CFB & Prospect Discussion Thread:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually don’t get how you can dislike Tyree, but love Van Ness & I don’t like either of them.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually don’t get how you can dislike Tyree, but love Van Ness & I don’t like either of them.

Van Ness has all the things Tyree has but without all the horrible stuff.

Van Ness gets off like launched from a cannon. While also limited moves he has a push-pull and rip that Tyree doesn't have. His hand use is better.

Tyree's lack of these things gives me major concerns about either his work ethic or ability to learn which I don't have with Van Ness.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Van Ness has all the things Tyree has but without all the horrible stuff.

Van Ness gets off like launched from a cannon. While also limited moves he has a push-pull and rip that Tyree doesn't have. His hand use is better.

Tyree's lack of these things gives me major concerns about either his work ethic or ability to learn which I don't have with Van Ness.
Blinded by your dislike of Tyree, my guy.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NFL prospect Hendon Hooker says he is the best quarterback in the draft: 'I would have myself at No. 1'

Hendon Hooker's final season with Tennessee ended in disappointment when he tore an ACL Nov. 19 against South Carolina.

Before the season-ending knee injury, he had thrown 27 touchdowns against just two interceptions while completing 69.6% of his passes for 3,135 yards, both career-highs. He also ran for 430 yards on 104 carries, five of them for scores.

In his four years with the Vols and Virginia Tech Hokies, he threw for 8,974 yards while completing 66.9% of his passes with 80 touchdowns through the air and just a dozen picks. He established himself at Tennessee, where he threw for 58 touchdowns and 6,080 yards.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Blinded by your dislike of Tyree, my guy.

I dislike him because of all the bad elements in his game. Nothing more :)

He might turn out great with a lot of work but if I'm a GM he's not even in my top 5 Edge.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This Edge class is so good it makes me doubt Anderson at #3.

I think Anderson is great but this class is just nuts. There are guys going to go in the teens that would be top 5 most years. Guys in the 20s who would be top 10.

Kayvon Thibodeaux went #5 last year and I reckon in this class he might go late teens or early #20s.

With that in mind is there not better value in trading back? I think you might get 95% of Anderson and a haul at #11.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This Edge class is so good it makes me doubt Anderson at #3.

I think Anderson is great but this class is just nuts. There are guys going to go in the teens that would be top 5 most years. Guys in the 20s who would be top 10.

Kayvon Thibodeaux went #5 last year and I reckon in this class he might go late teens or early #20s.

With that in mind is there not better value in trading back? I think you might get 95% of Anderson and a haul at #11.
Eh, I get where you're coming from, but this is kind of the...I don't want to say "smartest guy in the room" kind of stuff, because I'm not trying to paint you with the Keim brush. I think it's more convincing yourself to settle for less than because you can get something else. I'm not seeing 95% of Anderson in any of the other guys. He's better than the rest of the class. If we're looking for a top edge, he's the guy IMO.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eh, I get where you're coming from, but this is kind of the...I don't want to say "smartest guy in the room" kind of stuff, because I'm not trying to paint you with the Keim brush. I think it's more convincing yourself to settle for less than because you can get something else. I'm not seeing 95% of Anderson in any of the other guys. He's better than the rest of the class. If we're looking for a top edge, he's the guy IMO.

I agree on paper. Although I also except that once these guys hit the NFL their career arcs change drastically due to all those intangibles.

I agree that Anderson is the best Edge right now but I think there are some guys there that could be good right away and overtake him in years to come. If you want a true 5T in a 4 man front then there may well be better fits than Anderson. I do think he could do it, just maybe not as effectively as a standup 9 or 7. On saying that Gannon had Sweat and Reddick and made good use of them.

Let's say there is a 10% drop right now between Anderson and Van Ness but Van Ness has plenty of room to grow and you can trade back and add 5 more top 100 picks over the next 2 years, including 2 more in the top 25, is that not worth it?

Just Anderson or Van Ness and 5 top 100 picks.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree on paper. Although I also except that once these guys hit the NFL their career arcs change drastically due to all those intangibles.

I agree that Anderson is the best Edge right now but I think there are some guys there that could be good right away and overtake him in years to come. If you want a true 5T in a 4 man front then there may well be better fits than Anderson. I do think he could do it, just maybe not as effectively as a standup 9 or 7. On saying that Gannon had Sweat and Reddick and made good use of them.

Let's say there is a 10% drop right now between Anderson and Van Ness but Van Ness has plenty of room to grow and you can trade back and add 5 more top 100 picks over the next 2 years, including 2 more in the top 25, is that not worth it?

Who are your top 5 edge players in this years draft? Just wondering. thanks.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
NFL prospect Hendon Hooker says he is the best quarterback in the draft: 'I would have myself at No. 1'

Hendon Hooker's final season with Tennessee ended in disappointment when he tore an ACL Nov. 19 against South Carolina.

Before the season-ending knee injury, he had thrown 27 touchdowns against just two interceptions while completing 69.6% of his passes for 3,135 yards, both career-highs. He also ran for 430 yards on 104 carries, five of them for scores.

In his four years with the Vols and Virginia Tech Hokies, he threw for 8,974 yards while completing 66.9% of his passes with 80 touchdowns through the air and just a dozen picks. He established himself at Tennessee, where he threw for 58 touchdowns and 6,080 yards.
If I wore the dark suit and signed the checks, after I was satisfied that I accumulated enough on both lines in the draft, and he was available in round 3/4 I go for him. TN plays a pro offense which is a big plus. That's why we can have fun with this banter without getting too serious!

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Ossie wants to trade back

We may have to temper our expectations for Anderson

Trading down could net the Cardinals a bounty of draft picks, and Ossenfort would like to add more players.

“I think we’re trying to get as many good players and good people on the team as possible,” Ossenfort said.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Don't forget that Anderson is playing with significantly better players all around him.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Yep Anderson is not a 5 tech. His stats plummeted last year being used there. If you want a 5 tech, trade back and draft Van Ness.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
PFFs Tyree video in here is everything in my brain about him

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Thanks, interesting that you don't have Wilson in there but I know from your posts that you are not high on him. Now watch the Cards pick him. :bang:
I'd take Wilson over Van Ness.

I see it as:
1a Anderson
1b Wilson
2a Van Ness
2b Nolan Smith
3 McDonald
4 Murphy

Anderson and Wilson are very different. Wilson and Van Ness are more similar, but Wilson is better than Van Ness right now because he's a beast against the run, while Van Ness is good.

Anderson and Smith are more similar. Both will not be lined up as 4-3 ends if you can help it. McDonald is closer to these two.

Murphy is a good player but something is missing.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Nick Hampton is the guy to take a flyer on later. If he bulks up and maintains 90% of his explosiveness, he could be an amazing player.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
He's probably a 3rd guy that you take if this kind of scenario happened:
Trade back to 11. Anderson, Wilson, Van Ness gone. Take Gonzalez. Round 2 take Schmitz and then Benton with additional 2nd rounder. Byron Young at 66.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Everyone picks Benton in the 3rd or 4th in mocks. He likely goes top 50.
No, they don't. ;)

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
When it comes to analyzing a top D prospect...I fully trust Monti and JG. If they don't love Will Anderson...I can accept that.

I would be surprised and disappointed but would accept it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave