Playoffs: Clippers @ Suns Tuesday game thread 4-25-2023 - Game 5

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Monty isn't perfect. I don't think the grass is greener with any available coaches out there. If Quinn Snyder were still available, I'd be a bit more intrigued by moving on but ditching the guy who has done nothing but overachieve with the rosters he's had isn't the right move.

We'll see if he puts Shamet into a close game again. Hopefully that doesn't happen. That was the only truly idiotic thing he did this game. I put more on the players than Monty as he can only do so much on the sideline.
That’s just it . . . he hasn’t overachieved. Over a two year period they had more regular season wins than any other club in the league. This was/is a very talented basketball team. It didn’t overachieve. Does anyone say a #2 seed who finished a game back of the best record on the league making the finals is overachieving? No. Does anyone saying the former #2 seed that finished with a club record winning bowing out embarrassingly in the second round is overachieving? No. Does scraping by each game against a team missing its two stars represent overachieving? No. There’s been no overachievement.

Monty got a young club to recognize its talent and grow into it. But at that point his value plateaued. He’s not the next step guy. Happens all the time in multiple sports. He’s not the championship coach.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the 10 minute mark to the 1 minute mark, KD never got a shot.

Sorry folks… that is a MONTY problem. Especially when the offense breaks down the way it did. He HAS to adjust there and get it in the hands of one of the greatest scorers of all time who is a matchup nightmare for anyone who guards him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah, forget the context. Where were the Suns before Monty?
No one has ever withheld credit for monty raising up a young club to play its talent. But there’s a next step that some of you refuse to acknowledge. It’s weird to me. It’s like y’all are attached to him the way he’s attached to shamet.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How's Denver's bench? I think we can match starter for starter but if they have a bench even close to LA? Oh no

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s just it . . . he hasn’t overachieved. Over a two year period they had more regular season wins than any other club in the league. This was/is a very talented basketball team. It didn’t overachieve. Does anyone say a #2 seed who finished a game back of the best record on the league making the finals is overachieving? No. Does anyone saying the former #2 seed that finished with a club record winning bowing out embarrassingly in the second round is overachieving? No. Does scraping by each game against a team missing its two stars represent overachieving? No. There’s been no overachievement.

Monty got a young club to recognize its talent and grow into it. But at that point his value plateaued. He’s not the next step guy. Happens all the time in multiple sports. He’s not the championship coach.

You say he hasn't overachieved but most picked us as a fringe playoff team the year we went to the finals. Most didn't think we'd continue our hot streak but we had the best record in the league. That's overachieving. You're only looking at it as there's 1 metric judge success, a championship, and if that's the case then there's a lot of players and coaches who never achieved anything since they didn't win a championship. Yet those very same people made it to the Hall of Fame.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool. I’ll give you your flowers if Monty can get his ass in gear and make a run at teams that dont have their star players in the infirmary. Yes, we won 4-1, but this is inarguably the least inspiring 4-1 victory in NBA history
I’m not jumping for joy right now, but I’d rather have an uninspiring 4-1 series win than be the Celtics in a 3-2 series against a terrible Hawks team or the Bucks down 1-3 against Jimmy Butler and The Buttheads he keeps carrying.

Those are supposed to be the gold standard of the league and they’re in dog fights with bad teams. We’re still in the process of figuring ourselves out and done in 5.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You say he hasn't overachieved but most picked us as a fringe playoff team the year we went to the finals. Most didn't think we'd continue our hot streak but we had the best record in the league. That's overachieving. You're only looking at it as there's 1 metric judge success, a championship, and if that's the case then there's a lot of players and coaches who never achieved anything since they didn't win a championship. Yet those very same people made it to the Hall of Fame.
You are projecting stupid argument again. When you CONTINUALLY lose playoff series you have Home Court AND ARE FAVORED IN, that’s underachieving.

I mean, even if you’re granted they overachieved in 2021, to say they ALSO overachieved the NEXT season… as the defending Western Conference Title team… who destroyed the league in the regular season… only to get EMBARASSED by a weak Dallas team that would go on to get ROUTED by GS… is patently ridiculous.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Only thing I had an issue with during all that bull crap is not letting Durant touch the ball during the run. Give it to that Clipps bench. I wish we had them dudes holy cow they got freaking hot
They were hot the whole series they destroyed our bench in every game!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Wonder if James Jones and Ishbia see it the way most of you do. Those guys both understand basketball.
What do you base that on? Jones was a role player who happened to be on some championship teams. Ishbia had a brief college career. Does everyone who has played at a high level "understand basketball"? How about all of the incompent coaches the Suns have had in recent years -- Hunter, Watson, Kokoskov. Did they all "understand basketball"? Or is possible for someone to be around the game for a long time, but still not really get it?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ishbia has no ties to Monty he’s gotta shaking his head watching this at times. Imagine one of Kawhi or George taking all of Batum and Morris’ minutes and it’s a much different series. I’ll take the injury luck given our history of being hated by the bball Gods.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That’s not overachieving. That’s people not being ready to recognize a team that’s come into its own. When the bulls went on their first tear into the postseason with Jordan and pippen it wasn’t overachieving because they hadn’t done it before. That was them arriving. That’s what this suns team did the last two years. It grew into its talent. The awful three point guard .500 team was a team that overachieved because it was a fluke season that disappeared soon thereafter. They weren’t as good as their season. The suns have proven they were as good as their two seasons. They didn’t overachieve, they played to their talent level and then collapsed under Monty’s inability to adjust.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You are projecting stupid argument again. When you CONTINUALLY lose playoff series you have Home Court AND ARE FAVORED IN, that’s underachieving.

I mean, even if you’re granted they overachieved in 2021, to say they ALSO overachieved the NEXT season… as the defending Western Conference Title team… who destroyed the league in the regular season… only to get EMBARASSED by a weak Dallas team that would go on to get ROUTED by GS… is patently ridiculous.

I'm not projecting a damn thing. You are. Quit with your BS, will you? I specifically said REGULAR SEASON!

Is your life truly so empty you need to continue twisting and contorting others words here to pick fights?

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m not jumping for joy right now, but I’d rather have an uninspiring 4-1 series win than be the Celtics in a 3-2 series against a terrible Hawks team or the Bucks down 1-3 against Jimmy Butler and The Buttheads he keeps carrying.

Those are supposed to be the gold standard of the league and they’re in dog fights with bad teams. We’re still in the process of figuring ourselves out and done in 5.
For sure. It was the least inspiring series win I can ever recall, but happy to be done in 5. That’s not lost on me.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
4th quarter Booker wouldn’t pass a bowel movement if it wasn’t a medical necessity

KD was unavailable in that quarter as well

DA shot more blanks in the 3rd quarter than a middle aged man from Chernobyl

CP3 played like a 38 year-old man on a processed food diet

Landry Shamet played like Landry Shamet

Ty Lue looked like the second coming of Phil Jackson while Monty Kingsbury was in the corner eating ******* paste

James Jones was jerking it to some old photos of LeBron.

JFC, this team pisses me off so much
Excellent! Bring some life back to this board!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What do you base that on? Jones was a role player who happened to be on some championship teams. Ishbia had a brief college career. Does everyone who has played at a high level "understand basketball"? How about all of the incompent coaches the Suns have had in recent years -- Hunter, Watson, Kokoskov. Did they all "understand basketball"? Or is possible for someone to be around the game for a long time, but still not really get it?
Right. Look at Isaiah Thomas for goodness sake!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s not overachieving. That’s people not being ready to recognize a team that’s come into its own. When the bulls went on their first tear into the postseason with Jordan and pippen it wasn’t overachieving because they hadn’t done it before. That was them arriving. That’s what this suns team did the last two years. It grew into its talent. The awful three point guard .500 team was a team that overachieved because it was a fluke season that disappeared soon thereafter. They weren’t as good as their season. The suns have proven they were as good as their two seasons. They didn’t overachieve, they played to their talent level and then collapsed under Monty’s inability to adjust.

I'm not saying just the league wasn't ready or talking head or posters, literally no one expected the Suns to be contenders. That's overachieving. They were a nice story in the bubble who took a chance on a PG no one else wanted and everyone thought was washed in CP3 and made it to the finals. That's overachieving and that's largely why he won coaching awards for the turn around here. He did a lot with a little. Now he doesn't have as much and we're going to see what happens in Denver.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Book kd duo is deadly i have full faith in batman and robin vs the nuggets

This team on a missiion :)

Very excited i cant zzz now... lol

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget Nash against Dallas in 2005. That's still the gold standard.
That was an amazing series also.

Jesus… I just realized Devin also had 10 assists and 8 rebounds.

47/10/8… in a close out game we were down 10 in the 3rd quarter.

That’s insane.

And a reason I really don’t worry about rebuilding in 3 years. Guys WANT to play with Book. More guys will the more he’s entrenched as a playoff murderer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson