in space. That has played Guard and tackle which I think is also crucial for us. For all the Skoronski talk he never played anything but LT.

Happy with the pick. We have complained for years about lack of focus on the O line and trenches in general. Would not surprise me if we go trenches again. Washington at TE is a great blocker. Adebawore is still on the board at DT/DE. Foskey, Schmitz, Tippman, Benton, Ojulari, White, Avila, Dawand Jones. Lot's of options there.

Yeah that's my issue he was known for his run blocking not his pass blocking. So you're building an OL to protect Kyler obviously yes running the ball helps protect your QB. But if you're picking your future LT, you want a pass protector. But I said this for months, my issue in this draft is I don't think this was the draft to pick a T in the top 10 picks. Hopefully Paris pans out, he's big and apparently more athletic than I think he is, but he was not the elite pass blocking prospect LT that typically goes that high in the draft. He played 1 year of T in college and he was better at Guard than he was at Tackle because he's such a good run blocker.

I loved the trade, I'm just not a huge Paris Johnson fan but I hope he proves me wrong, seems to be a great kid.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah that's my issue he was known for his run blocking not his pass blocking. So you're building an OL to protect Kyler obviously yes running the ball helps protect your QB. But if you're picking your future LT, you want a pass protector. But I said this for months, my issue in this draft is I don't think this was the draft to pick a T in the top 10 picks. Hopefully Paris pans out, he's big and apparently more athletic than I think he is, but he was not the elite pass blocking prospect LT that typically goes that high in the draft. He played 1 year of T in college and he was better at Guard than he was at Tackle because he's such a good run blocker.

I loved the trade, I'm just not a huge Paris Johnson fan but I hope he proves me wrong, seems to be a great kid.

He has elite feet. The best in the class. His hands and technique need a little work but his footwork, getting to his point, mirroring etc are the best in the class.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose