2023 1st round pick is #6 Paris Johnson

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
So we passed on Will Anderson, Tyree Wilson and Christian Gonzales for a LG. Who had Paris Johnson as the 6th best player of the draft. I am guessing only the Cardinals. I am lost for words at how bad this off season has been.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yup. Do people really think giving up a 4th for a first and third is bad?
Well, it's dumb to give up the 4th. You think they're going to balk and not trade up if we don't toss that in? You have the balls to tell them we'll move on to other offers, and they'll be begging you to still make the trade. Never pay to trade back. Dumb.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
He’s a day one starter who can play guard or tackle on either side. He’s a foundational player that will be in AZ for many years. The Cards were never sold on Anderson. It will be interesting to see how he fares in Texas. I told you guys early on this is a conservative front office. Taking Johnson was the safest top 10 pick. He’s a solid if not flashy pick.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Well, it's dumb to give up the 4th. You think they're going to balk and not trade up if we don't toss that in? You have the balls to tell them we'll move on to other offers, and they'll be begging you to still make the trade. Never pay to trade back. Dumb.
The Cardinals fleeced both teams my guy if you look at total draft picks.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s a day one starter who can play guard or tackle on either side. He’s a foundational player that will be in AZ for many years. The Cards were never sold on Anderson. It will be interesting to see how he fares in Texas. I told you guys early on this is a conservative front office. Taking Johnson was the safest top 10 pick. He’s a solid if not flashy pick.
Hopefully it works out and we have a really good Olineman

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bears just proves they would have taken Paris Johnson by snagging Wright.

Except IMO Wright is better than Johnson.

If you're looking for a LT or RT he's better than Johnson who IMO will start at guard next year and we'll hope he can transition to T later.

ESPN just said when they asked Will Anderson who was the best player he played against in college, he said the Tennessee T(Wright).

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Did Monti forget he had the 3rd pick in the draft???????

Who cares you traded back up to 6?
I don't understand trading all the way down to #12 and then give up a second rounder to move back up. Maybe no one in Top 10 wanted to move up to #3.

Ironically, 20 years ago ARZ made arguably its greatest draft blunder passing on Terrell Suggs to move down and take Calvin Pace and Bryant Johnson only to repeat same mistake passing on Will Anderson Jr....sad.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
An honest question how is he safe if he’s only played 13 games at tackle and everyone says how much of a project he is. He is to the offensive line position that Richardson is to the QB position only difference is QBs win you games and linemen don’t.

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
ESPN analysis

Pre-Draft Analysis
Johnson gets set quickly, has outstanding length and has the upper-body strength to jar defensive linemen when he lands his punch in pass protection. He shows good mobility as a zone blocker and has the strength to move defenders off the line in the run game. He started at guard in 2021 and tackle in 2022. His footwork and hand placement really improved during his final two seasons. -- Steve Muench

Matt Miller's NFL comp: Terron Armstead

Post-Draft Analysis
The Cardinals are in desperate need of good offensive linemen, and Johnson is my top-ranked tackle in the class. With experience playing both right guard and left tackle, he has the versatility to play on either side of the line. Protecting franchise quarterback Kyler Murray is the priority in Arizona, and Johnson's length, mobility and poise in pass protection will help there. -- Matt Miller

Projected Year 1 impact: High-impact Day 1 starter. Johnson could start at guard or either tackle spot as a rookie. He immediately improves this offensive line and takes over as a starting tackle early in his career. -- Muench

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand trading all the way down to #12 and then give up a second rounder to move back up. Maybe no one in Top 10 wanted to move up to #3.

Ironically, 20 years ago ARZ made arguably its greatest draft blunder passing on Terrell Suggs to move down and take Calvin Pace and Bryant Johnson only to repeat same mistake passing on Will Anderson Jr....sad.
We were NEVER drafting Suggs after he got into trouble for alleged assaulting a guy with some rebar shortly before the draft. He shot himself in the foot.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll temper my comment on Wright after reading the NFL.com scouting reports he had the same issue I don't like with Johnson, not a great athlete.